Arj Barker

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Arj Barker

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Wow - great reviews for a great talent. Anyone would kill for reviews like those. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 pm

From the Guardian interview: "Banging chicks," as Dave/Barker calls it, "is not the priority it was. I'm not going to say I go home and read Charlotte's Web every night after my show. I mean, I do some nights – it's a great book. But partying is not what I live for any more."

Heehee! Arj! I thought he was great in Vegas. I was rolling. Very flattering reviews from the Fringe Fest. I'm thinking I may have to hit that one of these years.
Image..Image..Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:56 am

I adored seeing Arj live. I love his delivery - so unique, so funny! :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Flight of the Conchords may rise again
November 15, 2010 - 7:59AM

Click here to see a video interview with Arj including footage from his new DVD: Arj Barker to put down mic. Arj Barker has decided to take a break from comedy after next year's tour.

Cult comedy Flight Of The Conchords could rise again with discussions apparently underway to bring a live version of the TV series to Australia and New Zealand next year.

US comedian Arj Barker, who plays the philosophising stoner Dave in the Grammy-winning hit, has been trying to persuade creators Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement to tour a stage show Down Under.

The duo retired the HBO TV series last year following its second season, with the story's hapless lead characters finally returning home to New Zealand after failing to hit the big time in New York's dizzy music scene.

Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement in Flight of the Conchords.

But the much-loved musical comedy has since been revived for successful stage runs in the UK and the US, and may be about to take off again.

"Brett and Jemaine have talked about touring Australia and New Zealand maybe next year but I don't know, it's a possibility," Barker said.

"I always tell them they should come down here because the live show would go down really well."

Busy work schedules appear to be the biggest stumbling block. Clement is currently filming for his role as the lead villain in Men In Black 3-D while McKenzie is involved in the music for a forthcoming Muppets movie.

Barker is a successful stand-up comedian in his own right and is currently touring Australia, the country he refers to as his "second home", on a 34-date tour.

"I don't know when we'll work together again but I imagine we will in some capacity," he said.

And as for those bumbling characters from Flight Of The Conchords returning to our screens for a third series?

"I wouldn't say it's impossible that they won't do something again, maybe a movie or a one-off or something," Barker said.

"I wouldn't rule it out because the band Flight Of The Conchords has never broken up."

Arj Barker is currently touring Australia while his ARIA-nominated Australian only release DVD, Forever, is out now.

Source

ETA: There's now a video interview included in the article including footage of Arj playing the guitar for a song at the end of his set for his new DVD. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:01 pm

These types of articles exasperate me. :roll:

1. Are discussions really "apparently under way"? They seem to merely be referring to the fact that Arj has mentioned to FOTC that a live show would do well down under.

2. "But the much-loved musical comedy has since been revived for successful stage runs in the UK and the US" Has it? There seems to be ongoing confusion between FOTC - the real life musicians performing songs on tour - and FOTC the guys on a TV show. What type of live experience are they talking about here? A musical tour or a live stage version (ie play) of the TV show?

3. Bret mentioned the possibility of touring down under quite a while before the 2010 tour was arranged. Is he still talking about it with Arj and has anything moved beyond that? It sounds unlikely.

With that said I do think the down underers are clearly long overdue in the FOTC live experience department & I do think it's only fair that they get some love some time soon.
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:52 am

And someone drops a heck of a lot of bucks on my doorstep so I can go down under and see them, and meet Great H, helgecko, and all the other NZ and Aussie WTFers!!! :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

MinorMajorStalker
Half a shapely halibut

"Flight of the Conchords may Rise Again"

Postby MinorMajorStalker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:59 am

An article I found-- Arj Barker talking about Conchords possible future. It also explains what Bret is doing in LA in terms of the Muppet movie. Here's the link if you haven't already read this!
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/stage/flight-of-the-conchords-may-rise-again-20101115-17t2e.html :D :wink:
Welcome to my patio of death.

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: "Flight of the Conchords may Rise Again"

Postby Great H » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:09 am

I blooming WISH they'd tour in this hemisphere!
*mutters grumpily about where they blooming came from in the first place...*

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Re: "Flight of the Conchords may Rise Again"

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Okay, that reviewer is so out of it. It's been news for months there is no season 3. The Conchords don't do a version of the show live. Google is your friend!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:00 pm

SheWolf wrote:These types of articles exasperate me. :roll:

1. Are discussions really "apparently under way"? They seem to merely be referring to the fact that Arj has mentioned to FOTC that a live show would do well down under.

2. "But the much-loved musical comedy has since been revived for successful stage runs in the UK and the US" Has it? There seems to be ongoing confusion between FOTC - the real life musicians performing songs on tour - and FOTC the guys on a TV show. What type of live experience are they talking about here? A musical tour or a live stage version (ie play) of the TV show?

3. Bret mentioned the possibility of touring down under quite a while before the 2010 tour was arranged. Is he still talking about it with Arj and has anything moved beyond that? It sounds unlikely.

With that said I do think the down underers are clearly long overdue in the FOTC live experience department & I do think it's only fair that they get some love some time soon.

SW, seriously, I don't think the writer has even seen the show. I mentioned elsewhere that a quick Google search would have answered all the questions for that person. Ah, well.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:27 pm

However I do think it's likely that they will do a tour of NZ and Australia, and quite frankly, while it pains me to say it because I desperately want them to tour the US again, they really should.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:33 pm

I figure a tour of Aus/NZ wouldn't take them very long. But I doubt they'd do a tour like that as well as a US one in the same year.

They didn't do an American tour last year and seeing as their biggest audience seems to be here and they can play bigger venues, it would be beneficial moneywise for them to do so. (I remember Jemaine saying once that the most money to be made is in touring).

However, while it pains me to say this, I am deeply spoiled and don't relish the idea of seeing them in a large venue in the US (unless I'm in the first 5 rows :lol: ). My dream would be another European tour with some smallish venues and a few out of the way locations. :D Coz this wolf wouldn't survive the flight down under.
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 pm

SheWolf wrote:However, while it pains me to say this, I am deeply spoiled and don't relish the idea of seeing them in a large venue in the US (unless I'm in the first 5 rows :lol: ).

I agree, but I want them to play some smallish venues here in the US because there is no way I could justify a trip to Europe to my husband - although admittedly it would be easier than justifying a trip to NZ, lol.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:56 pm

See this is the reason why husbands are sometimes a problem.
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Yup. Though on the other hand he is handy for killing spiders so it's a trade off. ;)

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”