The Phoenix Foundation

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: The Phoenix Foundation

Postby Great H » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:18 am

Awesome! Seems like they can put on a show too... :lol:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:53 am

Nice photos, emira! :clap:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks so much for the pics! I especially enjoyed the b&w ones. Aahh, you are so very fortunate to see them and more than once!

When I first joined myspace years ago, Samuel posted on my page that "we have to come to Phoenix" (given the name of course :wink: )!! and later, I think like two years ago, wrote that funds are low, and that (getting to, and touring, in the States) is super expensive.

Hopefully with the success of the European tour they will be able to tour the USA and let us see them live too!!! (see it is all about me and my selfishness and jealously) :oops:

I am happy for all who see them, I just wanna hear "Let me Die a Woman" live, and of course "Sally" but actually I could go on and on and on....I wanna see them live!!!!!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Thank you all. I'd love to see them playing all the songs from their older albums and do some covers, but I'm happy I could see them at all! :heart:

And to give you some time to save money, get ready, Britain, for MAY! Not announced by the band yet, but some tickets are already on sale. Yeah, maybe after the success in Europe, they'll conquer the USA and the rest of the world! :D

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Well in less than a week you'll at least be hearing more material from their older albums! :D Thanks for posting the UK dates!

This interview on French TV cracked me up, especially with the animal sex quiz towards the end. Sam- "I dunno, I'm still thinking about the barnacle and how lucky Mrs. Barnacle is". Only on French TV. :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:49 am

Don't have much time to go into detail but TPF were amazing once again at The Borderline, London! We all had a blast and it was an absolute pleasure seeing them live for a longer set and hearing material from their earlier albums as well this time round! Naturally the group of us who went were gathered right at the front so we were up close to the band in the intimate venue that is The Borderline. The fact that it was their last gig of the tour definitely didn't show as they delivered on every song they performed! :supz: I'm sure Europe is already eagerly anticipating their return in a few months time. :D 8)

Here are a couple of videos I took:

&

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:37 am

Excellent videos, V.! And it was great to see you again and meet others for the first time! :D

Here are my photos:

Larger versions are on my flickr.

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Ooo, it's March 2nd! That means TPF are playing at the zoo here in 2 days time. Better hurry up and get my tix! :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Excellent vids again, Venus! Do you have any more, perhaps of older songs like Hitchcock or Gone Fishing?

emira! How come I didn't know you were going to be there?? :D Your pics are gorgeous! What kind of camera is that?

H, that show is going to be so cool! Can't wait to hear about it and see your pics. :) Are you bringing anyone along who's never heard PF?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:29 pm

:rock: Great videos, Venus! You were front and center! Was it a standing gig? I really like 40 Years. :heart:

Wow, emira. Those photo's are spectacular. The colors are so vibrant. :supz:

Maybe I missed it, Did you all get to meet the guys after?
Image..Image..Image

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Great H wrote:Ooo, it's March 2nd! That means TPF are playing at the zoo here in 2 days time. Better hurry up and get my tix! :D

They've just left Europe today. I hope they'll be in form at the zoo gig.

LauraK wrote:Excellent vids again, Venus! Do you have any more, perhaps of older songs like Hitchcock or Gone Fishing?

They didn't play these songs, but from older ones they played Cars of Eden and Nest Egg :heart:

In Hamburg, they played Slightest Shift in the Weather and it was beautiful. There are great videos on this YT channel.

emira! How come I didn't know you were going to be there?? :D Your pics are gorgeous! What kind of camera is that?

Thank you! :hug: I thought I'd mentioned I was going... Sorry, if I hadn't!

I use Nikon D60, standard lenses.

nonchalant obsession wrote:Was it a standing gig?

Yes, it was.

Wow, emira. Those photo's are spectacular. The colors are so vibrant. :supz:

Thank you! Yes, the colours were freaking me out, that's why there are only 5 photos from the gig. I just gave up on staring into the camera and setting it and decided to enjoy the show, which was amazing.

Maybe I missed it, Did you all get to meet the guys after?

Yep. It was Luke's birthday so I had to wish him "Sto lat" (which is like "Happy Birthday", but I was so excited that I forgot how it is in Polish and he had to remind me this :haha: )

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:48 am

It was great seeing you again, emira! I had so much fun hanging out with you all. :hug:

Thanks for the compliments on my videos, glad you enjoyed them! I did want to take more footage, especially the encore when they played Bright Grey and Nest Egg but I was really getting into the show and thought it'd be best just to soak it all in for a while. At first they were only going to play Bright Grey during the encore because of the curfew but they managed to squeeze in Nest Egg which perfectly ended the gig. The crowd was also singing along to the lyrics quite loudly at some points of the song and I think Sam was taken aback at one point. There was a girl just behind us and she was also very enthusiastic throughout the gig and she really wanted to hear Nest Egg so she shouted out for it during the encore and when she found out it was the last song they were singing, she screamed and got so excited! :lol: I saw kipples and biscuit talking to her briefly to reassure her that they were going to play the song and kipples high-fived her so yeah, that girl was pretty awesome! ;) And yes, I did get a talk to a few members of the band after the show. They were such gents as always! :D
&

Great H

Postby Great H » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Great H's big adventure at the zoo...
First up, mods you might need to grant me some creative license for this post! It IS about TPF though. No, really... Oh, and it's gonna be kinda long too. :blush:

Well tonight was the night I was finally going to get to see TPF play live. I missed out last time they played in Auckland (at The Powerstation, a brilliant little gig venue), cos I was too darn slow in buying my ticket and failed to get in before it was sold out. :cross: This time though, I was more organised and actually got my 'Zoo Music' ticket early. Wahoo! :cheer:

Anyways, the zoo gates were to open early, 5.30 for a 6pm start - first The Thomas Oliver Band in support, then Liam Finn, then The Phoenix Foundation - and I had been wondering how I would get there on time. Or at least early enough that I didn't have to drive half way across Auckland in order to find a parking space and then have to walk back, like I did last time I went to a Zoo Music gig! :doh: But the gods were on my side, it seemed, as the boss decided to give everyone a half day off today as a thank you for working extra hard on the latest issue of the magazine I work for - just sent to the printer last night. It featured Chch earthquake stories, so everyone was physically and/or emotionally wrung out and the offer of time off was really appreciated by all. Not least of all by me because it meant I could get to the zoo early and get a good spot! :lol:

Also, the ticket I had in my hot little hand gave me free entry into the zoo during the day to see the animals. Wahey! Bonus! So, with time now in hand, I went to the zoo about 2pm and had a wander around checking out all the cute little (and not so little) furry (and not so furry) things. (LOVE the otters :heart: !). Naturally I scoped out the band rotunda area where I saw Liam Finn doing his sound check, and later as I wandered about I heard the TPF doing theirs and the opening strains of 'Pot'. I was a very happy bunny.

This is the rotunda area where the bands would be playing - on the left is the ostriches and the fenced area on the right housed this little cutie... I called out 'here puss puss puss' (as you do!) and he looked straight at me. :shock:

Also saw this guy: He's a tuatara, an NZ native like me, only he's the closest living relative to the dinosaurs. Very cool 8)

That left me with just enough time to go check out the sea lions flipping gracefully about...

And by then it was 5pm and staff came around to kick us all out as the zoo was shutting for the day... Only to reopen it again half an hour later for the gig. :puzzled: No matter, it gave me time to zip to my car and collect a small fold-up chair from the boot (thats the trunk, for those of you that don't speak kiwi...) and get back in time to be at the front of the queue to get back in and secure a good spot. YAY! Here's what the area looked like with the crowds starting to arrive for the show - the sun is out and it's unbelievably hot, lots of picnic baskets about and glasses of wine bought at the bar at the side. Lovely. That's The Thomas Oliver band playing - they were very good, I'm gonna have to go check them out again. :rock:

Then Liam Finn came on and I have to say he really impressed - Though my pics don't show it, he's just stuffed full of personality and energy. :supz: He's gained a fan in me! :nod: Alas, it started to rain and out came the umbrellas - I'm peeking out from under the brim of my black brolly there and my knees are getting VERY wet! :lol:

Note the seagull sitting on the top of the rotunda - he's having a laugh at us. They only seem to come further 'inland' when the weather is really crap out at sea, so the fact he was up there in the first photo too should've been a bit of a warning - Oh well. :?

Then...
it started raining STUPIDLY hard - everybody is completely saturated and plenty of people left, but there comes a point where you can't get any more wet so what does it matter eh?! :dunno: Those of us that remained were having a blast bopping around in the rain!
:whitey: :yay:
Oh, and Tim Finn was standing about 2 foot behind me, watching the show! :o

Ok, so about now you're probably thinking to yourself: "Well Great H, that's all very nice, but what about The Phoenix Foundation? Enough of the cute animals and the pics of TTOB and Liam Finn, where are the TPF pics?"

Alas, I don't have any. :( It was at about this point that someone came on stage and said that for 'Health and Safety" reasons, the rest of the show was going to be cancelled. :que: Something about the rain and the equipment in the rotunda becoming extremely wet, and not wanting the boys to be electrocuted... :roll: :|

So... yet again Great H fails to see TPF play live. :tears:
But at least I as a TPF ticket holder, get free entry into the zoo for the rest of the month as a consolation! :worry:

And that, dear WTFers, was my great adventure at the zoo... :rolleyes:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Ah The Zoo Story. I still think it's hilarious to play at a zoo, so thanks for that. :clap:

I love "Puss" and the tuatara.

Suckage about the rain. Did they reschedule? I once trekked to the hellhole that is Washington DC (the only place I've ever heard gunshots) for an outdoor music festival. It started out hot and sunny and within a couple of hours a huge storm developed, lightning struck someone in the audience and the whole thing was canceled. :?

Liam Finn's great isn't he? He's quite an intense & compelling little powerhouse onstage.
90% evil
ImageImage

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Great H wrote:Ok, so about now you're probably thinking to yourself: "Well Great H, that's all very nice, but what about The Phoenix Foundation? Enough of the cute animals and the pics of TTOB and Liam Finn, where are the TPF pics?"

Alas, I don't have any. :( It was at about this point that someone came on stage and said that for 'Health and Safety" reasons, the rest of the show was going to be cancelled. :que: Something about the rain and the equipment in the rotunda becoming extremely wet, and not wanting the boys to be electrocuted... :roll: :|

So... yet again Great H fails to see TPF play live. :tears:
But at least I as a TPF ticket holder, get free entry into the zoo for the rest of the month as a consolation! :worry:

And that, dear WTFers, was my great adventure at the zoo... :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that, Great H :( :goodman: I hope you'll have a chance to see them in a small intimate venue very soon. :hug: Or you can always come to Europe in May! ;)

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”