Glasgow - May 15 - Tour stop #10

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Re: May 15 - Glasgow - Tour stop #10

Postby rachel » Sun May 16, 2010 12:26 am

I'm intrigued to know how many appear for the M&G after arena shows, there was quite a gathering after the apollo.
@_raychul

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 16, 2010 12:26 am

These peeps know how to speak of their Conchord love, lol! :lol:

briancheney- just back from flight of the conchords. was absolutely blooming hilarious :L
36 minutes ago via web

stevenmacdonald- Flight of the conchords = disabled jaw from laughing too much
35 minutes ago via web

Arleeen- Had just the most utterly fab time at Flight of the Conchords gig last night!!! Laughed till I cried!! Ace ace ace ace!!!!!!!
32 minutes ago via web
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Ara
New arrival

Postby Ara » Sun May 16, 2010 12:31 am

There was a M&G afterwards and it was amazing! I met both of them, and got a piece of shortbread from Bret, and my dad gave an epileptic dog cheque to Jemaine and made him laugh! Signatures and photos! In the rain! :D

It was an incredible show, absolutely faultless, it was even better than I could have imagined, I cannot stop grinning! I'm going to write up a very long/dorky post about it all, but I just had to blurt this out somewhere quickly!
{icon by fainiel_sims @ LJ}

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 16, 2010 12:35 am

Awww more treat sharing from Bret!! :hug:

I hope they don't get sick from being out in the rain, but glad that you met them, Ara! :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 16, 2010 12:37 am

Yay Ara!!! :supz: :clap: :hug:

We want every long and dorky bit you can remember!! I'm so pleased that you got to meet tham and......oh, Bret is feeding fans again, eh?! :heart: Give your dad a big pat on the back for the Epileptic Dogs check...and making Jemaine laugh! :lol:

I can't wait for your pics and more info! Congrats, girl! :D
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun May 16, 2010 12:40 am

Aww, the whole show and M&G experience must have been a wonderful experience for you, Ara! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to read more about your experience! :D

Rachel, I was shocked after the Birmingham gig which had over 10,000 people in the audience yet less than 20 people stayed behind for the M&G. :lol: I do think people are more likely to hang around for a meet and greet in London though so I'd assume that the crowd may be quite big.

Aww, James' tweets are so sweet! I'm glad he met his comedy idols! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun May 16, 2010 12:45 am

Yay Ara! Can't wait to hear all about it! Woohoo for m&gs!! :yay:

Ara
New arrival

Postby Ara » Sun May 16, 2010 3:18 am

BIG ramble ahead, and spoilers!

It was an amazing show, absolutely hilarious and brilliant, but what struck me more than anything was how amazingly talented they are musically - they sounded even better than I thought they would live; the singing, the instruments, it was perfect. I also very much enjoyed Eugene’s standup, as I didn’t know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised that I wasn’t thinking ‘Yeah, yeah, Conchords now, please’.

The 3 new songs were fantastic, I was so thrilled to hear them! I’d been thinking it during every single song, but especially with ‘Wooing’ I was half laughing (because it’s hilarious! Especially the rose part) and half thinking how beautiful it was musically! (I loved the recorder playing! And the celo). It’s my favourite thing about FOTC, the songs are brilliant pieces of comedy, but they’re also damn good songs. And again, all night the singing from both of them was perfection. I also loved the mostly Bret-sung one about a relationship ending, especially the part about how “anything we’d say was interesting...”, Bret: “Do you prefer cheese and tomato or just cheese?”/”Just tomato”/”Oh, wow!”. Bret’s delivery killed me throughout :D

The banter was also top-notch hilarious, I loved the muffin/lift/Bowie chicken-egg situation stories + Bret’s awesome whale impression. When Bret was telling the lift story, he asked the audience if they’d had experience in lifts before, and no one answered, cue confused look: “Does Glasgow not have lifts?” and Jemaine explaining what lifts are like: “Basically... if you go in a cupboard at home, that’s what it’s like, and then just imagine when you get out... you’re somewhere else.”

There was a great fun sing-along chorus bit to ‘Epileptic Dogs’, where they organised the 3 tiers of the theatre to sing different variations of the chorus, afterwards Bret told Nigel that his tier (the very top one, who you couldn’t hear much from) had been quite disappointing, and deadpanned: “Sorry, I know you’re all very far back and there’s less of you... but that was weak.” Heh!

At one point, someone in the audience shouted “FREEDOM!” and Jemaine said something like: “What? That sounded like (mimicking Scottish accent) “Freedom!”.... I think you are pretty free, here. Actually, I was going to just say that’s what you said, but now I think that’s actually what you said...” and they said something about how Scotland is free but then Bret mentioned the Tory government getting in, even though the majority of Scotland voted Labour, and everyone booed, hehe!

There wasn’t too much heckling, and when there was, the guys handled it so well; there was one “Where’s Mel!” - “She’s fictional... so she’s hanging out with Bart Simpson and... Taggart” - to which everyone cheered, then: Jemaine: “We appear to be real but these are stage personas, we’re not--” Bret: “Oh god no, we’re not this exciting in real life.” :bounce:

Later, a guy shouted out that he wanted Jemaine’s babies, Bret: “Well... that’s sort of possible now.” Jemaine: “I could send them to you?”, and in the lead-in to ‘Think About It’, they thought someone shouted ‘MILK!’ as an issue, B: “Yep... that’s one of the issues, if there’s a milk drought, just get some more milk.”, J: “Actually, I don’t think they said milk, they just said something in one of those Scottish accents...”

- Also during that lead-in, they went off on a tangent talking about monkeys, Jemaine: “It can’t be that hard to just resist them..” Bret: “Or use protection... Ugh, that’s a bit full on, actually...” J: “Maybe a banana peel...?” (audience groans) “Well you brought it up...” B: “That’s not normally part of the show, that won’t be in again!”. Then they thought someone shouted out Robbie Williams - J: “Well, he’s got a lot of issues too.” B: “If you’re going to heckle you need to do it very clearly!” J: “And preferably in a New Zealand accent.”

- When a sound guy was sorting something, someone shouted “Who’s that!” - Bret: “This is Matt” - Jemaine: “He does odd jobs.” - Guy in audience (to Matt): “Take your top off!” - Jemaine: “... When we say ‘odd jobs’, we mean... not ‘strange tasks’, just odd jobs.” :D

- A gruff-sounding guy shouted out to Bret: “Bret, your beard looks good!” which led onto Jemaine doing a very funny impression of the two types of Scottish accents he’d come across: “There’s one that’s like (soft/lilting accent) ‘Ohh, would you like a tattie?’ And then one that’s like (menacing Scottish accent) ‘I’ll f*ckin’ slice you up like bread, pal!’. No matter how nice what you say is... it still sounds like you’re threatening to kill us. ‘Your beard looks good Bret - and I’ll cut that f*ckin’ thing right off!’”, which the audience loved.

Random other favourite bits:
- After the Tupac bit in ‘Hurt Feelings’, Jemaine: “And we’re going to tell you all about it.... once we get back to the first chord.... it's coming...”
- The elaborations/differences to the songs, like in ‘Hurt Feelings’ Jemaine going: “I’ve been simmering that motherf*cker for an 1hr 45!" and ‘Jenny’ - I think it may be my favourite version of that song!
- When they sat down after ‘Bowie’ and got their kilts on, after struggling to decide which way around they went, Bret tried to roll up the sparkly jumpsuit so that he’d have bare legs, and then said that actually this cut off the circulation. J: “So what do men wear under their kilts?” B: “Sparkly suits.”
- There was also a bit where one of the instruments onstage sounded a bit like a bagpipe, I think, and Bret was asking the audience, “Do you all have travel bagpipes? ... No?” :D
- And when they said it was their last song, all of the audience went “Awwwwwww”, and Jemaine went “Oh, well, we don’t have to do another one if you don’t want it.”

M&G: I’ve never tried to meet anyone after a show before, but the ticket woman pointed us to where the backstage door was. There were about.... a couple dozen people there, in the end, I think. We were all waiting in the rain, not knowing if they were coming out or not, we were told maybe in an hour and a half, I was too busy panicking that I’d spent so much battery life on my camera secretly trying to film and photo parts of the show, that it had none left! Anyway, eventually we were waved over to form a queue, and I heard someone behind me go “Oh my god, Jemaine’s right there!”, and they came out!

While we were waiting in line, my dad wrote a £1 cheque in his cheque-book for the Epileptic Dogs cause - we met Jemaine first, and he was *lovely*; I garbled out about my camera being really really low on battery and must’ve sounded a bit weird going “Hurry, hurry!” and sounding a bit frantic! We took a hurried photo, and then I asked him to sign my tea towel, and as he was doing that I said thank you, and that the show had been wonderful, and he was very kind and gracious, and my dad gave him the cheque and Jemaine was like “Oh is this for us?” and I said “Yes, you’re to keep it!” and he thought it was very funny, and laughed and said “This is the only pound we’ve gotten so far!” Hee! :lol:

Then it was Bret! I was lurking behind some other people getting photos and things, but inbetween people coming up to him, Bret was offering shortbread from a packet, including me, twice actually xD, so I now have a bit of shortbread from Bret sitting next to me :D Anyway, I finally made eye contact and said hello, and then garbled out the thing about the camera’s battery, and he jumped right into action and we bundled together, and I put my hand on his back without thinking, and... then that was all I could really think about while the photo was being taken, heh! - my dad tried to take a picture, and we weren’t sure if it had worked, Bret was very sweet and said that he wasn’t sure the flash had gone off, so we took another one, and then I asked him to sign the tea towel (he did one of those cute little guitar drawings, yay!) and said about the show being wonderful and thank you, and he looked at me and was lovely about it, and said that it was nice to meet us.... and that was it, the perfect end to a magnificent show!

I’m going to eat that shortbread now! :D Sorry about the length of this review! :oops:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 16, 2010 3:29 am

Awww Ara that's so awesome! I just LOVE m&g stories :biggrin:

And, just for the record, I would totally not eat the shortbread for as long as I could cause I'm totally weird an sentimental like that, but I'm SURE Bret would want you to eat it before it gets all moldy :lol:

Ara
New arrival

Postby Ara » Sun May 16, 2010 3:36 am

Hehe! I know, I'm looking at it and I'm torn.... I've already, I admit, taken a photo of myself holding it, like a bit of an idiot, so there's photographic evidence of it... and I should really eat it while it's still vaguely fresh :D

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 16, 2010 3:39 am

I agree - you should either eat it, or freeze it and bring it out on anniversary occasions of this night to reminisce. :worry:

I mean...eat it :lol:

Ara
New arrival

Postby Ara » Sun May 16, 2010 3:42 am

LOL, oh god, on the car journey back, while I was thinking I'd eat it with a cuppa when I got home, a part of my brain was genuinely like: "Or... freeze it!"

But I think that would be a bit strange. Possibly. :lol:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 16, 2010 3:43 am

Ara wrote:Later, a guy shouted out that he wanted Jemaine’s babies, Bret: “Well... that’s sort of possible now.” Jemaine: “I could send them to you?”,

"babies" :o

Ara wrote: A gruff-sounding guy shouted out to Bret: “Bret, your beard looks good!” which led onto Jemaine doing a very funny impression of the two types of Scottish accents he’d come across: “There’s one that’s like (soft/lilting accent) ‘Ohh, would you like a tattie?’ And then one that’s like (menacing Scottish accent) ‘I’ll f*ckin’ slice you up like bread, pal!’. No matter how nice what you say is... it still sounds like you’re threatening to kill us. ‘Your beard looks good Bret - and I’ll cut that f*ckin’ thing right off!’”, which the audience loved.

*I soooo hope there's audio of this!!

Ara wrote:When they sat down after ‘Bowie’ and got their kilts on,
:thud:
You're killing me, girl! Your show sounds A-MA-ZING and I'm not even done reading about it yet!! :supz: I'm typing my stuff as I read, lol.

Your m&g- and the telling of it- was lovely. :hug: I would like to hug you! That was one of the most enjoyable accounts I've read! Do not apologize and please come back and tell more when you remember more. (And I bet you will!)

Can't wait for your pics!

Didn't you get more than 1 shortbread? Eat one and save one? Or if you already ate 1 in front of Bret, as long as you got a pic with the biscuit (hehe) go ahead and eat it. :heart:

(But freezing it is not strange...) :D
ImageImage

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Sun May 16, 2010 3:49 am

Ara, that was amazing! Thank you for all of those lovely details. It sounds like you had the time of your life. :love:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 16, 2010 3:49 am

I imagine you saying that, Laura, in Jemaine's "It is NOT degrading" tone :rolls:

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”