How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Postby Emafer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:00 am

Oooh, Nancy, I'll have to look into those. You know I love my E :D:D:D:D

I know that this is silly but I wear Lip Smackers Vanilla Frosting and I have for over 10 years. I love the stuff. It's just kind of sheer and sparkly and you can wear it alone or over any lip color you like and it's very moisturizing. I have no idea what's in it but it's probably highly toxic. :lol: But it's one of my guilty pleasures. That and Jovan Musk (I swear it smells horrible in the bottle but something about my body chemestry makes it smell really good one me persionally) I know, laugh away hahahahaha :oops: . I remember years ago it coming out that ground up fish scales were used to make lipstick shimmery.

UPDATE: This is from the Bonne Bell website. The ingredients for Lip Smackers

Castor oil - A natural oil obtained from the seeds of Ricinus Communis. This ingredient gives emolliency and gloss to the lips.

Beeswax - A natural purified wax obtained from the honeycomb of the bee, Apis Mellifera. This ingredient gives structure and rigidity to Lip Smackers.

Cetyl Acetate - This is an ester of cetyl alcohol and acetic acid. This ingredient gives emollience and gloss to the lips. It is also a conditioner of dry, chapped lips.

Candelilla Wax - A natural wax obtained from various plant species of Euphoriaceae.

Flavor/Fragrance - These are comprised of both natural and artificial ingredients, all of which are GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) for use in cosmetic and food products. These ingredients give Lip Smackers their characteristic flavor and aroma.

Polybutene - A polymer which is made up of a mixture of butenes. This ingredient adds gloss and wearability to the product.

Sesame Oil - A natural oil obtained from the seeds of Sesamim Indicum. This ingredient adds gloss and emolliency.

Ozokerite - A wax derived from mineral or petroleum sources. This ingredient adds rigidity and structure to the product.

Carnauba - A natural wax obtained from the leaves and leaf buds of the Brazilian Wax Palm, Coperinicia Cerefera. This ingredient adds rigidity and structure.

Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol - The acetyl ester of lanolin alcohol. This is derived from lanolin, a by-product of the wool industry. This is a very good conditioner for dry, chapped lips.

Mineral Oil - A refined liquid obtained from petroleum. This ingredient adds emolliency to the lips.

Hydrogenated Soy Glycerides - This is the end product of a reaction using soybean oil. This ingredient adds structure and rigidity to the product. Also, it provides conditioning for dry, chapped lips.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:09 am

Ahaha! I used to use Bonne Bell lip smacker products in elementary school. I didn't know they still made them. I liked the Dr. Pepper one, not because of the flavor, but because it provided a nice hint of color.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:11 am

You might want to check out The Body Shop. Admittedly, they've changed a bit since the '90s when I worked there, but they specifically didn't use mineral oil (petroleum) in their lotions and such, unlike Bath & Body Works. I used to make my own skincare products, including lip balm and body powder. My lipbalms were beeswax based and my body powder was cornstarch and arrowroot powder. If you need a talc alternative, definitely try using cornstarch. There are tons of indie skincare companies out there making safe skincare products. Etsy is a good place to start and usually if you have any questions, you can contact the seller to ask about ingredients.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:39 am

Ah, Anita Roddick, what a woman.

Alas, you guys know my embarrassing Lip Smackers secret :oops: VMH- TOTAL elementary school. I will,however, openly admit that I stopped using Bonne Bell "perfume" in the 6th grade hahahaha :D

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm very sad to be finding out the mineral powder I thought was good for my skin and that I really loved using really could be the culprit behind my lung scarring. :(

It's good to see there are a lot of alternatives to fall back on, however.

Em, it seems the Lip Smackers are on the right track, but they still contain mineral oil and petroleum. :evil:

I need to do more research on this and I'm speaking with my doctor tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Nancy, here's a response to Dr. Oz from someone who produces mineral makeup.
http://fortunateface.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ormer.html

I want to see a response from the makers of Bare Escentuals/Bare Minerals since I use Mineral Veil.... :?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for that, Laura. I was wondering when responses would start showing up.

I'm as curious as you about Bare Escentuals, since I'm also a fan of Mineral Veil, and I don't want to have to stop using it.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:11 am

Laura, interesting article. Very informative about nanoparticles etc. and particle size.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:29 am

Here's an article by Paula Bergoun, who writes a lot about mineral makeup:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-care-f ... akeup.aspx
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:50 am

Nancy, some VERY interesting info about Talc in that one.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:13 am

I know, Em. I thought of you.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks Nancy- lots of good info there.

I was talking to my friend Ann who turned me on to BE and she says this is old news at the BE boards. She says she loads her brush and when she applies it, not much is drifting down- but she holds her breath just to be safe- cuz no way is she giving up her BE! :D So this morning- I held my breath, lol. :P

She also said- "I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs- I ain't giving up my mineral makeup!" :clap:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah, some of the posts I read were from 2008, so it's not new news. Dr Oz has just put the spotlight on it. He said if you want to use powder, use pressed powder and have the windows open, so holding your breath seems like a good option. (okay I admit it, I used my Mineral Veil this morning, ac blasting, holding my breath as well! :rolls: ) The things we do! :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:00 am

OK, a little bit off topic here. However, I have a little spot on my cheek that has been there for many months. It's raised and skin colored but looks like it has a dark spot underneath it. I can't "pop" it like a pimple and i don't think it's a black head. It's kind of hard and not swollen or tender. But it won't go away. I've tried exfoliating and I even took a needle to it with no luck. Anybody have any clue???

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Get it checked by a dermotologist to be sure, especially if it has that dark spot you talked about. They'll know what to do about it.
It's beauty-related, Em, so it's not off-topic. :D

I spoke to my doctor yesterday, and she said that my suspicions about my lung problem and the mineral makeup are valid. She said when you can't find anything wrong with a patient who exhibits a medical problem, you have to start exploring outside the box, and this is the possible answer to my problem.
So I'm taking one for the team and not using Bare Minerals anymore. :tears:

I'll let you know how I like my substitute when it arrives. :?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”