London Wembley Arena - May 18 - Tour stop #12a

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: May 18 - London Wembley Arena - Tour stop #12a

Postby Venus » Thu May 20, 2010 12:33 am

Ooh excellent, I'll have to watch those videos. Thanks Talexe! Haha nice gif, rachel! :D

This cracked me up big time! Gotta love their range of accents :lol::

More videos can be found on their YouTube channel.

Elle:
Flight of the Conchords charm Wembley
posted 19.05.2010

By Laura Davies

http://www.twitter.com/lauradavies

My jaw still hurts. I laughed so hard last night tears were streaming down my creased face. It was Flight of the
Conchords’ fault.

Performing live at Wembley Arena, ‘New Zealand’s fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo,’ caused the jaw ache with their hilarious show. Awkward chats in between songs such as The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room) and Pet Shop Boys satire Inner City Pressure, taken from their hit TV show and 2008 record, confirmed their cult status.

In the TV series (airing last year on BBC4) the duo – Jermaine Clement and Bret McKenzie (playing fictionalised versions of themselves) – move to New York to try their luck at being rock stars. They aren’t successful. But find themselves in impossible situations along the way, such as playing gigs in lifts and aquariums to their only fan (and stalker), Mel.

There were no shortage of fans here though, it was a sell-out, with innocent-looking Bret, with his wild hair and even wilder beard, charming the audience with his performances of Busdriver Song, Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor and Robots (’The humans are dead, we used poisonous gases, and we poisoned their asses’).

While dry, self-depricating, 1970s throwback Jermaine was on equally top form, seducing us with Business Time, crooning,
‘In the bathroom brushing our teeth, that’s all part of the foreplay, I love foreplay, then you go sort out the recycling, that isn’t part of the foreplay… but it’s still very important.’

Highlights of the evening were the rap rip-off Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenocerous, I’m not Crying (’It’s just been raining on
my face’) and Same Girl - which had the ecstatic crowd singing ‘epileptic dogs’ in a mass sing off. I bet that’s the first time
that’s ever been sung at Wembley.

Just when I didn’t think I could laugh anymore, the Conchords played their homage to Ziggy Stardust, Bowie in Space. Stepping up from their stools, where they had been perched
for most of the two-hour set, the pair ripped off their clothes to reveal silver catsuits, chanting ‘Receiving transmission from David Bowie’s nipple antennae.’ The Thin White Duke would
be proud.

Hyperactive friend Arj Baker, who plays Dave in the series, made a welcomed appearance (and supported the duo) but unfortunately there was no cameo from band manager Murray (comedian Rhys Darby) or superfan Mel (Kristen Schaal).

Not to worry, though… I was sitting next to a real-life Mel, who’d obviously dragged her very own Doug (Mel’s patient husband in the series) to Wembley to watch her drool over Jermaine and Bret. I can’t blame her. What is it with funny men in retro shirts?!

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu May 20, 2010 12:42 am

Since Jemaine is normally known to be a juice-drinker and before his reputation is tarnished, do we know for a fact that he had "one too many", or was it a staff member joking around?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

JM13
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JM13 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am

Nancy wrote:Since Jemaine is normally known to be a juice-drinker and before his reputation is tarnished, do we know for a fact that he had "one too many", or was it a staff member joking around?

It was one of the security team that mentioned it so it could well be them having a laugh! :)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu May 20, 2010 3:47 pm

I do think he was having a laugh. Alcohol has never touched Jemaine's voluptuous virgin lips. :P
90% evil
ImageImage

Talexe
New arrival

Postby Talexe » Thu May 20, 2010 3:55 pm

I noticed that there were professional cameramen filming the stage and audience. Does anyone know if, when and how DVDs of the tour will be made available? :worry:
- Tom

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu May 20, 2010 4:43 pm

Talexe, Bret told some fans a bit earlier in the tour that there were no plans for a live DVD in the works. The cameramen you noticed were probably for the big screens...

JM13
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JM13 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:47 pm

My boyfriend and Bret...how sweet?

Also i should have been more prepared with a poster or something but a A4 piece of paper was all i had! :)

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Thu May 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Hey JM13, there is nothing wrong with that! That is perfect for framing!

I have a few great autographs matted and framed; written soley on blank white paper and various sharpie colors. People comment on them when they come over all the time.

also: There is a resturaunt in LA that has stacks of paper on front counter, and the celebs that come in sign (Autographs and/or lil notes) on them. They have thousands in frames on the walls , looks so cool. That is their decor.
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

JM13
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JM13 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks ItsAllRyche.....i feel better now.

I think i need to go frame shopping now :)

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Thu May 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Venus wrote:
This cracked me up big time! Gotta love their range of accents :lol::

I love Jemaine's reaction after he made the G'n'R joke.

Thanks for pointing the videos out.
@_raychul

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu May 20, 2010 6:37 pm

"go and run" :lol:

"ooh it feels like we're all in bed together" :shock:

:clap:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Aw JM13....your boyfriend looks like he wants to give Bret a bigger hug! I love it when the guys look just as excited as us! :D :thumb:
And Bret's message to you is terrific- def needs a frame!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

JM13
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JM13 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:28 pm

LauraK wrote:Aw JM13....your boyfriend looks like he wants to give Bret a bigger hug! I love it when the guys look just as excited as us! :D :thumb:
And Bret's message to you is terrific- def needs a frame!

Yeah he was so excited that we met him....bless his cotton socks!
I will cherish that message forever. I just hope that i'm lucky anough to meet Jemaine next :)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 20, 2010 8:29 pm

I hope so too! :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: London Wembley Arena - May 18 - Tour stop #12a

Postby Venus » Fri May 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Ooh, great autograph, JM13. And that's a cool pic of Bret and your boyfriend! :D

Londonist:

Music Review: Flight Of The Conchords @ Wembley Arena

If you think about it (think think about it), two unassuming Kiwis whose main UK exposure has been on BBC4 ('not that many people need a place to think, actually') should not be able to fill Wembley Arena. And yet, in these strange days, the place is not only packed to bursting but screaming with delight and shaking with laughter. Bret and Jemaine have officially stepped over the line marked 'phenomenon'.

They stay in their nerd-personas throughout the whole gig - though there's a lovely moment near the end where Bret's mask slips as he tries to remember the chords to a request for Mermaids; "how the f*** does that one go again?" - which means we're treated to some solid gold Conchords chat about complementary muffins and getting stuck in a lift. They've also resisted what must have been a considerable temptation to go for a massive set, sticking with the tried and tested formula of a couple of stools. They're letting their talent do the talking.

And what talent. These guys are not only masters of deadpan comedy and the musical parody, but what really stands out is the quality of the songwriting. It's something that perhaps gets overlooked in the TV series, but there are bloody great tunes supporting the whipsmart lines and, since it's only them on stage supported by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra (Nigel), it's also obvious they're excellent musicians. We should probably hate them, but they're just too nice.

Highlights? Jemaine's Arnold Schwarzenegger impression during Robots, a storming Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor featuring an appearance by Arj Barker (who also provided a great stand-up support set), new (?) song Woo a Lady, spangly 70s leotards for Bowie with some very careful instrument smashing and laughing so much our cheeks hurt. It's also noticeable what they didn't get round to playing: a set that lasted over two hours and couldn't manage to squeeze in Ladies of the World, Boom, Prince of Parties, Carol Brown? That's flippin' quality. (Image / Caroline Dickie)

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”