Manchester - May 11 - Tour stop #7

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Manchester - May 11 - Tour stop #7

Postby Sherry » Sun May 09, 2010 9:33 am

Please post about the second Manchester gig in this thread. Only 'post gig' related conversation here please :)

Please ensure you have read the Gig section rules (and if you've not done so already, the general forum rules) before posting.

Save your real lusting/swooning for the Brettylicious Flytour & Jemaliscious Business hours are definately not over threads and keep these actual gig threads more discussion based and less lustful (if that is even remotely possible :roll: :lol: ).

WTF! CHAT ROOM - Click here to enter - Feel free to join us for a chat, a bit of a laugh and a catch up before, during & after the gig. :)

To kick start it, here is the tour poster from the May 11 Manchester gig. By The Silent Giants

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Re: May 11 - Manchester - Tour stop #7

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue May 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Bump ah bump.

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Tue May 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Kipples just asked me to post that Bret just sang the karaoke song from the Simon and Garfunkel episode. She says it was brilliant! :thumb:
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 pm

trefusis wrote:Kipples just asked me to post that Bret just sang the karaoke song from the Simon and Garfunkel episode. She says it was brilliant! :thumb:

:heart:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 pm

He did Korean Karaoke??! :love:

Oh, I can't wait to see the video of that! Did they have the translation up on the screens or did he sing it in English? ;) :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm

LOL - I wonder?! They could have had the background video up with the carousel and everything... or maybe he did it au naturel. Looking forward to hearing the details of that one :lol: .

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Tue May 11, 2010 10:19 pm

I started off posting kipples' message on the general thread by mistake, so have copied this post from Laura so that we can enjoy it here as well... :lol:

LauraK wrote:"Oh happy dance, yeah!" :D

Just for purposes of comparison...and because it's awesome...

:rolls:

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue May 11, 2010 10:24 pm

Good call Trefusis. We'll keep the other thread open for May 12th pre-gig blather.

Lucky Kipples! I was just wondering today if they'd somehow do this song. :bounce:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 pm

This is what I truly love about their shows - you really never know what they'll come up with from their vast arsenal of songs to play, but it's always well-done and fun!! :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue May 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Still hoping to get this poster tomorrow when it goes online :pray:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 am

That's awesome that they played the Korean Karaoke song. I'd love to hear that too. Judging by a tweet I just read, there seems to have been a M&G. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed May 12, 2010 12:57 am

Yessss!! M&G win!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed May 12, 2010 1:10 am

This makes me :D
90% evil
ImageImage

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Wed May 12, 2010 1:31 am

Yes there was a M&G!!

Guys, I'm in mother flipping heaven!!!

Rachel and myself got down for about 4pm. There was already a guy waithing there that didn't look like a roadie and seemed to be getting kinda aggitated as time went on. We were just chilling out on the grass when we heard a soundcheck. The guy had gone over to the door so we followed him. We got talking and he said he had been there since 2pm!

At about 5:15 there were about 15 people milling around when suddenly the guy said "here we go" and bounded down towards the stage door. A van with the guys in had come round the corner.
They stopped for autographs and pics. I had my Video Kid sleeve and Bret commented that it was really rare. English failed me again but I think I got out that I loved the album and was surprised to hear he thought it was rare!
I took a picture of Rachel and Bret on my camera and didn't want to push for a pic muyself as I had already gotten the sig. But he turned back to me and asked did I get one!! How sweet is that man. I asked him to do the Crazy Horses Gang sign!!! :D :D
I then got a picture of Rachel and Jemaine who was hanging back a bit. Since I already got one with him last week I wasn't going to bother him for another one, but I did say that I was the one with the t-shirt last week in Dublin and he laughed and said "Oh yis I remember"!

I'll let ye in on a bit of a secret, for want of a better word; after the 6th of May show I told the girls that I was going to give my ticket away to someone outside tonights gig. Basically trying to build up my karma points and also I thought I wouldn't enjoy tonights gig as much as it was a much bigger venue and I was right up the back, but holy cow was I wrong!!!
In a nutshell it was the best of the three I've been to!

Highlights were:
Bret singing "who likes to rock the party" during too many dicks
Jemaine trying to cover up forgetting the lyrics during woo by saying "..nothing"(happened twice)
Bret saying "I was shopping for a websuit" which resulted in something hillarious I can't quite recall
The guys telling the crowd that they have a new Primeminister
The guys trying to do Mancuniun accents :D ......
Loads more but I'm fighting for time here

I'll quickly tell you that I got the answer from Bret to "What is the DJZ girlfriend?" He couldn't remember for ages and he was running backwards to the van trying to recall what it was. I tried to help him out but he said he just couldn't remember. I said that's ok but thanks anyway. I was walking away when suddenly I heard "OUTERZONE"!!!!!!
To end this I'm going to just go AAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Wed May 12, 2010 1:32 am

Me and Kipples are sat next to each other both writing about the show so apologies for double mentions.

We met the guys before the show as they were going into venue and there was a small gathering (we were there first but everyone got to them before us 8) ) I got a picture with them and Jemaine commented on my jumper which pleased me :wink:

I was lucky to be in the 3rd row centre so a bloody lovely view. I had been waiting to see them since I got in to the show and I can't fault it at all. It's really hard writing about a show it's all coming to my mind at once and I'm not sure where to start. Basically I have a really bad memory =P I can't remember the setlist so that proves my bad memory point. But some of my fave songs they played where: Freaky, Albi (done in a great Mancunian accent), The Korean song when it started my face was a perfect picture. It started with Jemaine saying he was off for a nap and he hid behind the curtain. It was played along with a video which had the English on it and Bret tried to get us to sing along which was a bit of a struggle but a couple of people around me attempted to join in. Once it had finished and Jemaine returned from his nap, they said they hadn't played it before (which I believe) and Bret wasn't sure how it went as no one joined in so he doesn't think they'll do it again. Woo was also very good with Jemaine forgetting the lyrics a couple of times and when he did he just went "ah nothing" and tried to pick it up again. Nigel hit his cello with the recorder and Jemaine stopped, turned to him and starred :D
The bus driver song was their first one for the encore and they had tried to get changed quickly which Jemaine had failed at as he hadn't put his shirt on properly. One arm was through the sleeve and the other had missed the sleeve and was through the neck opening instead, so it got gradually lower and lower until his whole chest on one side was showing. He realised this after the song had finished asnd he tried to pin it back. There's something about men half dressed :wink:
They played 4 songs for the encore and finished with sugalumps, when Bret jumped into the audience there was a guy who was on crotches so Bret stole them and started pointing to his own crotch singing "his crotch is on my crotch". There was also a lady in a wheelchair down the front and Bret wheeled her towards her and her husband tried to wheel her back.

Those a few highlights for me, my internet is about to time out so better run.

We met them again after and I got my tea towel signed. Bret wrote me a mini message which said "Rachel enjoy drying Bret" and he drew the guitar, which I thought was amazing as he was just signing his name for everyone else so another :D
Last edited by rachel on Wed May 12, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
@_raychul

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”