How Many Days Until Christmas??

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: How Many Days Until Christmas??

Postby LauraK » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:52 am

Where did I post this?! Cuz I did! "I Believe in Santa Claus" alwaysalways makes me cry......"Blue Christmas" I can resist if I look away....and I also cry at the end!! It's my favorite, #1, must-see every year, which is why we own it, and sometimes watch it in the summer. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:42 am

Wow you guys, I can't believe I never was exposed to this one. It said 1974 on that YouTube song - that's when I was working in NYC, which is why I would have missed it. But I wonder why I never caught it in subsequent years. :hrm:
It obviously was made by the same group that did Rudolph, etc. I'll definitely have to give it a look.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:04 am

Year Without a Santa Claus has always been my favorite holiday show too. I love all of the old Rankin Bass stuff, but that one has some of the best music and the Miser brothers are just so much fun.

Someone put out a sequel of sorts a few years ago called Miser Brothers' Christmas which sadly is completely unwatchable. I've never made it through more than about 10 minutes of it. I just tried watching it again the other day and finally had to shut it off when they started singing a reprise of the old song. Everything is different, the characters don't look or sound the same (Mother Nature looked about 30 years younger), and the plot has that annoying sappy quality all children's TV seems to have nowadays. Nothing can compare to those good old 60s/70s shows. :hrmpf:

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi Guys! I thought I'd show you a couple of things traditional Christmas things in Auckland NZ. First there's the big Santa that goes up on the Whitcoulls building in the central city...

This Santa is absolutely massive! Up until this year one of his eye's winked and the finger on his hand moved in a beckoning motion - it always looked slightly lecherous! :lol: I don't know why it's not moving anymore - maybe it's just old now and has broken or maybe the office workers behind it complained about the noise of the motor drives or something, not sure.

Oh! I forgot to take a pic of the big Xmas tree on the corner of my street! I'll do that tomorrow night and come back with that shot. It's pretty neat. Meantime...

We kiwis are a pretty laid back bunch, not much given to flashy decorations or anything like that. With one big exception - Franklin Rd in Ponsonby - which is only a couple of streets from where I live. Anyway, every year starting December first every house on the street (well, almost every house) puts on Christmas lights. It can be quite a show and as the month goes on the decorations get more and more vibrant and half of Auckland seems to come to visit. It gets totally PACKED, the traffic gets backed up for blocks and there's absolutely NO parking to be had anywhere, but I love it. :D Anyway, I went for a walk at about 10pm tonight and took my camera with me so you could see Franklin Road with me this year. It's rubbish quality video and I've done absolutely no editing other than bunging the shots together, but you should get an idea of the general atmosphere...

Note: The vid is all in little bits rather than one continous shot - there were just too many people around to film continuously without risking breaking my neck tripping on something! And there are some still shots at the end as well, but I couldn't figure out how to stop the software from zooming in on each one :blush: The sound is a bit messed up in places but you'll mostly be able to hear what is going on - there are choral groups of various qualities from kids to choirs, some horns, a harpist and a violinist all playing on the street. You'll see Santa's laundry hanging at one house, but I didn't capture the teenage boys doing punk versions of popular carols, nor any of the wandering Santas, the guy dressed up as a tree, or the people with their pets that were almost as brightly lit as the houses. And this year the entrepreneurial guy with the portable coffee stand didn't seem to make it and the house with the snow machine blowing fake snow over everyone must have displeased the council. Shame, that one was fun last year! :lol:

Anyway, welcome to my suburb at Christmas... :D

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:17 pm

I've been to that Whitcoull's! That's a huge Santa and reindeer. Loved all the lights and carolers in your video. :D

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:30 pm

My one Christmas in Australia was awesome. Swimming and grilling and you didn't even miss the big tree and huge presents. Very cool.

Well, I'm done shopping. We went to see the wonderful, campy Ballet of the Dolls last night. They are a part ballet/part performance art company that delights in tweaking classic material. They did their interpretation of the movie "Cinderfella" and it was hysterical and very sweet and fun. Now I feel in a holiday mood.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Oh man H that was a lovely video. :D

I've had a photo of the Santa at Whitcoulls in my flickr favorites for some time now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32955908@N ... hebearess/. You can tell that Santa is old. I love old/creepy Christmas decorations. Is the reindeer a new addition? He looks old too.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:27 pm

I thought his finger looked weird.....I can totally see that beckoning looking lecherous! :lol:

H, your video was wonderful! It was so nice to see all the beautifully decorated houses and all the people coming out to see them and make music and sing. :) Very nice indeed. You see the decos here, but none of the rest. Santa's laundry cracked me up, and I loved the penguins. One of my faves was the house around 3:25 with the cross and color-changing light on the walls.

I'm surprised that hasn't spread to other streets....yet. :) Very nice- Thanks!
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Weird....but cool. Try "Jingle Bell Rock" or "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." "12 Days of Christmas" is a riot. :D

http://www.sundog.net/carolofthechins/flash/card.swf

I wish they knew more songs....
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Nancy wrote:Wow you guys, I can't believe I never was exposed to this one. It said 1974 on that YouTube song - that's when I was working in NYC, which is why I would have missed it. But I wonder why I never caught it in subsequent years. :hrm:
Haha, what does working in NYC have to do with it? Did they not have TVs then? :P I dunno when I first saw it, I only remember always knowing it. ABC played it every year for a looong time. It's on ABC Family channel tomorrow night Nancy. :wink: I've got my DVD out and am going to watch tonight. :) Eorious, I love all the Rankin/Bass stuff too. My friend who grew up in El Salvador wasn't familiar with those shows and when we watched a few she thought they were creepy. Such sacrilege!
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:00 pm

I was 7 when it came out so I've also been watching forever. :) #2 would probably Santa Claus is Comin' to Town with The Winter Warlock ("Put one foot in front of the other....and soon you'll be walkin 'cross the floo-or-or...") and the Burgermeister-Meisterburger, which tells the whole true story about how Santa got his name and how he started the whole present-giving tradition. :) Hehe, Kris was a ginger til his hair went white! ;)
#3 is Rudolph, even though seeing it now makes me want to punch some of those nasty, judgemental reindeer- including Rudolph's Dad and Santa, the meanies! But I loved Hermie and Yukon Cornelius... :) #4 is probably How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I hate to admit it, but when those damn Whos come outside Christmas morning and sing that annoying song even though the Grinch stole their Christmas, it makes me cry, grrr..... :lol:
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:12 pm

I liked the one when Santa was a ginger - I just didn't remember the name of it. Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey was the saddest thing ever! That show could traumatize a kid. But when he lead Mary & Joseph to the manger I was so proud. :D

I'm Grinch challenged - I never read the books or watched the TV specials.
90% evil
ImageImage

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:06 am

I actually was traumatized by Nestor the Long Eared Donkey. I remember watching it the first time it aired and just sobbing the whole night. After that whenever it was on I would have to leave the room or turn off the TV. It came on when I was wrapping gifts last year and I discovered it's every bit as upsetting now as it was when I was little. :cry:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:34 am

Wow, thanks so much for sharing that pic of the giant Santa and the video of all the lights, Great H! Very cool! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:50 am

Great H, what a wonderful glimpse into NZ Christmastime! :thumb:
I love all the houses decked out in their lights. We used to have a short little street of about ten houses that was renamed Christmas Tree Lane, because every house would put lights up like those you pictured. Every year after Christmas dinner, we'd purposely go by the street to see all the lights. Sadly, the tradition has not been passed down to those who live there now, and the street sign has been removed, because not one house does outdoor lights anymore. :(

SW, I didn't watch TV when I was first in NYC, because I was either performing or working in a restaurant checking coats from 5-1am. It really must have passed me by. I'll see it, now that I've had your recommendations. :D

I like the old cartoons you've all mentioned, also A Charlie Brown Christmas,The Christmas That Almost Wasn't (Joel Grey was one of the leads, along with Tammy Grimes), and especially Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol, because of the great music. And Polar Express. I cry at the end every time.

Aww, I'm gettin' all sentimental here... :tears:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”