Pets, pets and more pets

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Emafer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 am

OK, Cali is genuinely freaking out. Yesterd she brough a dead squirrell into the house. I don't know if she killed it or not but she tried to bring it upstairs to me until Amber caught her and got it out. Then she pooped on the flooer in Shelly's room, then she whined all night while I was out. Today she at the silicone top to Jackson's sippy cup.

She has NEVER EVER EVER killed or brought in a dead animal. That is SOOOOOO far out of character for her. Also she whined all night while everybody was home but me. I know that the last week has been super stressful for me and she's picking up that and all the stress and change around the house. But right now I just need a quick fix for the next couple of weeks while things have a chance to settle down. Any ideas??? At one point I tried Bachs' Rescue Remedy and that didn't do anything. I've also tried Valerian Root and Benedryl and those didn't do anything either.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:10 am

Call the vet.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:30 am

Yeah, I think I'm going to. Shelly works at the clinic at the humane society and we're going to talk to one of their vets about it. She's just a mess right now and I need something to get her through the next couple of weeks until everything settles down.

UPDATE: So tonight I knew I was going out. We decided that Cali should go in her crate in the garage. So in the evening, before I left, I'd put her in for about 20 -30 minutes at a time. As soon as I opened the door she'd hop right in. So, about 10 minutes before I left, I put Cali in her crate in the garage. Then I got my keys and purse and had my date pick me up on the street. I thought that if she didn't see me put on my shoes or get my keys or my purse or hear my car start, there would be little way for her to know that I was even gone. I told the girls to call me if she was whiny and loud and I would come home. Well they didn't call. And I came home and listened at the garage door and Cali was totally quiet. Of course as soon as I opened the door and turned on the light she whined her little butt off.

Long story short, I think that we've found a reasonable solution for the time being and I'm sooooo happy to know that she doesn't seem to be all stressed out by it. YAY!

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:20 am

My theory is that Lola is part crow because she is all about stealing and hoarding random objects. In this pic she had the TV remote, a shoe under a piece of cardboard torn from a pizza box, a pine cone and an apple. Which she had bitten into.

The next day was a set of car keys, a baseball cap and a pen.

Crazy dog.

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:40 am

Dharma does that too. She hides things under her pillow though. Nothing is ever damaged. She just collects.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:12 am

What silly dogs! :rolls:

My 15-year-old kitty, Rex goes in for his ultrasound in 8 hours - wish me luck.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 am

Fingers crossed Nance.

Aimee

Postby Aimee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Good luck Nancy!

Jillbean that is hilarious!

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Let us know how it goes, Nancy!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:58 pm

The news is not good. Rex has cancer. They found a large mass in his lower half, and his lymph nodes are all swollen. She said I should consider putting him down in the next week or so. :cry:

My feeling is I would like the luxury of him telling me it's time instead of me telling him. I have a good bit of free time in the next few days, so I think I'll bring him home and spend some quality time with him. I just don't want him to suffer. I'll post some photos and videos of him on Facebook when I get the chance.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Oh Nancy, I'm SOOOOOOo sorry. :hug: Lots of hugs to you.

Aimee

Postby Aimee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm so sorry Nancy :down: :hug: Spend some quality time with him and you will know when the time is right. It is a very difficult experience, I know...

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

:cry: Im sorry, Nancy.

:hug:

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

I'm so sorry, Nancy. :hug:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 pm

So I went and picked up Rex and asked the vet if he was in any pain. She said probably when he throws up, which he hasn't done too much, so at least he's not suffering.
I told her my biggest sadness would be bringing him back to the office to put him down, not only because I'd be sad, but also because Rex really doesn't like the car ride, and cries all the way, and it would break my heart to hear him crying so. She said because I live so close she'd be willing to come to the house to do it. She then said it might be harder on us to have the memory of him passing there, but still I said I'd think about it. I'm not sure how I feel about it, right now I just don't know.

She gave him a shot to try to shrink the lymph nodes, but we won't know for a day or so if it's working. She said to go home and enjoy his company and see how it goes. So here we are....

Return to “Off topic rambles”