Copenhagen, Denmark - May 23 - Tour stop #16

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Copenhagen, Denmark - May 23 - Tour stop #16

Postby LauraK » Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 am

Ohhh, it's a shame he stopped recording the lumps! :lol: That was great...I loved Arj doing his slow-jammed bit. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

hetoft
New arrival

Postby hetoft » Tue May 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Hey guys (or should I say girls..? seems it's mostly ladies in here? :) )

I was at the Copenhagen concert too (I'm Danish). I went there with three of my friends and we all thought she show was great and very amusing.

I had planned to write a small review, but as Amanda has already done that (nice review btw, holy cow you're lucky to get to meet them in person and stuff - dedication right there!), it's a bit pointless. So instead, I'll just recite some of the funnier parts that I remember of the show. :) Oh, and also, show you some of my pictures that I took.

Arj Barker did a really good job with warming up for B&J. You could easily tell that he had done his research about Denmark and that it wasn't "just another show".

One of the things he talked about was how he went to see the Little Mermaid (in Copenhagen). It went something like:
"So, I went out to see the Little Mermaid and... what the hell?! you guys deported your most famous landmark to Japan?! what's up with that? [...] I also think that it's a little outdated. Like, "The Little Mermaid" is quite old. You should update it and make a statue of Shrek instead."

That one really made the audience laugh. :D He also talked about Christiania, tried to speak some Danish etc. Solid performance which really got us pumped up for FotC. Then came a break where I went to get my FotC DVD signed and I bought the poster as well. Got another beer and back into the theater.

Aaaand, on came Bret and Jemaine!

The setlist has already been posted, too, so there's no point in me explaining what songs they did etc. But the guys seemed happy and excited about perfoming for us. Some of the jokes they told were hilarious. "Bret, tell them about the time on out tour that we got stuck in an elevator" ... turns out they just forgot to press the button. :D Also the one about Bret accidentally eating Jemaine's hayfever pills and going to bed early. And the time when they found blueberry muffins next to their bed and got all excited. :P Typical Flight of the Conchords type of humour! Just great :D

At one point, they asked the crowd what we say when we go and get Danish pastries at the bakery:
"Do you just say 'pastries'? and when you go to another country, do you say 'Hi, can you give me some of MY pastries?' Then moments later, someone in the audience shouted WIE-NER-BRØD! (Danish for pastries), to which they replied, "No, that's not us, you must be thinking of another band." They then realized what it meant and Jemaine said, "Well if you say that [wienerbrød] in New Zealand, you wouldn't get any." :lol:

Bret doing "Korean Karaoke". Funny as hell!

In a break between two songs, Bret and Jemaine talked about how they could see some people sneaking in and out at the back of the theatre. Then, a guy from back there shouted, in a Kiwi accent, We love you, you guys rock. Bret said thanks and asked if he was from New Zealand. I think he replied "Yes", cus Jemaine then said, Soo, because you're from New Zealand you think you're a part of our our show?" The crowd burst in laughter. :D Really great way to get back at someone interrupting their show!

Before they played "Think About It", they spoke about how we should take care of the Earth and be responsible for our actions and stuff. They said that we should save the whales, and apparently at that point the night before, at the Norway concert, the crowd had boohed them for that. They didn't know that Norwegians eat whales, and Jemaine then said something in the lines of "Well, that's another reason to save the whales - save them from Norwegians!" and then they improvised for a couple of minutes... said that we should save the whales from drowning and some other things. Quite funny.

And here's Amanda. Lucky girl! :wink:

All in all, me and my friends agreed that it was one of the best concerts / comedy acts we had ever seen. They played for long, 2 hours and 5 minutes, which was more than any of us had expected. They also complimented the audience, with Bret saying that "you guys are defintely better than Norway". The audience was very vibrant and laughed and clapped at EVERYTHING. It was cool, but at times all the clapping and laughing drowned out the jokes. But still, 6 out of 6 stars from me and my friends. I'm sure that if they ever visit Denmark again, I'll go and see them once more.

Check out the rest of my pictures if you like (there is a Slideshow feature in Flickr, works brilliantly). The pictures aren't perfect, I know, but that was due to the distance from where we sat to the stage. I had to zoom all the way in to get half-decent pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hetoft/sets/72157624133273440/

I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed the concert. :D Sorry if there's some grammatical errors here and there, English is not my main language, so that's why.

// hetoft
.:: ROBO BOOGIE! ::.

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue May 25, 2010 3:11 pm

hetoft! Thank you so much for sharing your photos, thoughts and bits of the banter! :lol: I enjoyed your slideshow a lot.

"Save the whales...from Norwegians." :roll2:
Image..Image..Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi there, hetoft! First of all, welcome to the forum! Feel free to introduce yourself here. :)

Thank you so much for your recap and pics. It looks like you all had a blast and the crowd must have been very enthusiastic! :D

LOL at the whale banter. :roll2:

By the way, your English is brilliant. :thumb:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Amanda, that's very cool to have a photo of you with both guys (and Nigel in the background).

The Demon Woman vid is insane. What got into Jemaine? I've never seen him so wild. :supz:

90% evil
ImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue May 25, 2010 4:34 pm

Ha! I can't believe they dissed us like that! :hrmpf: (I'm Norwegian you see...unless Bret or Jemaine asks...then I'm Danish :eyelashes: )

It is true that we booed them in Bergen though :lol: It was freaking hilarious. I've seldom seen them lost for words before. Jem said "we have to save the poor whales! Audience (me included): Hiss boooooooooooo! :twisted: They looked completely baffled by the response and after exchanging a few nervous looks Jem said "uhm... we have to save them so you can eat them!" :roll2: Too funny!
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 25, 2010 4:36 pm

I know! That tongue action about did me in! :snakeman:

hetoft- :welcome: Great recap and pics! I enjoyed your slideshow- thanks for sharing. And thanks for great pic of Amanda with the guys. 8)
(I agree~ your English is excellent!)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

hetoft
New arrival

Postby hetoft » Tue May 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Thank you everyone :) I appreciate it. I might "introduce myself" soon, hehe. Pretty sure I'm the only Dane on WTF, at least I haven't read about any others.

@ biscuit: Hahaha, now I see why. :D Thanks for explaining.
.:: ROBO BOOGIE! ::.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 25, 2010 6:24 pm

Hey, hetoft! :wave:

How wonderful that you captured such a great moment with Amanda and the guys! I look forward to seeing you round these parts.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Tue May 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Hetoft!!! :prayer: THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! i couldn't imagine having a better souvenir from that night *cough* :eyelashes: *cough* But there you go and post a picture of my moment with the guys during the show!!!
:whitey:
And thank you for writing about their hilarious banter..it's all coming to me now..but when i was typing those lines my mind was somewhere else :wink:

:iloveyou:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue May 25, 2010 6:57 pm

What the heck is going on there, Amanda? :rolls:

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue May 25, 2010 7:44 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:What the heck is going on there, Amanda? :rolls:

She's helping Bret figure out her camera so he can take a pic of his sugalumps, lol. What else? ;) She said she had it set to video and he couldn't get it to work so she reset it for him. I think she got some choice video footage of Bret's crotch (courtesy of Bret) before they worked it out, lol. Jemaine cracks me up in this pic, he's singing but he looks like he's also trying to figure out the camera. :lol:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue May 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Bwahahaha! I knew she reset it, but I didn't know she got so INVOLVED. She looks like she's giving a full on tutorial right there :roll2:

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue May 25, 2010 7:50 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Bwahahaha! I knew she reset it, but I didn't know she got so INVOLVED. She looks like she's giving a full on tutorial right there :roll2:

:bounce: I know it! And Jemaine's like, "I didn't know your camera had so many options... where did you get it?" :lol: They look like they're about to ditch Sugalumps altogether and sit down on the edge of the stage and compare camera features, lol.

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue May 25, 2010 7:53 pm

mockingbird wrote:Jemaine cracks me up in this pic, he's singing but he looks like he's also trying to figure out the camera. :lol:

:purple:

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”