How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Postby Emafer » Tue May 25, 2010 8:22 am

MM do you like the Jergans? I have another friend who likes it and was thinking of getting some.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue May 25, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm not MM but I've been using the Jergens stuff for a few years now. I've tried others but I like Jergens the best. And I prefer the mousse to the lotion as the lotion has a smell to it and I can still feel it on my skin for awhile because it's kind of heavy. The mousse just blends right in. Both of them make my skin super soft too.
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 25, 2010 6:06 pm

I think folks here have recommended Jergens before, but it's good to know about the mousse v lotion facts. Thanks for all your advice, ladies. :D Maybe my legs won't be lilies this year. :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed May 26, 2010 3:59 am

Thanks SW!

And girls, I just have to say, it makes me feel all warm inside to know I'm not the only person on earth that glows in the dark. Everybody makes fun of me including my Goddaughter, but she DID say that I have perfect hair which is like THE highest complement that she would bestow on a person so that makes me feel pretty awesome hahahaha.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Oh, ladies, we got trouble in River City. :roll: Dr Oz had a warning about makeup and beauty products that can be dangerous to your health:

http://dailyhealthweb.blogspot.com/2010 ... eauty.html

What's interesting and something I'll mention to my doctor is that my CAT scan showed some areas of scarring, one of the results mentioned due to using Mineral Powder for makeup. This could be the reason for my SOB. (Shortness Of Breath :) )

And the lip gloss? AARRGGHH! :witsend:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 pm

OK, first, I LOVE that you just threw out a Guys and Doll quote :D Reason # 4,082 why I adore you.

Second, GREAT article Nance! Thanks for the heads up.

I've always been kind of wary of mineral make- up for that reason. I stopped using anything with talcum powder when I was a teenager for that reason. The only thing I ever allow it in it baby powder because I don't use that on my face. I remember that being a big issue with lung scarring. And it kind of occurred to me when mineral make-up became popular that other ground up rocks and minerals would have the same effect.

As for the lip- gloss. I'll never give up Petroleum products. :doomed: I've heard warnings about them for ages, but I can't do it. I've always had very very dry skin and living in Colorado makes it worse. The ONLY kind of lip treatment that works for me is Petroleum based. I've tried allll kinds of stuff, Burts Bees, Dr. Hauchka, Keil's etc. Plain old Vaseline is my bud. And when my hands get super dry, I slathers them in Vaseline and put on cotton gloves. It works WAY better than Bag Balm or Aquaphor etc. When I lived in Memphis or back home in Cali, this was a total non issue. But here in CO, gotta have my Vaseline.

Oh, and this isn't on there. But be careful with Alpha- Hydroxy. It require moisture for it to work properly. So if you live in a very dry climate it can actually burn your skin and cause a lot of problems. I used Kiss My Face Alpha- Hydroxy lotion all the years I lived in CA but when I moved to CO I had to stop.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks to traveling, my skin now feels really dry and my lips are chapped. You guys probably noticed that I was applying lip balm like every 5 seconds. No, I don't have a problem. :lol: It was all the dry air! The one I've been using is Murad Soothing Skin and Lip Care, which has petroleum in it. :| But thanks to that article, I think I'm switching to Burt's Bees.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:38 pm

I used to really love Burt's Bees. If I still lived in a moister climate, that's totally what I would use. Right now I really try to use it more often than Vaseline but I switch back and forth. They have one the is pomegranate and I like that better than the honey pr peppermint/ rosemary.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:08 am

Pssst, Em - It's Music Man! :boogie: But you were close, and the adoration is returned! :heart:

I had never thought about the fact that the minerals in Bare Escentials was really ground up rocks that shouldn't be inhaled. :? I'm going to do more research on it - I'll bet they have a pat answer about this, but it breaks my heart to have to stop using it. :(

The lip balm thing was icky on TV because Dr Oz made us aware that because it's on our lips, we ingest a certain amount every time we wear it, and after 10 years it adds up to 7 POUNDS of PETROLEUM!!! He had a huge jar of petroleum that would put you right off ever using it again. :shock:

I wasn't able to see what he recommended as a substitute for lip gloss - I'm off to do some research...
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:46 am

Nancy wrote:The lip balm thing was icky on TV because Dr Oz made us aware that because it's on our lips, we ingest a certain amount every time we wear it, and after 10 years it adds up to 7 POUNDS of PETROLEUM!!! He had a huge jar of petroleum that would put you right off ever using it again. :shock:
The "inventor" of Vaseline (Robert Chesebrough) reportedly ate a teaspoon of it every day... :eh:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:11 am

Oh my holy crap. I use a light liquid foundation and then....Bare Minerals Mineral Veil.

I have lip gloss/balm all over the house because I must always have something on my lips at all times. If not, I lick and they feel dry and awful. I'm sure 99% of them are petroleum based and I've been using since I was a teenager.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 am

The suggestion is to use a liquid foundation with a shimmer and if you must use a powder, use a pressed powder with the windows open. :?
Laura, I too love my Mineral Veil, but if this is why I'm having breathing problems, then away it all goes. :tears:
I'm definitely going to make sure before I chuck it all. :hammer:

Signature Club A has a foundation that's a Vitamin C Aerated Cream (on HSN), so it's got a great feel when applying it and I like the coverage. I've never been a liquid foundation fan, but I may have to learn. :?

For the lips, Dr Oz recommends a gloss or balm with beeswax instead of petroleum.
I have a lip balm from Australian Scent - a company SW turned me on to. Click face on the left and scroll down to near the bottom for Lips And Nails:

http://www.australianscent.com/index.php?pgid=2

They also have a gloss pot that I haven't tried yet, but it looks good. All I can say is they may come in small containers, but they sure last a long time!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:13 am

Nancy wrote:Pssst, Em - It's Music Man! :boogie: But you were close, and the adoration is returned! :heart:

Oooh, I was off! I'm so disappointed in myself.

As for lipgloss substitute I would find something Vitamin E based. It should give the sane shine as petroleum or mineral oil based. Something Beeswax based will look more matte.

Also, did he mention Corn starch based powder. From what I know there is not problem with loose powder that is cornstarch based. In fact, I'm so pale that I used to use cornstarch straight from the box.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:07 am

If memory serves, he was only talking about mineral powder. The main thing is Bare Minerals tells you to swirl, tap, then apply, so the swirling and especially the tapping would disperse tons of product (minerals) into the air and right into your lungs. This is something I definitely will need to explore further.

Em, I thought of you when I looked at the ingredients of the Australian Scent Lips And Nails Balm. It has beeswax, shea butter and vitamin E oil, among other oils, so it's not totally matte. :D

So tomorrow, I'm calling my doctor and doing more research on all of this.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

katie1030
Giving the paper to the people

Postby katie1030 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:57 am

I'm glad that there are more people speaking out about mineral makeup and how harmful different chemicals in cosmetics can be. I used to use Bare Minerals like crazy when I was younger and now I get really freaked out when I think about all of that nasty stuff I inhaled.

I've always loved makeup, but now I try really hard to use stuff that isn't totally chocked full of chemicals. I find a lot of good info on the Gorgeously Green message boards (http://www.gorgeouslygreen.com/community/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=3dd81ac6911fd2c7e237f330e0890131) about what is and isn't safe and there are usually some pretty good product recommendations on there.

I've ditched all loose powders and have recently switched to MyChelle foundation and concealer (I think it's cheapest on vitacost.com), which are mineral based, but in a cream form. It blends really nicely and so far, it hasn't caused any problems for my break-out prone skin.

I also use this stuff called "All Good Goop" by Elemantal Herbs for when my lips get dry, and I also use it on cuts and scratches. It worked really well when I had a bit of an armpit waxing incident this past Saturday. :rolls:

Oh! One more thing, and then I'll shut up. :lol: I am extremely pale and have been using Nature's Gate Tanagement (also cheapest on vitacost.com) as a self-tanner. It doesn't have a gross smell and it doesn't make me look like an Oompa Loompa!

Return to “Off topic rambles”