Arj Barker

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Arj Barker

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:36 pm

Arj is performing at Comedy Works, Denver April 22nd-25th 2010.

Arj Barker

Arj Barker is everything smart comedy lovers adore. He starts with simple observations and then takes a clever angle that make other comics mumble, “Why didn’t I think of that?” We’re not sure how he thinks of these things but we’re glad he does.

Arj is an American stand-up comedian who is developing a huge following in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and all over the world. He calls himself a mini star. We think he will soon be a mega star. His credits include HBO’s Flight of the Conchords as “Dave”, co-writer for The Marijuana-Logues, appearances on Late Night with Conan O’Brien, The Glass House, Comedy Central Presents and Premium Blend.

Upcoming Shows

Larimer Square

Thursday, Apr 22 08:00PM
Ages: 21+
Passes Allowed
2 item min. per person in showroom
$17.00
Buy Tickets

Friday, Apr 23 08:00PM
Passes Allowed
$25.00
Buy Tickets

Friday, Apr 23 10:00PM
Passes Allowed
$25.00
Buy Tickets

Saturday, Apr 24 06:30PM
Passes Allowed
$25.00
Buy Tickets

Saturday, Apr 24 08:30PM
No Passes
$25.00
Buy Tickets

Saturday, Apr 24 10:30PM
Passes Allowed
$25.00
Buy Tickets

Sunday, Apr 25 07:00PM
Passes Allowed
$17.00
Buy Tickets

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Will I be missing something amazing if I don't go see Arj in Kilkenny?

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:04 am

I haven't seen Arj live yet but I would recommend looking at a few YouTube clips of his stand up beforehand if you haven't already to see if he's your kinda thing. Also it's a comedy festival so it would help if you liked other comedians on the bill as well. :)
&

kipples

Postby kipples » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:38 am

I check up on the youtube vids.

I looked already at the line ups he's in with but they don't seem that appealing.

I'd say it will have to be something I go to with a friend. Or I could just lurk around Kilkenny and hopefully bump into him!

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Citysearch Interviews Arj Barker

Arj Barker

Citysearch interviews one of Australia’s favourite stand-up comedians, Arj Barker, in Australia for the 2010 Melbourne International Comedy Festival.

Editorial Review

CS: Firstly, congratulations on your show Let Me do The Talking. It’s been very successful so far and you’ve just announced some extra shows…

Thanks, it has gone really well and I don’t know if should say this but I’m a little surprised actually because that’s a lot of people and it’s a pretty big theatre!

CS: What are your plans after the comedy festival? Any relaxation time in Australia?

No not really. I’ll be flying back to the states for a few gigs and then touring Europe with the Flight of the Conchords, then Hong Kong, then Thailand…it never ends. I will be back to Australia after that though and hoping to relax a bit with friends up in north NSW.

CS: We know that you have to say Aussies are great but is that really what keeps you coming back?

It makes sense to keep coming back here because I really do like it and I do well here. Australia is my best market for sure and I have substantially more fans here than anywhere else in the worlds so hey, why wouldn’t I come back?

CS: You really seem to “get” Aussie humour and it’s probably a big part of why we like you so much. Did you have to work at it?

All I ever did was come out and do my job like everywhere else. I wrote the same jokes and I never made any adjustments. I certainly didn’t study Aussie humour and try to write jokes that fit. The shows just went well, people came back and then they brought their friends. I’ve been coming here for 10 years now.

CS: Were you the class clown at school or were you a late bloomer?

The first years of school I was considered a pest - both my best friend and I - and really quite irritating to people. People thought we were kinda funny…but we were undiscovered. We got in trouble a lot with teachers but then later, as the years went by, I got a reputation for being a funny guy. We’re still best friends by the way and like all best friends, we have our own little inside jokes and catalogue of random references that we use to crack each other up.

CS: When you’re not “on” are you dark and moody?

No, not at all. I think I’m a pretty jolly guy actually! I have the potential to be dark and moody but I’m upbeat most of the time…although I might be a tiny bit ADD so sometimes I can come across the wrong way.

CS: What’s your most cringe worthy moment on stage?

Even at the time I thought this was funny but I guess it could be considered pretty cringe worthy. Years ago I used to wear these Lycra metallic pants because I was in a heavy metal or “glam rock” themed show. I couldn’t wear any underwear underneath because you could see it and I hadn’t considered a G-string… although maybe I should have. Anyway, a few minutes into the show I noticed people were giggling and I hadn’t really done any jokes yet and it took me a little while to realise I had my fly open. I wasn’t entirely “out there” but there was some definite foliage. Pretty embarrassing I suppose but I thought it was funny.

CS: You make a lot of jokes in your show about how irritating kids can be. Have you offended ay of your friends?

No not at all. Everybody who knows me and even audiences know on the night, that I’m just going for laughs. I say in shows that I often offend people but I don’t’ really. It’s more that I’m the idiot and I think people see that.

CS: Comedian Mitch Hedberg once said, “I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that.” Can you relate to that?

Yeah see, that’s a great joke and very, very funny. I have been in that situation but I wouldn’t say that it’s the case now. I think I can honestly and confidently say that I’m single. It is a tough one though because I suppose you can never really know what people are thinking 100% of the time - and I wouldn’t want to rub someone’s face in it but, I do consider myself single.

Finally, a really important question. Are you a MAC or a PC?

Mac all the way. And before the MAC, I was an Atari man. Yep, the 800.

Anita Stevens, Citysearch

Find out about Arj Barker's new show Let Me Do the Talking at the Melbourne Comedy Festival

Source
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Atari 800 man..... 8)

I'd love to see Arj live.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:19 pm

He's definitely worth it, Laura. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:59 pm

I love him live! If he does multiple dates in MN again, I will be going a couple of times.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Yeah, he's my fave Conchord cohort. I've seen him live a few times & I'd be happy to see him again. I wish he were opening for FOTC in Amsterdam. I don't think I can sit through Kristen's act again. :eh: :worry:
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Edinburgh is Funny 2010
10 Questions

10 Questions with Arj Barker of Flight of the Conchords
Friday, July 16 2010

Yep, it is indeed Dave from Flight of the Conchords, aka Arj Barker. He's a dead good stand-up you know. He won the Edinburgh Newcomer Award in 1997 and this is his first time back since.

In fact, he's such a popular stand-up in Australia that he sold out an entire run in a 1,500-seat venue at the 2010 Melbourne Comedy Festival. Business time indeed.

EiF: What is your show about?
AB: Its about birth, and death. And that little thing that happens in between.

EiF: Describe it in three words.
AB: Solid. Fuckin’. Show.

EiF: What's your favourite part of it?
AB: The jokes are like my children, so I can’t really have a favourite. I love them all equally and unconditionally.

EiF: Complete this sentence: "If you like ... an ideal mixture of wit and stupidity ... then you'll like my show"

EiF: Is the Edinburgh Comedy Award important to you?
AB: No because this is the first I’ve heard of it.

EiF: What is your Edinburgh daily regime?
AB: Wake up, big bowl of apple sauce, fear of death (gym), show, drinks with friends!

EiF: What's your favourite spot in Edinburgh?
AB: Its been a while since I was up there but I seem to remember that its nice to hike to Arthur’s Seat.

EiF: What advice would you give to an Edinburgh virgin?
AB: Go see the late shows with a few comics on and then you’ll be able to see which acts you might enjoy for an entire hour.

EiF: Name 3 other comics you would recommend seeing.
AB: Mickey D, Rhod Gilbert, Gordon Southern.

EiF: Sum up how do you feel about this year's Edinburgh in one word.
AB: ORGASM!

Arj Barker’s: Let Me Do The Talking will be at the Assembly Rooms Edinburgh Suite, August 5-29, click here for booking.

Source
&

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Does he ever take time off? really, this has been one crazy year for ole' Arjy :clap:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:38 pm

^ :nod: He's always travelling all over the place and performing. All the hard work is paying off. :clap:

'Oh my God- It's Dave from Flight of the Conchords'. Click here to listen to an interview podcast with Arj in Edinburgh. Quite a bit of talk about crying. Poor Arj. ;)

Arj Barker - aka Flight Of The Conchords Dave - interview with TNT

Posted by TNT Today at Aug 06 2010, 05:25 PM

Arj Barker, of Flight Of The Conchords fame, on becoming an honorary Aussie, playing Dave and his return to Edinburgh

You’re returning to Edinburgh for the first time in 10 years. What have you got planned?

The show I’m doing is primarily the show I did in Melbourne this year. There’s so much material to choose from. I wouldn’t go as far as to call it a best-of show, maybe the best-of from the last couple of years.

You play wannabe ladies’ man Dave in Flight Of The Conchords. Do you know any ‘Daves’ in real life?
Well, I think the character was written as an exaggerated, cartoonish version of how Bret [McKenzie] and Jemaine [Clements] perceived me the first few times we hung out.

Oh dear, that’s a worry.
When I first met them in New Zealand, about seven or so years ago, I was always on the road and I wanted to party and meet girls. I think maybe I thought [laughs] I was cooler than I was. I probably said something like: “You guys must score lots of chicks” but they’re really not like that. They thought I was kind of a goofball. But also, everyone on that show is playing a larger than life, dumbed down version of themselves.

What was your favourite Dave-ism?
The thing that made me laugh the hardest when I first read the script was when they’re talking about how girls like sensitive things like Watership Down. It’s the line where Dave says: “I saw a puppy being born once – just to see that little head coming out of that dog’s pussy was so beautiful.” They made him [Dave] dumb enough so that anything offensive he said, you couldn’t really get mad at him.

What happened to the macrame owl in Dave’s shop? Did you souvenir it?
No, but do you remember one episode where Mel put out a band newsletter? I got a copy of that and got the guys to sign it, so I’ll probably donate it to a charity auction at some point.

You were already well-known in Oz and NZ as a stand-up comic before FOTC, but did the show raise your profile?
It definitely gave me another boost. I was already playing five-six hundred seat theatres and it maybe helped push me up into the four-digit range. And people who don’t know me from stand-up might know me from Conchords. I even toyed with calling my Edinburgh show “OMG: It’s Dave from Flight of the Conchords!”

You’re an honorary Aussie now, though in your shows you’ve said you’d “rather drink a bucket of sea water while beating yourself over the head with a piece of wood, than try surfing again”.
Yeah, that really struck a chord with Australians, one they remember years and years later. But I really love Australia – there’s enough space for people not to step on each others’ toes.

What other quintessentially Aussie experiences have you not enjoyed?
I’ve been to several sporting events. I’ve been to the cricket, which was fun, but I was so drunk I think I would have had fun watching someone vacuum a room.

» Assembly @ George St, Edinburgh
Aug 7-29, 9.20pm
edfringe.com

Interview: Alison Grinter

Source
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Arj Barker: Landing of the Conchord

Arj Barker, aka Dave from Flight of the Conchords, set the Fringe alight on his first appearance in 1997. The comic tells Brian Logan why he's returning there a very different man

Brian Logan
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 10 August 2010 21.29 BST

'I'm like a dumb Yoda' … Arj Barker. Photograph: Murdo Macleod for the Guardian

Arj Barker is fretting about a cannon. The Californian standup hasn't been to Edinburgh in 10 years, and he's forgotten those local touches that can make the Fringe so, well, explosive. "Last night, during one of my jokes, in that perfect little space between the setup and the punchline, a cannon went off," he says. Barker's show, it transpires, coincides with the Military Tattoo in the castle, yards from his venue. "It was one of the biggest cannon explosions you can imagine. The audience laughed, I laughed – but that's going to happen every night." He furrows his brow. "When we booked the gig, I was like, 'Jeez, I wonder why the 9.20 slot is available?'"

Barker, now 35, has arrived in Edinburgh wreathed in glory: having starred in what many people see as the world's hippest sitcom, HBO's Flight of the Conchords, he is now returning to the city where, in 1997, he bagged a Perrier best newcomer gong. So you might think he could laugh off the obtrusive military hardware. But Barker's angst is the real thing. His signature style, both as a standup and as his TV alter ego Dave Mohumbhai, may be spaced-out slacker cool – but, in conversation, a fretfulness lurks, barely concealed beneath the easy-going San Francisco drawl.

He's also downbeat about his achievements and tentative in expressing his opinions. One discussion of the dynamics of Flight of the Conchords show tails off when Barker concludes: "I don't claim to know anything about anything, really." If this humility stems from a sense that his is just a minor role in someone else's success, he should give himself a break. Yes, the stars of Flight of the Conchords (another comedy act forged on the Edinburgh Fringe) are undoubtedly the Conchords themselves, played by Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie. But Barker – as the show's know-all, know-nothing pawnshop assistant, dispensing gnomic advice about women and America – appears in almost every episode and is (alongside fellow standups Kristen Schaal and Rhys Darby) one-fifth of the idiosyncratic quintet that made the show so kookily enjoyable.

Barker plays down his contribution. "I'm like a dumb Yoda in the show," he says. "I just pop up and say a few things." But he admits he wouldn't be in Edinburgh without it. By the time he had clocked up four festivals, he had lost his Fringe mojo. A relationship breakup drove him away from the UK, where he had settled, and into the arms of Australia, which has since become "by far my most fertile market".

He returns simply to capitalise on his Conchords success. "I even considered naming my show Oh My God, It's Dave from Flight of the Conchords," he says. Why didn't he? "Half of me thought, 'That's too silly.'" Is he scared of seeming to hang on the Conchords' coat-tails? "No. But I don't expect Flight of the Conchords fans to know Arj Barker is the guy who plays Dave. I need people to go, 'I know that guy, he's funny on that show. Let's go see his standup.' Making that connection: that's been the challenge."

None of this was an issue when Barker first came here in the late 1990s. A standup upstart from San Anselmo, California, he made an instant impact with his blissed-out surrealism. Edinburgh seemed like a home-from-home: Barker was weaned on Monty Python, although he also cites a less likely influence. "I remember one Two Ronnies joke," he says, "which I re-enacted as a child at summer camp. It was one of their fake news items. A robber steals 2,000 eggs, 4,000lbs of chives and 1,500 onions – and police are now looking for a 40ft omelette. I went onstage and said that. And my dad came out dressed as an omelette, with a yellow tarp over him and green s*** taped to it. I loved that joke."

The dad in question is Sikh, but Barker doesn't trade on ethnicity in his comedy. "I did one or two gags early on about that, because making jokes about your heritage was the thing to do. There were a few gags – I'm not proud of them – about how my dad worked at the 7/11, all that Indian stereotype bullshit." But he felt it didn't ring true. "I'm not hiding my ethnicity. It's just that I was raised in a California environment, with mostly white kids but also kids of different ethnicities – and there was never a racial divide. We all sounded the same and we never really thought about it. I never particularly felt like an Indian kid." But he did change his birth name, Arjan Singh Aulakh. Why? "I wanted a stage name people would pronounce correctly." Did he take the new surname from Ronnie Barker? "Maybe subconsciously," he admits.

'Banging is no longer the priority'

Armed with a new moniker, Barker prospered. Over in the UK, he befriended acts who he later saw "rise up and become monsters" of UK comedy. "Jimmy Carr and I worked on a TV idea back then," he says. "We were planning this show about an uptight, stiff English guy and a lazy Californian. I won't tell you who was going to play who." He grins. "Of course, I want to run it by him again, but these days the son of a b**** won't return my calls."

Although he's joking, he has spoken before about distancing himself from the competitive side of the comedy industry. As a young comic, says Barker, "I was like, 'I gotta become a headliner, I gotta get on TV.'" On achieving those goals, he savoured the success. Then he met Clement and McKenzie at an Auckland comedy festival in the early 2000s. "I was partying a lot and drinking," he recalls. "And chasing girls as much as I could."

In fact, Clement and McKenzie's first impression of Barker led directly to the character of wannabe ladies' man Dave: like the other stars of the show, Dave is a cartoon version of the real-life actor playing him. But now Barker has grown up. "Banging chicks," as Dave/Barker calls it, "is not the priority it was. I'm not going to say I go home and read Charlotte's Web every night after my show. I mean, I do some nights – it's a great book. But partying is not what I live for any more."

What he lives for is standup comedy. His efforts to develop an acting and/or TV career have been – Conchords apart – only patchily successful. On the one hand, his spliff-inspired theatre show The Marijuana-Logues played off-Broadway for a year. But he lost out on the lead role in a proposed Indian-American sitcom Nearly Nirvana, and he was knocked out of NBC standup contest Last Comic Standing in the early rounds. Of his performances in the Conchords show, he says: "Aside from a few chuckles and the occasional 'Hey that was great, Arj', I never knew if it was funny, or if I was up to the level of the other actors."

For now, Barker is content to be an excellent standup – on which point, his confidence is bulletproof. His Edinburgh show is, he says, "an hour of power", a greatest hits selection of jokes from the last two years. "I like to act smart," says Barker of his act, "then reveal that I'm either an asshole or an idiot." On stage, he expounds on religion, climate change and the vicissitudes of text-messaging. In conversation, he passionately defends "comedy just for the sake of being funny. I read an article in which a certain comedian said, 'I do important jokes. I don't talk about skittles.' That was the example he used, to show that he took on the issues and helped the world. Well, that's fine – but comedy doesn't have to be about anything. If you have a great joke about skittles, there's nothing wrong with that. If you made someone laugh, that's an important job in itself."

A glass-with-water-in-it person

Barker cites a current routine about gay marriage, in which he mocks the idea that homosexuality can be cured. "If I'm expressing an opinion that's important to me, that's just a bonus. My job is to be funny, and I won't sacrifice that to make a point." On this issue, if on few others, Barker is impassioned, sure of himself – and so dedicated to getting his standup right that I begin to understand why a booming cannon might bother him. "I'm confident because I know I'm a good comic, but I'm not confident everything is going to go my way all the time."

Seemingly channelling his Dave Mohumbhai character, he adds: "As opposed to being a glass-half-empty or a glass-half-full person, I'm more like, 'Oh, there's some water.' But I'm making a living doing what I want to do. I have my health. I have freedom. I could go anywhere in the world and do standup. I want to be more forgiving of myself, live a normal life and try to do good shows. I don't want to be a tortured comedian."

• Arj Barker is at the Assembly Rooms (0131- 623 3030), until 29 August

Source
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Arj seems to be going down well at the Edinburgh Fringe Fest. 8)

The Guardian
Arj Barker
Assembly Rooms

(4/5 stars)

Brian Logan guardian.co.uk, Sunday 15 August 2010 21.46 BST

Prepare yourself, says California standup Arj Barker, for an hour of enjoyable light entertainment. But he's underselling himself: this show, from the star of HBO's Flight of the Conchords, is cracking comedy. The anecdotes and reflections are gloriously dopey. His self-importance is so hopelessly misplaced that you want to hold its hand and take it home. And the delivery is note-perfect, a masterclass in the modulation of tone and timing for comic effect.

Barker's on-stage persona is deliciously amusing. On the one hand, it's the classic know-all who knows less than he thinks, convinced he's a step ahead of his audience ("What you don't understand is ... ") and alarmed that the world isn't hearing his bright ideas. News bulletins should lie to discourage terrorism, say, and after Avatar, 2D movies should be put out of their misery: "That's about as exciting as reading a book!" But like Avatar, Barker has extra dimensions. He knows we know his character is a goofball, so he steps out of that conceit and deconstructs it. But he's a goofball about that, too – the silliness here is multilayered.

He also maximises the impact of material that, by definition, wouldn't look that smart on the page. He addresses throwaway subjects – the naming of planets, the efficacy of fonts – as if they are national emergencies. His theory about climate change ("Perhaps there's something wrong with the sun") is made funny by his emphasis on the last word, which explodes with the impatience of a man to whom the truth is screamingly obvious. Elsewhere, he throws his head back and bellows out punchlines, as if he can no longer bear to keep all this insight to himself. The title of Barker's show is Let Me Do the Talking; I'd gladly have let him do it all night.

Source

The Independent
Arj Barker: Let Me Do the Talking, Assembly Rooms, Edinburgh

(Rated 4/ 5 )
Reviewed Julian Hall

Monday, 16 August 2010

BRYAN BEDDER / GETTY IMAGES
Gentle surrealism: Arj Barker

Winner of the Perrier Newcomer award in 1997, this 36-year-old US comedian is now best known for his appearances in the hit comedy Flight of the Conchords.

Combining a knack for the art of gentle surrealism with a streetwise swagger, like a slightly more badass version of Demetri Martin, albeit without the tight one-liner format, Barker is an easy comedian to watch and listen to without ever being someone whose thought-patterns you take for granted.

Accusing Nasa of being hillbillies because they shoot things at the Moon is just one delicious example of Barker's shtick. His routines build without too much contextualising and wastage. He approaches the phenomenon of 3D movies from various angles, all of which pay off, even the more surreal premise of saving the people in the front three rows from injury at the hands of enhanced screen action.

A prolonged routine about using an internal hotel telephone as his home phone is, in parts, one of his weakest yet it never palls into something resembling a lull.

The energy and trust Barker has built still keeps us expectant and quietly confident in that expectancy. There will be bolder comics on the Fringe than Barker, more raucous and lustful in their quest for the big laugh, but this show is a great example of not peaking too early.

To 29 August (not 16)

Source

Edinburgh is Funny
Edinburgh Festival review – Arj Barker
Tuesday, August 17 2010

It's 13 years since Arj Barker was crowned Best Newcomer, and the Flight of the Conchords star has lost none of his easy-going brilliance, says Julian Hall.

This is one of the easiest hours of comedy I have had on the Fringe this year and I don't mean that in anything but a good way.

The easygoing Californian and his sweet insouciance make for an evening that is comfortable without lacking in challenge, there's plenty of brain work to be done, for example, in trying to get inside the head of someone who likens NASA to hillbillies for shooting things at the moon.

Although not a themed show about space travel by any stretch of the imagination, one of the other enjoyable routines within it involves Barker taking a kind of audit register of the planets and commending them and condoning them for their efforts to keep up their planetary status. Needless to say that Pluto does not come out of this well.

This apparently simple routine would be exactly that in the hands of a lesser comic but the 36-year-old Flight of the Conchords star layers it well and his relaxed demeanour means that the concept is sold to us much more naturally than by a comic who, if you will forgive the pun, barks the material out.

Once crowned a Perrier Best Newcomer, a prodigal son has returned.

Four stars

Arj Barker – Let Me Do the Talking is on at 9.20pm at Assembly on George Street, click here for bookin.

Source

Big On Glasgow
Edinburgh Festival Review: Arj Barker – Let Me Do The Talking

August 17, 2010 @ 3:58 pm Posted By Nadine McBay

Arj Barker is at Assembly @ George Street until Aug 29

Arj Barker strides onto the stage and effectively tells the audience to shut up. He is, he claims, tired of stereotypical comedians asking the audience where they’re from and what they do, hence the title of the show. The audience is there to listen only.

Not that anyone would want to interrupt. With an effortless confidence, Barker is never less than brilliantly funny. Beyond the lack of audience participation, there is no theme to his show, allowing for a scattershot journey through his mind which is both intelligent and unashamedly silly – his take on 3D cinema is ridiculous and worth the entrance price alone. There’s a Stewart Lee -type quality to some of his more rambling anecdotes, analyzing how they have fared in the room and stretching them out to absurdly hilarious peaks.

The subjects he tackles aren’t always uncharted territory, but when his thoughts on global warming, staying in hotels and things to do before you die are so stomach-achingly good, this is forgivable. Besides, there aren’t many comedians who would follow up a rant about Avatar with a lengthy anthropomorphised take on the planets of the solar system having their planetary status evaluated, and fewer still who could pull it off.

Just before the show ends, a man gets up to go to the toilet, but after being promised one last extra-specially good joke, he of course sits back down again. Barker is best known for his role as Dave in Flight Of The Conchords, but he makes absolutely no mention of the show, and nor does he need to. He has more than proved he is funny and charming enough to be a draw himself, and judging by the reaction of tonight’s sold out crowd, that was never in any doubt.

Heather Crumley

Until Aug 29, Assembly @ George Street, 9.20pm.

Source
&

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:20 pm

He deserves all the love he gets. He was great in the Marijuana-logues (even though I didn't know it was him at the time), and his stand-up is first-rate.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”