Manchester - May 8 2010 - Tour stop # 5

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Manchester - May 8 2010 - Tour stop # 5

Postby Sherry » Thu May 06, 2010 7:26 am

Please post about the first Manchester gig in this thread. Only 'post gig' related conversation here please :)

Please ensure you have read the Gig section rules (and if you've not done so already, the general forum rules) before posting.

Save your real lusting/swooning for the Brettylicious Flytour & Jemaliscious Business hours are definately not over threads and keep these actual gig threads more discussion based and less lustful (if that is even remotely possible :roll: :lol: ).

WTF! CHAT ROOM - Click here to enter - Feel free to join us for a chat, a bit of a laugh and a catch up before, during & after the gig. :)

To kick start it, here is the tour poster from the May 8 Manchester gig by Rhys Cooper

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: Manchester - May 8 2010 - Tour stop # 5

Postby Sherry » Sat May 08, 2010 9:17 pm

The chat is open if you want to join us :)

I've not looked for anything on the gig tonight. I'm all Twittered out. I'm sure some decent news from the gig will get to the internets soon though.

JaHawk2009
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JaHawk2009 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:35 pm

On the way home from gig. Will post a review in the morning. Just a note tell you that the conchords played from 8:45 until 10:45, so a good 2 hour show with an amazing encore.

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Sat May 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Awesome JaHawk! Can't wait to read your review. :D

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Sun May 09, 2010 12:10 am

2H! That's awesome!! no M&G, then?
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

JaHawk2009
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JaHawk2009 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:18 am

If there was a Meet n Greet, I didn't stick around for it.
P.S. If anyone is interested, the setlist was something like:

Dicks on the Dancefloor
Most Beautiful Girl
Hurt Feelings
Robots
Jenny
Think About It
Woo a Lady (New Song)
Mutha*Uckas
Ladies of the World
You Don't Love Me (New Song, I think...)
I'm Not Crying
Carol Brown
Bowie
Demon Woman

Encore:
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
Business Time
Bus Driver's Song
We're Both in Love With a Sexy Lady
Sugalumps (New Arrangment)

EDIT: Remembered the missing songs!!
Last edited by JaHawk2009 on Sun May 09, 2010 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

kipples

Postby kipples » Sun May 09, 2010 12:23 am

SUGALUMPS!!!!

JaHawk2009
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JaHawk2009 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:29 am

Sugalumps was amazing. Bret was climbing on seats in the audience and inviting people to photograph the Party Prince's Sugalumps. :rock:

Amanda

Postby Amanda » Sun May 09, 2010 12:33 am

:o :thud:

Can't wait for my skandinavian tour!! :whitey:
:pray: i wish the volcano behaves and let us all reach our destination safely :pray:

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun May 09, 2010 12:35 am

Ooh la la!! :eyelashes: :whistle:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun May 09, 2010 12:54 am

So it's starting to look a little more like last year's US tour setlist. Thanks for posting, JaHawk. Can't wait to hear more tomorrow. :popcorn:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

JaHawk2009
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JaHawk2009 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:00 am

Well. Since I can't sleep, I'll do my mini-review now.

My first Conchords gig. I'd been excited for weeks and the time had finally come. So me and my friend arrived at the Manchester Apollo at 6pm and there was already a sizable queue outside. After waiting around 45 minutes for the doors to open, we were finally inside and we headed straight to the merchandise table. I bought a Tea-Towel, a gig exclusive Lithograph (Poster) and an "I Told You I Was Freaky" vinyl. My friend bought a poster and a T-Shirt. (For once merchandise was a reasonable price. This is a rarity at the Apollo) After we'd purchased our spoils, we found our seats and waited for the fun to begin. At around 8pm, Eugene Mirman was welcomed to the stage by Jemaine's Bowie impression.
He'll make you laugh so hard, you'll not only be peeing on yourself, but everyone in a 3-seat radius. It'll be disgusting but you'll say; "It's alright, because we're having a fabulous time."

Eugene performed a 30-40 minute set of stand-up before leaving the stage. Now, I really didn't know what to expect from Eugene but his stand-up skills are amazing and you're in for a treat if he is supporting when you see FOTC live this year. Unfortunately, sometime during Eugene's time on stage, the man behind me spilled his beer, therefore making my lovely tea-towel perpetually stink of alcohol and yeast :( .

At 8:45, the Conchords appeared. Wearing the Robot helmets and playing 'Dicks on the Dance-floor'. This was a great opener and it really got the crowd going. This was followed by a brilliant set similar to the previous sets for this tour as well as the 2009 USA tour sets. The real surprises started during Bowie, when Jemaine and Bret underwent a slick costume change in the middle of the song whilst the lights were down. They finished the main set with 'Demon Woman' before leaving the stage.

Not 5 minutes later, they were back on stage performing 'Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros' After this, audience members were still yelling requests as Bret asked;
How long have you got, eh Manchester?
They followed 'HvR' with a great version of 'Business Time'
Oh, you're so good at making love Jemaine! Thank you me-putting-on-a-lady's-voice.
After this Bret went off stage and came back announcing they would perform a few more songs. A great rendition of 'Bus Driver's Song' was shortly followed by a lovely 'We're Both in Love With a Sexy Lady' which immediately led into a slowed-down, re-arranged rendition of 'Sugalumps'.

All in all, a brilliant performance from both the Conchords and Eugene Mirman (and not forgetting the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Nigel) and I would be more than happy to pay for tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday if my exams didn't begin this week.
Last edited by JaHawk2009 on Sun May 09, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 09, 2010 1:03 am

I must ask, Jahawk, since you didn't specifically mention it. But was the Sugalumps rendition accompanied by them teasing the first few rows with said sugalumps? :waggle:

I'm just curious :whistle:

kipples

Postby kipples » Sun May 09, 2010 1:04 am

Aww cool! Sounds like it was pretty good :D

Where were your seats?

JaHawk2009
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JaHawk2009 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:06 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:I must ask, Jahawk, since you didn't specifically mention it. But was the Sugalumps rendition accompanied by them teasing the first few rows with said sugalumps? :waggle:

I'm just curious :whistle:

Well, Jemaine was lying down on the front of the stage thrusting and Bret was jumping on chairs inviting people to get a closer look at his bouncing Sugalumps, so yes, more than a bit of teasing. Bret also invited one girl to come to the stage and touch them, but when she did, Bret shouted
Security! I need some help!!
and then winked at the girl. :rock:

P.S. My seats were about 8 rows from the back, but I still had an amazing view because of the slight tilt the Apollo's floor has to it.
Last edited by JaHawk2009 on Sun May 09, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”