Birmingham - May 10 - Tour stop #6

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Re: Birmingham - May 10 - Tour stop #6

Postby onlyalways » Mon May 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey! Everything has already been said really, but I just wanted to say that Venus was absolutely lovely in person! (Not like I had any doubts! ;) ) It was amazing to experience the concert with you, sarpugster, and Sara. The concert itself was the best live show I've ever seen. And the guys were absolute sweethearts in person.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon May 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Aww it was an absolute pleasure sharing the whole experience with you, sarpugster and Sara, onlyalways! :hug: Yes, I cannot emphasise enough how amazing the whole gig was and the meet and greet was the icing on the cake! It was the perfect first FOTC live experience for me. :nod:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:10 pm

4or The Record:
Flight of the Conchords : Birmingham N.I.A

Flight of the Conchords

Where: Birmingham N.I.A.

When: 10 May 2010

In the fiction of the TV show, Flight of the Conchords are a struggling pop-folk parody duo, desperate for gigs. In reality, their UK tour has sold out a string of arena dates country-wide. This gig, in Birmingham's cavernous NIA, is likely a nice low-key warm-up for a number of later dates at Wembley.

And it truly is a gig. There's some consternation on the way out from those around me. For some it clearly wasn't what they were expecting. This is no theatrical production based on the TV show. Despite the warm-up act being the brilliant stand-up comic and show guest-star Eugene Mirman, the focus is very much on the music. Of course, the between song banter is ten times funnier than what most bands come up with, but it never overshadows the songs. There's no narrative, no overriding theme, just a huge set of funny songs.

The production values are suitably Conchords: they arrive on the stage in robot costumes to perform the first number, "Too Many Dicks (On the Dance Floor)". When I say robot costumes, I do of course mean wearing silver-painted cardboard boxes on their heads. One thing that's immediately apparent is that, funny as they are, the Conchords are also hugely talented musician. While they're mostly at home both playing acoustic guitar, at various points they take to piano, ukulele, drums and tiny red novelty piano. The addition of the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra - actually just a guy called Nigel who plays Cello - helps round out the sound.

The issue with comedy songs, of course, is that while they may be musically sound, after you've heard them once, you know the joke, so the power is lost. And many Conchords fans will have heard these tracks far more than just once. But they duo are capable of changing the songs around just enough so that the odd new punchline can be thrown in, keeping them fresh and keeping the laughs coming. They strike a beautiful balance and it works brilliantly.

The set is fun and varied, from rap-parody "Hurt Feelings" (which Germaine later reprises when someone shouts out "I love you Brett!") through "Epileptic Dogs" and the utterly bizarre "Foux du Fafa" which makes you realise how fun the vague memories of French GCSE can be.

It gets a tad self-indulgent towards the end of the main set, with "Bowie" and "Demon Woman" both out-staying their welcome somewhat: they're funny, but the joke is too one-note, and even the brilliant costume changes can't help them.

But things pick up again in the encore: "Business Time" is always fun and there's a bizarre moment when the shouts of requests for various songs suddenly coalesce in to one "Albi!" "Yeah play Albi" "Do Albi!" - unsurprisingly, the Conchords are happy to oblige. A reworked version of "Sugalumps" closes the show, with Brett complaining that the security guards are after his sugalumps as they help him back on the stage he'd chosen to jump off earlier.

A bizarre show, but great. Funny, but brilliant musically too. The Conchords have really found the balance, and their success is well deserved, even if it means seeing them in enormo-domes rather than the tiny clubs to which they'd be more suited. But then without this crazy level of success we'd never get their stories of crazy debauchery while on tour, like the time they ate the muffins in the hotel room while on a diet, or when they got in the lift and forgot to press the button. True rockstars for the awkward geek generation.

Set list

Too Many Dicks (On the Dance Floor)

The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)

Hurt Feelings

Jenny

Think About It

1353 (Woo Song)

Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros

Ladies of the World

Epileptic Dogs

I'm Not Crying

Foux du Fafa

Bowie

Demon Woman

-Encore-

Business Time

Busdriver's Song

Albi the Racist Dragon

Mutha'uckas

We're Both in Love with a Sexy Lady/Sugalumps

Words: Dean Love

Source
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:25 pm

A few M&G pics I came across on Facebook:

Credit: Blake

Ninjahels
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Ninjahels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello! Thank you for directing me to this thread! Here are the pics outside the NIA My friend and I were just leaving the carpark having gone to the wrong stage door and couldn't believe our luck when we saw Jemaine and Bret signing autographs outside the arena!

They were so friendly and patient with folks wanting pics. Bret misheard me introduce myself as 'Hels' and said, with a huge grin on his face, 'your name is Mel??' I WISH I'd played along now! :D

I was horrified when I accidently stood on Jemaine's foot and apologised profusely! He replied, 'Ah, don't worry. It happens to me all the time!'
I love the first pic because my friend had asked someone to take a pic of the 3 of us but they didn't hear and walked away. Bret grabbed her camera and said 'here we can do it ourselves!' Hence the look of concentration on his face!

I'm so glad to have found a forum of Flight of the Conchords nuts!! :D

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Those are fantastic photos, Ninjahels! Thank you so much for posting them, and sharing your experience with us! :D

Were the guys what you expected? Were you a huge fan before the concert? What did you think of the gig? Do you favor one Conchord over the other? :lol:
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Ninjahels wrote:I'm so glad to have found a forum of Flight of the Conchords nuts!! :D

:rolls: Is it that obvious?

So....are you really a ninja?
Image..Image..Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:41 pm

:yay: Thanks so much for sharing your pics and experience at the Birmingham meet and greet! I've been patiently waiting to read about other people's experience (apart from the people I was with) at the m&g! I wrote a long essay on my experience a few pages back. ;) Lol at Jemaine getting his foot stepped on 'all the time' :lol:. Love that Bret got excited when he thought you were called Mel. :lol: They're such sweet guys, aren't they? :heart: :D
&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Hels, I can't remember if you officially introduced yourself, but if you didn't tell us some more about you here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4&start=930

Great pics! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Ninjahels
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Ninjahels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Thank you for the link! I've formally introduced myself there and admitted which conchord I like the most! :)
Ooh, I'll go back and find that essay Venus! Thanks!
I just remembered another tale. The night before we went to the gig I dreamt we'd met the guys and for a joke my friend purposely cut off our heads when she took the pic of Jemaine and me!
(We have that kind of humour!)
Anway, after we had the pic taken with Jemaine my friend asked if she could take one of just me and Jemaine. He joked we didn't need to because we could just cut her off the pic of the 3 of us. She said 'Ooh you had a dream about that last night didn't you Hels?'
I replied 'Yeah and you'd better not cut our heads off madam!' Jemaine started grinning as we started a mock quarrel like he wasn't there! Luckily he go the joke! :D
Oh dear! I'm just all over excited to have found this forum!! I'll calm down now!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:02 pm

:lol: I love it! That makes sense with Jemaine's adorable smile in your twosome pic! :heart:
Image..Image..Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Haha, great stuff! No need to calm down, hehe. We love details here so don't hesitate to post things as they come to you and reveal all about your experience at the gig, meet and greet and whatever else. :D

I agree, I love Jemaine's smile in that picture of both of you. :D
&

Ninjahels
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Ninjahels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Great post about the gig Venus!! Reading that just brought it all back for me! I've never had post gig blues before but I did after that show!
I loved hearing all my favourite songs live and the banter in between the songs had me screaming with laughter!

Ninjahels
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Ninjahels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:13 pm

Oh hang on! That's not your post..it's a quote. Let me go look again.. :oops:

Ninjahels
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Ninjahels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:20 pm

Ooh I found it! Wow! You got a big old hug from Jemaine!! How cool is that?!! I wish I'd asked but I guess because we arrived late to the party I didn't see fans getting cuddles! :)

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”