How Many Days Until Christmas??

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

How Many Days Until Christmas??

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:56 am

Yep. It's the most wonderful time of the year! Gift buying, tree decorating, holiday parties, Christmas music, drunken office parties, STRESS!

Wanted to get feedback on a Sound of Music mashup I came across today. Decided to create a place to put all things Christmas.

Recipes
Gift Ideas
Favorite music & vids (yeah bring on the chipmunks & cats)
Decorating Ideas
Stress relievers (drink recipes :lol: :lol: )

and everything that fits under the tree.

So check this out, what do ya think? I can't decide. I love the Jackson 5 and I love the Sound of Music but I can't decide on this.

http://soundcloud.com/user5957344/do-re-mi-abc

*edited to add* yeah it took a few listens to decide that I do like it, the beginning is rough but middle to end is really a lot of fun.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: How Many Days Until Christmas??

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:58 pm

On my drive in to work today, there was a lively debate on colored lights vs. all white lights on the tree. Also do you like your lights twinkling or prefer the solid glow? We have a wide variety in our neighborhood. I try not to judge people on how they decorate for the holidays...though I will say that I'm not a fan of those "nets" of lights that the lazy guy at the end of the street throws on his bushes. I mean I'm all for simplifying the season, but the square of lights doesn't even cover the whole bush. Puhlease. :roll: :wink:
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

I prefer non blinking colored lights, that goes for the inside tree as well as outdoor decorations. I'm not a fan of themed trees, angels or anything pastel.
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:03 pm

Not a fan of the nets. :hrmpf: Especially the kind you describe, where it looks like they just tossed it over the tops of the bushes, lol. I mean really... don't even bother, people.

Non-flashing multi-colored lights for me. :thumb: Although the all white ones look classy and I do like them, I prefer the riot of cheerful color. Also they look really cool shining underneath snow. :thumb: How about the giant gumdrop lights? I actually like them, but I do not like it when people mix the tiny ones with the giant gumdrops, that just looks silly.

You know how some people have blue Christmas lights? My grandmother always used to tell me how back in the 1940s during WWII that was the only kind of lights you were allowed to have because apparently they were harder to see from the sky, in case of an air raid. Can you imagine, being a pilot and aiming your bombs towards the Christmas lights? :( Anyway she hated the blue lights because they reminded her of that. We always had a million colored lights all over the outside of our house, lol.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I don't think I've seen gumdrop lights or the blue ones (except for Hanukkah). Some family members (who shall remain nameless but they know who they are *glares*) think that colored lights are "tacky." Mind you, these are the same family members who act like they have money (though they don't) and buy the finest of everything whether it's ugly or not and decorate their tree totally in pink balls and pink lights. :roll:

Speaking of which....when one of my colored light strands crapped out a few years ago I had a heck of a time finding a strand that had red in it rather than pink. What gives? Why wouldn't red, the quintessential Xmas color, be included in a strand of colored lights?
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 pm

We have red *and* pink on ours.

You totally know gumdrop lights. You probably just don't call them that, lol. I think nonch has them in her avatar.

Here's a house with blue Christmas lights. I think they're more common around here than most places because our local college team colors are blue and white. :roll: That doesn't explain why we used to see them in Boston though. :hrm:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Hmmm... can't say I've seen a house trimmed in blue before. I don't dislike it but it doesn't look particularly Christmassy.

Oh yes gumdrop lights - I like them.
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:24 am

Some years I do all white lights on my tree, sometimes colored, sometimes twinkling, others not. I buy what's on sale after the holidays and then when I pull out my tree the next year...it's a surprise! No red lights on the colored strands, SW?!?!? That's strange...and wrong. My mom decorates the outside of her house with all red and white gumdrop lights. It is beautiful. (I had never heard them called that before either!) That blue house looks just a bit too Matrix for me. :lol: Oh man, I have to try to take a pic of this house across town that puts an excessive number of inflatables, plastic statuary, animatrons...you name it...in their yard. It's hilarious! (and I'm glad it's clear across town) :whistle:

Is The Sound of Music considered a Christmas movie, 4ever? My favorite Christmas movie is Love Actually. :heart: A truly perfect film.
Image..Image..Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:04 am

I'm with Nonch on Love Actually as the perfect Christmas movie :nod:

As for my lights: all white, non-blinking, please :D (I do think coloured ones are a bit tacky... :roll: Sorry. I can handle them as long as they're not blinking but in all honesty it does look a lot classier with all whites :) )

Very light blue ones on on the outside of the house look a bit icey and cool but when they're too dark it just looks gloomy and weird.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:09 am

[Day 328/365] by faith830, on Flickr

We use the net lights at our house, but we just hang them in the front window. Looks a lot nicer than throwing them over a bush.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:50 am

That's pretty. :)

Tradition. Dress the dog like Santa. :lol:

Image..Image..Image

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:53 pm

He doesn't look too impressed. :lol:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:21 pm

He looks human in some way. I'm creeped out.

Red & white lights sound lovely nonch. The peppermint theme is my favorite for the holidays.

I think colored lights looks festive and Christmassy. There is a Mexican/Cajun restaurant around here that is decorated year round in strands of colored lights and it always feels like a party in there. :partyman:

White lights are more bland but can be pretty too. I like how their reflection makes them look a bit like snowflakes here.

90% evil
ImageImage

SecretCheri
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SecretCheri » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:35 pm

SheWolf wrote: I'm not a fan of themed trees, angels or anything pastel.

What if it was a certain two man folk-comedy duo themed tree? I think I would like one of those! There would probably be angels included, too...

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:10 pm

I like blinking multicolored lights, plain white lights, gum drop lights (never heard that term either, but I like it) all of them. Right now I have red and blue lights on my tree. Blame them being cheap at wal-mart for that. My tree's sort of patriotic for some reason. I really want to upgrade to all purple someday. Most of my ornaments are purple and I really want to have a sort of prince tree. lol
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Return to “Off topic rambles”