Dublin - May 5 2010 - Tour stop #3

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Dublin - May 5 2010 - Tour stop #3

Postby Nancy » Thu May 06, 2010 4:14 am

Good for you, FS! :thumb:

BigN, sorry you were disappointed about their show, but admit it - it was great to see them live in front of you, bantering away, wasn't it? Granted, you caught them on a tough night after such a hassle getting to Dublin, and as mock said, maybe all of their luggage and props/costumes didn't make it in time for the show. Such are the perils of touring, I'm afraid. I'm glad you'll be seeing them tomorrow night. Hopefully they'll be more rested and they'll do more of your favorites. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

crazydog
New arrival

Postby crazydog » Thu May 06, 2010 9:42 am

Do the guys usually do a m&G? Anyone know about what time? I'm heading to the show tonight and would love to meet the guys!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu May 06, 2010 9:57 am

So far, no M&G's at any of the gigs.

As to if the=is may change, who knows. Usually find the artists exit/backstage door and loiter round there for as long as it takes or until someone kindly tells you they left already. Which means they didn't want to do a M&G for whatever reason and left some other way.

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Thu May 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm sorry I've only gotten round now to posting a review. The internet on my phone was misbehaving.

So last night was so fantastic it's only hitting me now! When the curtain rose up and they were there on the stage it was such a surreal moment. I've watched these guys and listened to their music for the last year constantly, and for a long time never even thought about seeing them live because I thought it was simply never going to happen. But there they were, sitting on a stage in Dublin with me in the audience.

I'm finding it difiicult to pick out specific things that I liked. The costume change had my jaw on the floor :thud: . Thankfully I got it on video :D
I'll tell ye now that every single photo I took is blurry. Every, single, one! I got 4 videos and 2 of them are decent (or indecent in the case of Demon Woman). Picture and video wise it was a great "full rehersal" for tonight!

(sorry for any spelling mistakes. This computer doesn't have spell checker)

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Thu May 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Can't wait to see your indecent video of Demon Woman, kipples. :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Definitely- you and I must have similar cameras. :lol:

I'm so happy for you!! I agree with your feeling of it being surreal having them right there in front of you. They make us so happy and then getting to see and hear them live? Bliss. :heart:

Can't wait to see your video- and the pics, too. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu May 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Kipples I remember that SAME feeling! It was electric, wasn't it? Just this feeling of "Holy crap, I've watched these guys and listened to these guys and here they are, 10 feet in front of me". It was...like you said. Surreal. I remember wishing I could bottle that feeling and keep it for my worst days to cheer me up :nod:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu May 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Excellent! Thanks for sharing your experience, kipples. Can't wait to see your videos and pics. Hope you have another enjoyable night tonight. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu May 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Kelly, if anyone could bottle that joy, I know I'd buy it as a cure for crummy days. It was such a terrific feeling to know they were in the same building as I was! Ecstacy!!!

Kipples, so glad you had a good time, and I, too have tons of blurry Radio City pics from the pit, but my video came out pretty well. Maybe I should have read the camera instructions more closely. :roll:

Here's hoping you get wonderful shots tonight!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Thu May 06, 2010 6:07 pm

KSP-you summed up my feelings exactly!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 07, 2010 2:20 am

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fea ... 62666.html

There are a few spoilery bits, so read at your own peril. :)

The Irish Times - Thursday, May 6, 2010

Flight of the Conchords

Kevin Courtney

Olympia, Dublin Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, “formerly New Zealand’s fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo,” seem to have taken superstardom in their stride. With a hit HBO TV series, two hit albums, and sellout tours around the world, Flight Of The Conchords are flying high, but at the first of their two Dublin shows, Bret and Jemaine seem to have their feet on the ground – and their asses on two very wobbly stools.

“This is the only thing I don’t like about Dublin,” deadpans Jemaine as he rocks precariously from side to side.
You could say Flight of the Conchords are between two stools – too funny to be a straight-up rock band, too musical to be a serious stand-up comedy act.

“There’ll be songs, and some talking between songs, and, er, that’s it,” they warn us. For the loyal fans who have packed the Olympia, that’s more than enough.

No musical genre is safe from the pair’s spot-on parodies, but they’re at their best when making fun of the alpha-male attitudes of soul, funk and hip-hop.

Ladies Of The World gets more priapic – and preposterous – than Prince, Bret’s falsetto and Jemaine’s baritone executing a pincer movement on their multitudinous quarry; in contrast, Business Time is a quickie bedtime story that’s over in two minutes. The Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room) sees them damning a poor dame with faint praise, while Think About It takes Marvin Gaye’s social conscience and drags it down an alley for a good kicking.

They switch to medieval madrigal mode for a new song about “wooing a lady”, go a bit OK Computer on Robots , and then go completely Serge Gainsbourg for Foux Du Fafa , but they opt to do only one track, Demon Woman , from their new album, I Told You I Was Freaky . When they perform it, though, they rip their shirts and jeans off to reveal superhero glam sequins. So, some songs, some talking between songs, and one costume change. I knew fame would turn their heads.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri May 07, 2010 8:31 pm

&

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri May 07, 2010 8:33 pm

&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri May 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Ohh boy, Venus, those are some really good photos of both of them!

:thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat May 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Yes, those pics are amazing! :D

It’s Business Time – an evening with Flight of the Conchords
Saturday, May 8th, 2010

Guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk music fans were treated to a fantastic night’s entertainment this week as Flight of the Conchords took to the stage at Dublin’s Olympia Theatre.

Of course, a gig wouldn’t be a truly good gig unless there was a story to tell, so Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajokul, kindly stepped up to the plate and once more spread a plume of volcanic ash into the sky, resulting in Irish airspace being closed. This did not deter the Conchords though; they made it to Dublin on a bus. Troopers.

Our very own David O’Doherty, who had just returned from Australia, supported Flight of the Conchords. O’Doherty combined dryly sarcastic comments about the every day and the mundane with tunes played on his miniature keyboard. He well and truly warmed the audience up with his self-deprecating comments about his French trousers and his observations about the rage levels of passengers who travel in the ‘quiet’ carriages of trains. O’Doherty’s musical whimsy set the tone for the evening and he walked off stage to rapturous applause.

After a short interval the audience happily crammed back into their seats and as the curtain rose to the opening chords of The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) the audience roared their delight at the Conchords having made it to Dublin at all. Bret and Jemaine are noted for their understated style of comedy that relies on the easy interaction between them, silliness and awkwardness. Fans of the HBO TV show that catapulted the duo to fame will be aware of the fact that Flight are the Conchords are nothing if not self deprecating; Bret and Jemaine showed this off to full effect on stage.

The duo gave an outline as to how the show would operate, how the balance would be struck between songs and talk; ‘talk, talk, song, talk’ then launched into firm favourites including The Humans are Dead, Jenny and Hiphopopatamus vs. Rhymenoceros. Bret and Jemaine also had a surprise guest touring with them – The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, also known as Nigel; one man and his cello. This is another example of the Conchords’ self deprecating sense of humour, the self in this case extending to their home land, New Zealand.

The Conchords mixed their established material – including I’m Not Crying and Foux Da Fa Fa – with new songs. Woo A Lady tells the long and extremely complicated story of Jemaine trying to, well, woo a lady in 1353. Bus Driver’s Song pretty much is what you would expect – a song sung by a bus driver as he takes tourists around a small town. Sounds tedious, but the air of whimsy and slight bewilderment added by Bret and Jemaine themselves made the songs work.

It is easy to confuse Flight of the Conchords with their contemporaries The Mighty Boosh, and to that end, it could have been a disappointing show for fans of the Boosh who expected similar from the Conchords. Whereas The Mighty Boosh put on, for want of a better phrase, a play, Flight of the Conchords rely on their music for the comedy factor and really strip down the live show into the main components that made the TV show so strong – Bret and Jemaine.

Bret and Jemaine handled heckling from the crowd with ease and enjoyment, and when someone shouted ‘Play some Prince’ from the back, they spontaneously began to play Kiss which very smoothly led into Business Time. The duo mixed it up a bit in the middle of the set with Demon Woman, and while Bret and Jemaine’s stage clothes very easily tore away to reveal the rhinestone cat suits underneath, they took several minutes to reassemble, which just added awkwardness to silliness and the crowd loved it. For the encore David O’Doherty came out and joined the lads on drums for the wonderful Bowie, then with a wave and a ‘We like you’ the Conchords were gone.

The show did feel slightly short, and the toy piano displayed prominently on stage was sadly never used, but the show was late starting due to volcanic interruptions to travel plans. It would be easy to say that we were robbed, having missed out on songs like I Told You I Was Freaky and Sugalumps – both of which were on the set list for Amsterdam the night before – but honestly, the crowd seemed so happy that the Conchords actually made it to Dublin they were willing to forgive this, and other small errors that, at the end of the day, didn’t really detract from the show at all.

Source
&

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”