2010 European Tour Dates Announced!!!

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: 2010 European Tour Dates Announced!!!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:00 pm

http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2010 ... sh-clouds/

http://www.newsweek.com/id/236525

Still pretty daunting...I don't think I'd want to be on a plane that was flying into/through a volcanic ash cloud....so I hope the winds and rain dissipate them and that the volcano goes back to sleep.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:11 pm

The problem I have with that first article was that they were traveling over a volcanic ash cloud as it was coming directly out of the volcano :shock: in this particular case, the ash cloud has traveled over the ocean to England and just settled there. Glass particles and whatnot, being heavier than air, will have had time to settle, as it travels through the air, to the ground. By the time it gets to England (or the countries in Europe we're worried about), we're talking about a fine mist that will have little, if any, heavy metals in it anymore. So while it's true if you're flying through a volcanic ash cloud directly over a volcano, that isn't really the case here.

The second article was REALLY interesting, though! It looks like it's an ash cloud that's floating at just about the same height as a plane flies (the ash is floating at about 20,000 - 30,000 ft and a plane usually travels at about 30-35,000 ft) so the plane can't really go ABOVE it. But is that how high the cloud is sitting over Europe? Or how high the cloud is sitting over the volcano?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:14 pm

SW wrote:I should have asked Todd about opening for FOTC (he was standing next to me for a portion of Eugene's act) but at the time I couldn't be arsed - LOL.

SW, how were last night's shows? Did you get any pics or talk to either afterwards? :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Hopeful results from test flights

-- If the ash cloud continues "moving as it moves, then tomorrow almost 50 percent of European [Union] space will be risk free," EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas said.

-- Results of test flights show "there's no impact" in European Union air space from the volcanic ash that has disrupted air travel this week, according to EU Secretary of State Diego Lopez Garrido.

-- A spokeswoman for KLM -- one of the airlines that conducted test flights -- told CNN the flights show European air space is safe with the exception of Iceland.

Source

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:21 am

No problems were encountered during the test flight from Heathrow Airport across the UK this evening too.

The uncertainty of it all is pretty unsettling though. :?
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 pm

I stayed away from this story for almost 24 hrs coz it was doing my head in (what if FOTC can get to Europe but I can't? What if I can but they can't? What if nobody can? etc etc :rolleyes: ). I've just read a few articles and I'm glad (1) that outrage is picking up - people are tired of the complete ineptitude and lack of leadership in this situation Passengers can't just live on airport floor for undetermined amounts of time. It seems efforts are in place to start moving stranded people along now, it's way ovedue. I would livid and more than a bit crazy if I had spent 5 days in an airport with no word of when I'd get out. (2) Spanish airports are open as are most in Southern Europe (3) There is a movement to really get planes going (4) People studying the volcano say the plume is now lower and there is lava in it rather than magma (or something like that) and much of the ice cap has melted. They don't expect it to continue causing the same type of problems. My fingers are crossed that by the end of the week, if not sooner, everyone stranded will have returned home and normal flights can resume.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Phew! Yeah, I, too, was wondering who thought that no airports in Europe for an indeterminite amount of time was going to be acceptable or even plausible! Glad to see they're moving people...

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Yay! :whitey:

Air traffic is close to normal in Norway today (for now) :D There is one more cloud coming in to make more trouble in the next 48 hours, but with the situation on the mend in Iceland I'm hoping that'll be the end of it :)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:28 pm

So the twitter breaking news feed just said that the volcano Hekla had begun erupting and I was all "Ohhhh crap". But then it looks like now that it was a hoax. Looks like the webcam for Hekla is actually pointed towards efbasodifalkdsjfluu or whatever. Looks like it's flowing lava now...does this mean it's better for ash but worse for the people of iceland? I hope they are going to be ok!

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:01 pm

I read that tweet from @BreakingNews about Hekla erupting but yes it's definitely a hoax. :roll:

I'm so glad the volcanic ash cloud has diminished significantly and that UK flights look set to resume tomorrow. I really hope that the worst is over. :)
&

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Me too, Venus! It looks like the volcano is done spewing ash and is now moving on to actual lava. Which is going to be good for those of us at a distance from Iceland, but probably not so good for those IN Iceland :?

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:16 pm

True, true. It is quite a worrying situation for those who are quite close to the actual volcano although I think the area is quite remote. I hope everyone in the area keeps safe.
&

Egbert Nobacon
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Egbert Nobacon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:45 pm

UK airspace should finally begin to re-open on Tuesday. Well, probably! Be off with you, ash!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8630455.stm

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

I received my ticket for the Wemble Arena gig in the post today :D :cheer:

It is still unlikely that I will be able to make it but it looks so good up on my pin board. I've been applying for jobs in the UK so I'll hold on to it for a while, on the off chance that I get an interview, which would mean I had to go over anyway :halo: (If only I could make money daydreaming...I'd be loaded! :lol: )
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Yay! I got my ticket last week too (I could have chosen the e-ticket option but I just had to get a mailed-out paper version as a memento)! :cheer:

Aww biscuit, it would be great to see you again so I really hope you get to go! :D

Posted on Manchester Apollo's Twitter page:

Due to other commitments, Kristen Schaal will not be appearing with FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS. The special guest will now be EUGENE MIRMAN.

Source

This hasn't been confirmed yet for the other dates Kristen was scheduled to open for though. 8)
&

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”