Pets, pets and more pets

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
closet jemainiac

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 pm

I know that when its my kitty's time. Im going to ask them to come to my place.

I dont want to worry about driving anywhere in such a state... Because I will be a big mess...

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 am

Oh Nancy, I hope that you have some wonderful time with Rex right now. That's really nice of the Dr. to offer. It might be really lovely for Rex to be at home and for you be there with him in peace when he passes. But she might be right about having that memory in your home. Whatever you decide I'm sending you tons of love.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:21 am

I'm going back and forth. it might be the best for Rex and me, but what about my other cat, Diesel? Wouldn't it be too traumatic for him? I have to trust that I'll know what to do when the time comes.

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:26 am

Oh, Nancy-I am so sorry to hear about Rex. You'll know when it is time and what to do; I'll be thinking of you and your kitties. :hug:

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Diesel will get it. Nancy, I'm so sorry. ITA with everyone that if you can have someone come to the house, it'll be better.

And give Rexie lots of snuggles and treats! Aw, sweet kitteh.
:goodman:
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Aimee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Oh Nancy, I feel for you and Rex and Diesel so :hug:

I know that in my experience with my cat I probably waited too long and ended up having to take her to an emergency vet where she had to be put down. It was kind of traumatic. I think it is wonderful that you have the option to have the procedure done at home. I wish there was something I could say to comfort you in this painful time, but I know words aren't much comfort :goodman: I will keep all of you in my thoughts.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Thank you all so much for all your kind words. They are deeply appreciated, more than you know.
Both of my brothers thought it was the kindest thing for the vet to offer to do it at the house. As far as Diesel goes, we realized that when a visitor comes to the door, he heads upstairs and out of sight - he's really afraid of strangers and doesn't warm up to people easily, so he probably won't ever associate the vet at the house with the one he visits once a year.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:34 am

This whole discussion is making me want to cry. I am truly sorry to hear about your cat, Nancy. :(

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:12 am

Oh Nancy, I'm so sorry. Give Rex a gentle cuddle for me.

I've only taken 2 beloved dogs to be put to sleep but my Grandmother, when she still lived on her own but couldn't get down to the basement, had a vet who offered to come to the house to care for Queenie, her sweet boxer. She had a growth and he actually sat on the floor of the basement and removed it with a local and something to relax Queenie. And when she got to the point of no return, he came to the house to help her go.

I'm just guessing here.....but if Diesel is able to see that Rex is gone that might be easier on him than you leaving with Rex and coming back alone.
But you go with your gut and what feels right at the time.

You're in my thoughts, Nancy. :hug:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Rex seems to be holding his own for now. He won't eat his Kit 'N Kaboodles, though. I think it's too hard for him to get down, so soft food it is. My vet said give him a hot fudge sundae if he wants it. :lol: God bless him.

I think I've made peace with having the vet come to the house when the time comes. I'm bracing for the inevitable, but trying to enjoy the old guy while he's still with us. :goodman:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:38 am

:hug:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:51 am

Awww, right back atcha, Laura. :bighug:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Nancy wrote:I'm going back and forth. it might be the best for Rex and me, but what about my other cat, Diesel? Wouldn't it be too traumatic for him? I have to trust that I'll know what to do when the time comes.

Nancy, we had Bowie put to sleep at home. I called the vet out on the Wednesday morning as I just knew. We also still had Daisy dog with us at the time (she died two months later :( )

My vet was more than ok to come out, even though it was about a 2 hour round trip drive wise for her (we had moved the week before and as she had been treating him I wanted him to remain under her care till the end). I will never regret my decision. We were all there, I gave Bo a huge cuddle on the sofa and the vet then asked if I was ready (sorry am crying here now writing this). The bloke was giving Daisy a cuddle sat on the floor near us and I just nodded and held Bo up to my chest and talked to him and said goodbye.

The vet then went outside for a bit while I sat and sobbed holding my Bo and the bloke hugging me. Daisy was next to us then, leaning in, almost like she knew.

After a while I asked Daniel to go out and get Louise and then we carried Bo out to her car wrapped in a blanket. We had him cremated and his ashes returned to us a week later.

I think I cried for weeks over his death, I was 5 months pregnant at the time and after 10 or so years with him I missed him so. But I was so glad I had the chance to be with him like that at home rather than at the vets. He hated going to the vets and I would never have put him through that at the end. Not that dog.

I think if you can when the time comes, opt for being at home.

OK am blubbing like a good'un now. Got to stop writing.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:02 pm

You're not the only one blubbering, Sherry. I can hardly see the keyboard. :hug:

I remember seeing your posts about Bowie and Daisy and crying back then about it. Boy, emotions about pets can run so deep! I turned my "Favorite Pets" calendar to the month of May this year and started bawling - it was a Shih-Tzu, the spitting image of my Moose, who died in 2005 at 15 1/2 years old.

I have decided to have Rex put down at home when it's time. He's in the middle of a mini-rally, so I'm letting things go as they will for now. I so agree about not putting him through the car ride that he hates so much. He still likes playing with his Laser Mouse, so as long as he's playing and constantly purring I'm grateful for each good day.

Thanks for your support, Sherry. :bighug:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:06 am

Well, Rex seems to be holding his own for the moment. The shot the vet gave him must have done the trick as far as making him comfortable.
Here's a photo of the old guy, complete with his perfectly posed double front feet, er, mittens :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”