Manchester - May 12 - Tour stop #8

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
boomking
New arrival

Re: Manchester - May 12 - Tour stop #8

Postby boomking » Mon May 24, 2010 11:06 pm

fail :bang: :p

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon May 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi there, boomking. :wave: Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself here. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Mon May 24, 2010 11:29 pm

boomking wrote:fail :bang: :p

:lol: :goodman: :welcome:

boomking
New arrival

Postby boomking » Tue May 25, 2010 9:15 pm

cheers for the welcome everyone :)

boomking
New arrival

Postby boomking » Thu May 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Too Many Dicks On The Dancefloor
The Most Beautiful Girl In The Room
Hurt Feelings
Jenny
Think About It
I’m Not Crying
Think About The Epileptic Dogs
Carol Brown
Boom
Back On The Road
Mutha’uckas
Robots
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
Bus Driver’s Song
Bowie
Demon Woman
--------------
Business Time
We’re Both In Love With A Sexy Lady
Sugalumps

Thats as far as I've got in making an ordered setlist, I have a feeling somethings not right with the encore but I cant think what. If anyone notices a mistake please correct me :)

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks boomking!

Not sure which Manchester show this is referring to. I'll just post it in here.

The Observer:
Flight of the Conchords
Manchester Apollo
Stephanie Merritt The Observer, Sunday 16 May 2010

Flight of the Conchords: Jemaine Clement, left, and Bret McKenzie. Photograph: Angela Lubrano/LivePix

Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement used to describe their fumbling, lo-fi double act as "New Zealand's fourth most popular folk-parody duo", and the premise worked; two inept slackers struggling to succeed in music and with girls, and usually failing on both counts. This idea formed the backdrop to their acclaimed HBO sitcom, but now that they are playing to sell-out arenas around the world, can Flight of the Conchords avoid the fact that they are fully fledged music superstars?

The answer seems to be that they're not quite sure. Over the years the Conchords' shtick in their live shows has barely changed, wisely, since the formula is so near perfect: the low-key dialogue, the seamless ad-libbing and, of course, the songs themselves, highly skilled parodies that offer poignant little stories, celebrate failure or veer away into the surreal.

At Manchester Apollo, they open wearing homemade robot heads with flashing lights for their techno number "Too Many Dicks (on the Dancefloor)", which they go on to deconstruct at great length ("It's also a metaphor, if you look deeper into the lyrics").

Between songs, they treat us to variations on their self-styled "classic anecdotes" from life on the road, which endearingly turn out to be the antithesis of rock behaviour – and also the antithesis of anecdotes, ending predictably in total anticlimax. "There was the time we got stuck in the lift," Jemaine begins, taking off his glasses to wipe away tears. "You tell it, Bret, it's better when you tell it." So Bret begins the tale – constantly interrupted, naturally, by Jemaine correcting him. "Turns out it wasn't stuck at all," Bret concludes, deadpan. "We just hadn't pressed the button." "Classic!" Jemaine declares, doubled over with laughter.

Their secret is in the almost telepathic way they anticipate and riff off each other. Responding to an audience question about Murray (their fictional manager in the sitcom), they play around with the notion of their own characters. "We're not real either," Jemaine explains. "My stage persona is loosely based on the real me," Bret says, nodding sagely. "I think, 'What would I do?' And then I do it."

Of course, the pretence of amateurism was always underpinned by consummate musicianship, and the range of styles they ape is breathtaking, from rap to my favourite new song, a madrigal called "To Woo a Lady", which had me crying with laughter.

There are plenty of old favourites too – "Business Time", "Sugar Lumps" and "Bowie's in Space", which sees them changing into glam rock outfits. It's hard to think of a more complete comedy night out. You'll emerge with your face aching and the image of Jemaine's gyrating crotch indelibly etched on your inner eye for days.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:15 pm

You'll emerge with your face aching and the image of Jemaine's gyrating crotch indelibly etched on your inner eye for days.

So true! :waggle:
Image Image

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:32 pm

funny schipperke wrote:
You'll emerge with your face aching and the image of Jemaine's gyrating crotch indelibly etched on your inner eye for days.

So true! :waggle:

:spit: :rolls: :nod:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:45 pm

For days? I think it's etched in there forever..... :twisted:
*Thank you, Jemaine.*
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”