Eugene Mirman

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Eugene Mirman

Postby LauraK » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:12 am

Oooo, the scene of no one laughing was awkward, :lol:

It's on tonight, eh? Let us know how it was, Venus!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

rotunda
Lost but happy at sea

Postby rotunda » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:07 pm

Oh I saw most of this last night (in out of sequence chunks unfortunately), it was really good.

Both of them struggled with performing, Phil's nerves seemed to get the better of him at one point and Eugene had a really odd audience to work with Edinburgh. :? I thought he did great but they weren't feeling his routine at all.

Not in a million years could I do what they do. It would terrify me.

Eugene saying 'slutty grandmas' in front of elderly women. Fantastic. :lol:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Yes I watched it and I really enjoyed too! As rotunda said, there were a few occasions when both Eugene and Phil kinda struggled and endured some awkward silences when certain jokes didn't go down well with the audience or just didn't really translate. Overall though, they did really well, especially at the end when Phil played at Comix in NYC and Eugene played at the Comedy Store in London. Kristen Schaal made an appearance on the show too when she took Phil out in NYC to give him an insight into the type of guy Eugene is and she also compared the comedy scene in America to the UK amongst other things. I loved it when Eugene made a reference to paedophilia on a UK morning radio show and the look on Gethin Jones' (the presenter) face was priceless. :lol:

I agree, rotunda. It takes a lot of courage for stand-up comedians to do what they do so much kudos to them!

Comedy Exchange is currently only a pilot so far but I think the whole premise of the show is a really good idea so hopefully it will be comissioned for a full series. :)

For anyone who missed it, it's going to be repeated at 9pm tonight on Dave (and since it's on Dave, I'm sure it will be repeated quite regularly ;) )
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 pm

I'd love to see that. I hope BBC or Ovation at least runs it here.

Eugene is going to be a guest on the WFMU live talk show on March 24, "The Seven Second Delay" held every Wednesday at 6 p.m. (US CST). Ken Friedman and Andy Breckman host the show. It's pretty chaotic but also hilarious. If you're in NYC, it's in the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater and costs $5 to get in. This week's guests are Eugene and Franklin Bruno. It will also be archived within about two hours of the show's conclusion.

Disclaimer: I perpetually sponsor Ken's show with my 'FMU donations (well, perpetually for two years), and he now carries the name "Prince of Parties."
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Eugene and Kristen are going to be at UCB-LA this Tuesday at Comedy Death Ray! $5. I'm so there!

:yay:

LA residents-Go here and click on the flyer to purchase tickets. http://comedydeathray.tumblr.com/post/475138262/cdr-tix-now-onsale-with-kevin-nealon-eugene

I also highly recommend staying after for the CDR sketch with Matt Besser and Ben Schwartz.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:35 am

I wish I was in the LA area. And $5 tickets, that's so cheap.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Cross-posting from the Kristen Schaal thread.

I went to Comedy Death Ray last night to see her and Eugene Mirman. We had dinner at a japanese restaurant next door before the show and guess who walked in? Yep. Kristen Schaal accompanied by two friends. They were sitting within earshot from us. Eugene came in shortly after. Their voices contrast with each other so well. :lol: I wanted to say hi but I didn't want to bother them during their dinner. I figured I would greet them outside. 4ever was making fun of me for "Mel-ing" Mel. I didn't get to meet them. :( It started getting crowded outside so when they left the restaurant, they aimed for a different entrance.

Other guests that came: Anthony Jeselnik, Nick Swardson, Kevin Nealon. Kristen came out after Anthony as a character named Kris Skol (Chris Schol?), a New York comedian who told mainly sexist jokes. After a few minutes she took off her baseball cap to reveal that it was really her the whole time (gasp!) and that we should all be ashamed of ourselves for laughing at such sexist humor. She said the whole audience looked like we needed to get laid and then shared with us a few pick up lines and taught us how to give "the most amazing blowjobs." :roll2: Stay tuned for her sex book.

Eugene came out after because he wanted to do business with us. He had a stack of business cards that he had been collecting and he wrote little messages of each of them. He passed them out to various audience members but my sister and I left empty handed. I wish I could remember a few of his inspirational messages but the only thing I could remember is that they were funny as hell.

Fans in Virginia - You could see Kristen at Arlington Drafthouse next month.

http://www.arlingtondrafthouse.com/?page=event&eid=491

Eugene has a few dates too.

Sun, Apr 11 Tearing the Veil of Maya Union Hall, Brooklyn, NY
Thu, Apr 15 Book release for the Believer's You’re a Horrible Person, But I Like You Jewish Community Center, San Francisco, CA
Sun, Apr 18 Tearing the Veil of Maya Union Hall, Brooklyn, NY
Thu, Apr 22 Radio Happy Hour University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
Sun, May 2 The Bamboozle Meadowlands Sports Complex, East Rutherford, NJ
Tue, May 4 Fairleigh Dickinson University (w/ Leo Allen, Michael Showalter, Kumail Nanjiani)
Wed, May 5 Eugene Mirman and Pretty Good Friends (w/ Michael Showalter, Leo Allen and Kumail Nanjiani) Black Cat, Washington, DC
Thu, May 20 John Wesley Harding's Cabinet of Wonders Le Poisson Rouge, New York, NY
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:47 am

Did anyone else happen to catch Eugene on the Colbert Report last night? He walked on for a very short sketch, playing Stephen's spiritual guide Chief Wandering Meadow. It was a little weird. :rolleyes:

You can watch it here, it starts about 8 minutes in. :D

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Bumping this thread to tell you all about our meetup for Dinner For Schmucks in NYC July 31. I got to the Village Pourhouse first, followed soonafter by SW. As we were chatting, all of a sudden, who walks in but...Eugene! What??? I said his name, he came over to our table and we introduced ourselves and told him where we had seen him, we exchanged pleasantries and then he was off to a private function in the back of the restaurant. He was in his traditional black, making those blue eyes even bluer.

But in the huge city of New York, can you believe that the day of a FoTC meetup, in the scheduled meeting place, we bump into Eugene??? :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Sun May 29, 2011 12:10 am

Eugene Mirman is not happy with the Time Warner cable service, to say the least. :)

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/customer ... mpany.html

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 am

After watching him rant about a certain airline and reading this letter, I certainly wouldn't want to get on his bad side. :worry:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun May 29, 2011 2:57 pm

He's so weird. :lol: His experience sounds exactly like ones I've had with Jennifer Convertibles (oh really, you knocked on my door around 1pm and no one answered? That's funny, I was there the whole time, sitting on the deck, which is right over the front door. I also have a phone and you have that number, if I wasn't there why didn't you call? It wouldn't be because you went home after lunch coz it was 4th of July weekend. And thanks to your jerkiness I now have only a deck chair for living room furniture for an entire month) and Verizon THE WORST PHONE COMPANY EVER IF YOU NEED HELP WITH A LAND LINE but who cares about that now, land lines are so 2001 but I'm still holding on to the bitterness, in case you can't tell.
90% evil
ImageImage

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:37 am

I love Eugene, both the comedian and the FOTC character. :) I was snorting my way through this letter, particularly his bit about Yelp and Jeffrey Dahmer. Heh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 am

Spotted: Eugene Mirman on the exhibit floor at SDCC this past Saturday. I immediately turned around and started following him to say "Hi" but lost him in the crowd. He was there promoting the upcoming season of Bob's Burgers.

A little clip from the panel: http://youtu.be/zpaR4Jpb8Xg

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:48 pm

:lol: I'm so glad it's coming back...I wasn't sure. :) I love Eugene and Kristin on Bob's Burgers.

Hearing H Jon's voice makes me pine for Archer. Did you attend their panel? Too bad they don't bring over Eugene for Archer....he'd make a great addition as a baddie, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujuFc8RWssI

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan- ... the-raunch
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”