Manchester - May 8 2010 - Tour stop # 5

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: Manchester - May 8 2010 - Tour stop # 5

Postby SheWolf » Tue May 11, 2010 12:27 am

That's fine. It's just that they are also the same clothes we've seen them in during last year's tour so some of us were a bit confused at first.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 11, 2010 12:30 am

Oh Paranoia....they take good care of their things. They consistently wear the same clothes....and I love it! :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 11, 2010 2:08 am

Could it be the folks in the photos are people we saw last year or the year before, making me feel deja vu-y? :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 11, 2010 2:13 am

I don't see why not! :) We're a loyal bunch who go to show after show if it's at all do-able...that might just explain it.
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue May 11, 2010 6:07 pm

May 11, 2010
Flight of the Conchords at the Apollo, Manchester
Dominic Maxwell

4/5 stars

Have Flight of the Conchords gone beyond a joke? Arriving on stage in Manchester with boxes on their heads, New Zealand’s biggest comedy export were greeted as the pop stars they falteringly pretend to be. With a screen on each side of the duo and their guitars, keyboards and drum kit — an act of kindness at this 3,000-seater; essential by the time they reach Wembley next week — their parodic songs and downbeat interplay prompt shrieking, hollering and, finally, a standing ovation.

Two seasons of their New York sitcom have made stars of Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie. But if their heads have been turned since their last British appearance five years ago, they do a grand job of still looking as if we can take or leave them as we please. “If you need to go,” the bearded, slight McKenzie says lightly near the end of their two-hour set, “if you’ve got something else on, just shoot off.”

Most of that set is the songs, most of which most of the crowd know. But these are rich enough to bear repetition. Ladies of the World is a priapic soul session — the rangy Clement gives good Barry White — that ends in haunting harmonies from the duo and their cellist Nigel, who helps to keep the music rich and tight. I’m Not Crying is a tender trouncing of 10cc’s I’m not in Love.

They mock machismo throughout, from the rap parody Hurt Feelings (“I feel like a prize asshole/ Nobody compliments my casserole”) to the so-so settled-relationship sex in Business Time.

They take a few songs to settle. The gentle banter encourages hecklers to feel part of the gang and, though they try to hush interruptions, actually their crowd interplay is spontaneous and skilful. They never lose their cool, but they’re never lost for words.

Some of the best moments are in the less familiar songs, which prompt from the crowd either a) greater focus, or b) a trip to the lavatory. The long song about a couple reunited on a park bench is a masterpiece of upended expectations, propulsively performed. Their medieval wooing song manages nimbly to rhyme “ID” and “1353”. Only the closing numbers, including their ho-hum Bowie parody, seem to privilege form over content. But they’re preceded by a great flight of fantasy about time-travelling acid trips and amped up by costume changes.

The perfect Conchords show would probably be shorter and smaller. But tough. What’s still glorious, what they’ve held on to so well, is the way that everything is still a joke. Funkiness is a joke. Folkiness is a joke. Sexiness is a joke. Pain is a joke. Pride is a joke.

Meanwhile, their disarming, ingenuous personas refuse to acknowledge any of that. So everything gets done to the best of their ability and nothing gets sneered at. What a highwire act.

Manchester Apollo, tonight and tomorrow; then touring to May 18. http://www.flightoftheconchords.co.nz

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue May 11, 2010 9:09 pm

:purple: :thumb:

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Wed May 12, 2010 5:41 am

l_a6f4d4b245e140a5995d36ba9876abef.jpg

source

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 am

Demon Woman (Jemaine lighting matches?? :lol: ) :thumb:

ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 13, 2010 3:18 am

Jenny: (Not complete)

ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 13, 2010 3:21 am

Business Time (Not complete, but still worth it for the lovemaking comments. :) Close ups on the big screen are nice and clear, too.)

ImageImage

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Mon May 24, 2010 5:13 am

Unfortunately I don't know who to credit for this photo. I wish I did because it's magnificent. :heart:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 24, 2010 5:53 am

Right click, save, :thud:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!