New film from novel Predicament (link in 1st post) SPOILERS

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
MinorMajorStalker
Half a shapely halibut

Re: New film from novel Predicament (link in 1st post) SPOIL

Postby MinorMajorStalker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:44 am

amazing picture :love: thanks for posting nonch! :D I never realized how much taller Jemaine is than Jason. He looks kind of like an ogre that works in the library next to Jason. Oh, man I can't wait to watch this movie
Welcome to my patio of death.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm just spitballing here, but it sounds like the NZ Film Commission buried the film because it was too "period" and "parochial". Yet, all the yanks who've seen it love it! And I trust their taste! This film needs a second chance, bigtime. I hope it makes it on the art circuit here.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:12 pm

I wonder. I hope it does too.

There were several lines in the film that were mildly shocking in their vulgarity and bluntness. I like those little unexpected jolts from old movies or period pieces. I tend to romanticize the era and I enjoy the not unpleasant reminder that many of my grandma's contemporaries were just as crass and randy as mine. :wink:

I'm eager to watch the movie again. I was confused at times by parts of the plot, but most of it was cleared up by watching the deleted scenes. Does that denote an editing problem? I may have just missed a line here or there due to the accents. :dunno:

Jemaine really brought Spook to life. He fully embraces the character....little things... :silence: ...I don't want to give anything away! :lol: His timing is so perfectly hilarious. Until Spook enters the movie, I wasn't really watching it as a comedy and I think that was a mistake. I guess I did laugh out loud when Cedric was hit by the car. Was it marketed as a comedy? I have to dig out the book to see how much of the Spook's dialog was added. I don't remember that character being so funny. I also remember several times thinking, "I'll have to ask Great H what the heck THAT means." but right now I can't recall what I was wondering about.

I don't know if Predicament can find a wide market, but I certainly enjoyed it.
Image..Image..Image

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:01 am

nonchalant obsession wrote: I also remember several times thinking, "I'll have to ask Great H what the heck THAT means." but right now I can't recall what I was wondering about.
Ask away when you remember, Nonch! :lol:

Most of the people here that I've spoken too thought much the same as me - good story, well filmed, great costumes/sets and there really were some fabulous tense/funny moments (I won't spoil them for you!) but TERRIBLE acting. Especially by Heath (?) whatsisname - chopper - the Aussie fella. Just awful IMHO which is pretty major considering how big a part he plays.

I also think they made something of a mistake releasing it as part of the film festival here before it opened in the actual cinema - it was the closing night film for the festival in all the main centres which always garner huge audiences. So a big chunk of people that would've probably paid to go and see in on it's own merits would have already seen it before it was released and so would not pay to see it again. That said, they would not have let it be that big a part of the festival if they did not have faith in it. Alas it didn't pay off. :( I really don't think it's being 'buried' - it just didn't work. Mind you, as I've said before, it's extremely rare for NZ made movies make a profit even with their comparatively tiny production budgets so it's not such a shocking thing that it didn't do well.

I can't wait to hear what more of you all think tho!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Okay, then that makes sense that it kind of sunk. I still want to see it, because it turned me into a Ronald Hugh Morrieson fan...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:43 am

Great H wrote:Most of the people here that I've spoken too thought much the same as me - good story, well filmed, great costumes/sets and there really were some fabulous tense/funny moments (I won't spoil them for you!) but TERRIBLE acting. Especially by Heath (?) whatsisname - chopper - the Aussie fella. Just awful IMHO which is pretty major considering how big a part he plays.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. :worry: I hope to give the flick another viewing in the next week, and I'll keep a note pad handy for my questions. Thanks, GH. You guys have to see it though. Jemaine is really hilarious. It probably helped that I had read and enjoyed the book.

I'll try to resist screencapping until everyone who wants to see it gets the chance. :) Damn, Jemaine looks sexy in a long black coat... especially when he's talking about his erection. :lol: I wish I was a man just so I could use his line.
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:37 pm

From the extras (I couldn't resist)
90% evil
ImageImage

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:40 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:especially when he's talking about his erection. :lol:
WHAT?!! I don't remember THAT! :lol:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Great H wrote:
nonchalant obsession wrote:especially when he's talking about his erection. :lol:
WHAT?!! I don't remember THAT! :lol:

I nearly peed myself laughing. I had to rewind to make sure I had heard what I thought I heard. :lol: Remember? The first meeting in the room when Spook is telling Cedric and Mervin about his schemes, the most brilliant of which came to him when he was interrupted from his slumber by the folks going up to the summer house to have "a bit". Jemaine says, "Boy did I see some sights. I used to get a silly(?) on. {insert pervy laugh} {Back to dead serious} I reckon if I woulda tripped over...I probably would have pole vaulted into the lake." :roll2:

That must be a sizable pole to send him that far... :whistle:

That part starts at 23:15 in the movie if you want to go straight to it. I love his expressions.

Nice screencap, SW. :waggle: Lots of yummy Jemaine in this dvd! :nod:
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:09 am

I think I remember that exchange from the book, which is odd, considering that I found the book such a slog that I only skimmed most of it.
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 am

Ha! I don't remember that part from the book at all. I can't put my hands on my copy. Does he actually say "silly"? :lol: I've sure never heard it called that before.
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:22 am

I'm fairly certain it was that exact phrase.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:19 am

I have no opinion to report re: Predicament. It was neither good nor bad. There seems little to say about it really. It left no impression on me, aside from Jemaine being as good as I had expected.

90% evil
ImageImage

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:36 am

Beautiful stills. :nod:
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

MinorMajorStalker
Half a shapely halibut

Postby MinorMajorStalker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 am

awww! :heartbeat: thanks SW!!! is it just me or does he look like a scared little kid in the third pic? he seems to me like a strange mix of 28 and 15. :lol:
Welcome to my patio of death.

Return to “Jemaine Clement”