London Wembley Arena - May 25 - Tour stop #18

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: London Wembley Arena - May 25 - Tour stop #18

Postby Venus » Thu May 27, 2010 2:14 am

rachel wrote:
LauraK wrote:Then when Bret jumped back up onstage- what happened? Did he try to stand and fell over? It's out of camera range but I love how it cracked him up and he threw his head back and laughed so big! :heart: "It's a little bit higher than I thought it was..." :rolls: "Can I get a massage for after the show, please...?"

Thanks so much for that video, Rachel and your recap! :thumb: I could tell how distracted you became when he took off the tear-away pants...you couldn't wait to zoom, lol!

I missed Bret attempt at jumping on stage but I think he hit his leg on it and hurt himself. Or when he jumped he pulled his muscle, either way his reaction was pretty damn funny.

Many people seemed to have missed what actually happened to Bret but yeah, I think he just pulled a muscle whilst trying to get up on stage cos it was higher than he thought (reminds me of them underestimating the stage's height in Birmingham as well. They've gotta be careful during Arena shows ;)). Agreed, his reaction was hilarious! :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

minilea
Lost but happy at sea

Postby minilea » Thu May 27, 2010 2:18 am

Those vids are making me nostalgic....and we only saw them yesterday...give or take a few hours! :rolleyes: Great find Venus! I hope a vid surfaces of Albi because that was brilliant! :yay:

The sugarlump pictures are soooo funny! There must be an array of pictures of their sugarlumps now. They are the only ones I've seen online so far from a gig.

I remember Bret getting back on the stage. He mis-judged how high it was and strained himself getting back up. The faces he was pulling as he lay down to recover were priceless, and in turn, thats when he requested a massage afterwards! :lol:

Just remembered someone requesting If You're Into It and Jemaine's response was, "We're not into it!" :P At least we got Prince of Parties. First time I'd heard that at a gig. I'd also got a taster of On The Road at Manchester 12th gig but they were still ironing out the kinks and didn't quite remember it all because they'd wrote it that day. Superb to hear the final version in its entirety. :D :clap:
"Ain't no party like my nana's tea parrrtyyy!"

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu May 27, 2010 2:41 am

It looks like Jemaine's snake hips module was temporarily disabled.
90% evil
ImageImage

JM13
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JM13 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 am

Here are a few pictures from Tuesday, they are not as good as Venus's pictures but here goes :D

JM13
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JM13 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:02 am

A couple more :)

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Thu May 27, 2010 11:01 am

So many vids and pictures to get through :D Love your first Demon Women picture JM13 (I feel bad, I never caught your name?)

Just remembered they mentioned Norway again during the Whales discussion, it clearly surprised them.
@_raychul

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu May 27, 2010 11:45 am

Haha:) I was just telling my daughter about the booing. :lol: They were clearly a bit surprised by that.

Just goes to show NZ is really, really far away, seeing as most of the world are well aware of our ..uhm..habit.. and generally hate us for eating whale :worry:

Well, at least I would never go to NZ and tell them off for eating the poor sheep :P
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu May 27, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm not as far away as NZ & had no idea about your whale habit. You eat whale?
90% evil
ImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu May 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Uhm..yeah. They're tasty :tonqe:

Ok, so I've only had whale twice in my life but it was pretty tasty. Venison like.

I really believed everyone knew :hrm: The reason whales are endangered, apart from global warming and pollution, is that they have been hunted to near extinction. The commercial hunt for whale is very much frowned upon and I think Norway and Japan are the only nations still engaged in it :roll:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Hm. I thought whale was hunted for the blubber....not for eatin'. So, it's meat-like rather than the flaky flesh of a fish? This still confuses me as whales are, well...huge. One would feed a heckuva lot of people... :dunno:

Love your pics, JM! Especially the ones of them sitting on the stage and of Bret with his hand on his...abdomen. ;)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu May 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Excellent pics, JM13! Thanks for sharing! :D

Yeah they seemed to be taken aback by the whole whale situation in Norway. I found it hilarious when you pointed out after the show that the joke went down like a lead balloon in Bergen, biscuit. :roll2:

A series of clips from the show. At the beginning it shows Arj leading us to try for the world record for the largest indoor arena bird flip (like they did last year at Red Rocks) :lol: :

For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Thu May 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I loved flipping the bird and Arj has promised to post the pic Matt took.

When Flight of the Conchords last appeared live in the UK, they were a cultish if celebrated musical comedy duo playing relatively modest rooms to those in the Edinburgh Fringe know.

A few years later, with two HBO series behind them (admittedly tucked away on BBC Four), a few dates at the Hammersmith Apollo couldn’t meet demand in the capital – only Wembley Arena can hold them now.

Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie aren’t really the type of bombastic rockers or big-production pop stars that normally fill this space though – they’re resolutely and charmingly lo-fi .
There was one costume change - glittery cat-suits were unleashed for Bowie’s In Space and Demon Woman - some nifty lighting for the Daft Punk-esque stomper Too Many Dicks On The Dancefloor and the addition, for a few songs, of cello, drums and piano-playing Nigel (introduced as the travel size version of the New Zealand National Orchestra) but apart from that, it was just the two of them, sitting on stools, singing songs.

But what songs. Without many distractions, even in a barn like Wembley you got to really concentrate on the quality of the lyrics and the brilliance of the musicianship; FotC might be known as a comedy duo, but here they were a proper band. With Bret’s intricate guitar on The Most Beautiful Girl In The Room (a triumph in back-handed compliments), Inner City Pressure’s stunning synths and rhymes like “They call me the Hiphop-apotamus cause I got flows that glow like phosphorous”, these are finely crafted and consistently hilarious songs which, performed live, really get their chance to shine.

All of the tracks which have appeared in the TV show were rapturously received, especially Jemaine’s sublime Barry White slow-jam Business Time (complete with recorder solo) which was a real highlight, and most were dotted with different and extra lines to provide new laughs – the best being the introduction of “You could be a plus-size model” to The Most Beautiful Girl In The Room. But other songs which haven’t had the same exposure clearly won over the newer fans too. Jenny, a favourite from the Conchords’ pre-telly days about an awkward case of mistaken identity brought belly-laughs, and a song set in 1353 got one of the best reactions of the night.

Between the songs, it has to be said that Jemaine gives more of himself than laid-back Bret and as such gets more in return – the bulk of the protestations of love from the audience are aimed his way. But as is the case with all great double-acts, the magic lies in the chemistry and it’s the rapport based on years of obvious friendship that makes the banter (or ‘professional talking’ as they put it) such fun – most memorably a brilliant extended riff on the duo’s attempts to resist going down the slippery slope of rock and roll excess by accepting a free muffin.

When the inevitable calls for "Series three!" came, Jemaine made the good point that another series would mean not being able to come out on the road, and on this evidence that would be a real travesty. This gig was a showcase for the duo’s superlative songwriting skills, and the sooner they can return to the stage – where they are so clearly at home – with new material, the better.

- Anna Lowman

http://www.musicomh.com/theatre/lon_conchords_0510.htm
@_raychul

Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Panda..ness » Thu May 27, 2010 7:36 pm

I hadn't read annas review yet so thanks for putting it up rach xD Aww thats such a good one, you can tell she loves them :)

Why did i get double stuffed?

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Thu May 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah, I've been waiting since she mentioned she was going to write one, knew it'd be good.
@_raychul

JM13
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JM13 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 pm

[quote="rachel"]So many vids and pictures to get through :D Love your first Demon Women picture JM13 (I feel bad, I never caught your name?)

Yeah i love that picture too. Really rocking out! :supz:

Don't feel bad, my name is Jenny :)

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”