2011 Oscars

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: 2011 Oscars

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:15 am

The movie that made me not like him was Reservation Road.
Okay, I still don't find him the least bit cuddly, but I'll give him props for the personal crappy stuff. No one deserves going through stuff like that.
Okay, Mark, your fans have made me aware - I'll give you a chance.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:15 am

If you ever have been in an Oscar pool, your downfall can often be the short films. If you get the chance in the next couple of weeks, I would recommend going to see the animated shorts. Here's an article describing each one, both animated and live action:

See and enjoy all the Oscar short-film nominees in Providence

01:00 AM EST on Friday, February 11, 2011

By Michael Janusonis

Journal Arts Writer
I’ve just seen all 10 of the short films nominated for an Academy Award this year and I’m glad I’m not voting.

Choosing one film from the five live-action shorts and one from the five animated shorts would be almost impossible. Just about every one of them is worthy of an Oscar statuette.

You can judge them all for yourself beginning Friday, Feb. 11, at the Cable Car Cinema where all 10 will be on screen (although separately in live-action or animation programs). It’s not often that the public gets a chance to see the short-film Academy Award nominees, so go, enjoy and then see how your favorites come out when the awards are announced Feb. 27. The shorts run between 8 and 15 minutes in length.

Actually, many of you have already seen “Day and Night,” the whimsical film that personifies both Daytime and Nighttime and pits them against each other in a tug of war over control of every 24-hour cycle. It was shown at the start of “Toy Story 3.”

Quite different is the pointed political satire “Let’s Pollute” which turns the “green” bandwagon on its head. Bold graphics are employed as everyone is urged, ironically, to make a mess of the planet by filling up landfills and buying into the corporate mantra of “buy more; throw away more.” The underlying message, of course, is quite the opposite, although it may be more true than those “going green” slogans.

At the other end of the spectrum, both in theme and artistry, is Bastien Duboir’s “Madagascar — A Journey Diary.” Done in a variety of styles — watercolors, pen and ink, rotoscope — the film follows a tourist who has been invited to a far-off village festival called “the turning of the dead people,” which celebrates the departed. The drawings, especially the panoramas of landscapes, are gorgeous.

“The Gruffalo” is a charming computer-animated fairy tale in which a mother squirrel tells her two youngsters a continuing fable about a mouse and how it cleverly outsmarts one predator after the next — a fox, an owl, a snake — by telling each in turn that it is waiting to meet the Gruffalo, a fearsome creature whose favorite food is fox, owl or snake, depending on which is hearing the mouse’s story. Of course the mouse realizes that there is no such thing as a Gruffalo until … yipes!

Then there’s the offbeat, truly inventive “The Lost Thing,” in which a young man finds a “lost thing” on the beach and, taking pity on it, tries to get it back to its rightful place. The thing looks like a giant red boiler, but with a lot of little doors from which slithering tentacles occasionally emerge. There’s also something on it that looks like a whirling fan and odd appendages that sort of look like wings, but with little bells hanging from their bottoms. Strangely, the creature becomes a sympathetic figure and we empathize with the young man as he dauntlessly tries to find it a home.

The live-action category offers an equally divergent array of subjects. In “The Confession,” young Sam and Jacob are fretting about what sin they could come up with that would be worthy of telling when making their first confession. But then they commit a prank that involves a scarecrow and the resulting horrific tragedy certainly is confession worthy, but dare they confess their bad deed to the parish priest in the confessional? This is an explosive little drama that packs a punch.

In the Irish-made “The Crush,” a 9-year-old boy who has a crush on his teacher feels crushed when he discovers that she has a boyfriend. His way of rectifying this unwelcome situation, involving a gun, is tense and hold-your-breath scary, with unexpected results.

Possibly even more unexpected are what happens in the quirky “God of Love.” Luke Matheny, who wrote and directed, also stars as Raymond Goodfellow, who sings in nightclubs while tossing darts into a dartboard without missing a beat. He has a crush on a member of the band, but she’s interested in his best friend, who isn’t interested in her at all. Raymond gets his chance for love when a box arrives out of the blue containing a set of Love Darts. Hit someone with one and that person falls in love with the person who tossed the dart, but only for six hours unless the flame can be kept burning. This cupid-themed film seems perfect for Valentine’s Day.

On a totally different plane is the tension-packed Belgian film “No Wewe.” Set in the African nation of Burundi in 1994 at the height of the civil war between the Hutu and Tutsi tribes, a group of travelers in a van are stopped by a gang of gun-wielding Hutus. They are forced out and told to declare whether they are Hutus or Tutsis. Being a Tutsi can end very badly. A sort of standoff ensues and in the end the travelers one by one try to get out of the web, until it comes down to one boy. It seems as though he will be killed unless unexpected events can save his life.

In “Wish 143,” a young man with a brain tumor is offered by a representative of Make-A-Wish to have his wish fulfilled. But David’s wish is to lose his virginity. How this is accomplished — or not — and with the help of the parish priest, is told with haunting poignancy and some humor.
****Oscar Nominated Short Films 2011

Rated: Not rated; the live-action program contains violence, adult themes, profanity.

Running time: 1:40 for live action; 1:05 for animation.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:52 pm

I finally saw Black Swan- and I loved it! I knew what was going on for the most part....that she was so repressed that she was having these hallucinations/waking dreams to work out what she desperately needed. When Nina brought Lily home, I knew she wasn't really there...and that the board on the floor would still be in place in the morning. I also saw a lot of the mother/daughter mind-f#ck that was in Carrie. :) You can tell her Mom loves her but man...did she ever mess her head up!
I thought the body she stabbed would turn out to be her mother's (as someone else here said) and I also thought she might jump off the wrong side and actually commit suicide onstage at the end. This was before we saw that she'd stabbed herself. So she died happy knowing that she performed perfectly and had won the love and respect of all, however fleetingly.

I have some questions: Did that whole face-stabbing thing with Beth actually happen the way Nina saw it? Or did Nina go there and stab her? Because they went out of their way to show Nina drop the bloody file as she got into the elevator. Or was it just another hallucination? If not, it's a shame there wasn't an aftermath shown...."Ballerina kills predecessor and then herself after stunning opening night!" :lol:

I know...it's probably completely subjective. And I'm talking out my a$$ cuz I just saw it and it's fresh in my mind, lol.

It was a good psychological drama/thriller and I was definitely entertained. And not too squicked, lol...I didn't find it too bloody or hard to look at. I was expecting stuff like we saw in The Fly, lol!

I thought she did a great job.....I thought the cinematography was brilliant and showed how she likely felt most of the time- pursued and paranoid.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Feel like trimming your nails, Laura? :)

I'm still not entirely convinced that Lily even existed. I think she may have been a figment of Nina's very fractured mind. The girl conjured up enough other stuff that wasn't there.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Oh, I think she was there...and that the director (or whatever you call him) made her Nina's alternate and all that...she was a big part of the catalyst for Nina finally "feeling" things. I thought Lily really came to her place and they went out to the bar and did whatever that drug was...but that the cab ride and the bedroom encounter never happened. But that's just my subjective take on it. :)

It really does make you wonder about it a lot though. There were times that I felt her entire life felt like a production of some sort....not real.

And now that you mention Lily...what about some of the stuff with the director? Did he really take her aside and kiss her and tell he he'd already chosen the other girl? Or was that just what she expected would happen, so she imagined it and it then became real to her...thus her congratulating the other girl and royally pissing her of? :lol:

BUT....we see characters interacting with Lily and we saw the director tell Nina he'd like to see the same kind of bite she'd shown him earlier...making those scenes real.

I think if we go down that road, we almost have to wonder if the entire thing happened within her own mind and she's possibly in a mental ward somewhere!

I like when a movie makes you think about it for a long time. :)
ImageImage

eejm

Postby eejm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:34 am

Lily didn't appear until Nina already began to see some strange things. Lily also interacted almost (but not entirely) exclusively with Nina too. However, whenever Lily was shown dancing or speaking with others, she was doing something Nina wished she could do or was being told she should be doing while Nina was watching. That made me think Lily was just a projection of what Nina wishes she could be - she feels so incomplete that she created a completely different person in her mind that could and did fulfill what she couldn't.

Also - Lily had that HUGE back tattoo. I can't imagine any company would ever let ballerina perform with that tattoo since it couldn't be hidden. :wtf:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:27 am

Hmmm....you make a very good argument. I did wonder about that tattoo and whether she'd have to cover it with makeup- and I loved when the wings were crinkling and moving when she danced, as well as all of the snapping and feather-growing noises Nina got near the end when she actually sprouted her black wings. The sounds were amazing! I loved seeing her becoming the black swan and then seeing the audience's pov where she's just Nina in black swan costume. 8)

Hm. It's a bit Inception-like, where you wonder which parts were real and which were dreams. :) How much of her strange interactions with her Mom, the director, Beth, etc were real and how much were her projections??

I think I very much want to see it again. :)
ImageImage

Peripeteia

Postby Peripeteia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:42 am

Thank you for your Oscar reviews of Black Swan!! Still haven't seen it but I have no problem viewing spoilers lol...I need to know...NOW! You girls have made this movie more enticing than ever. Looking forward to the big show this Sunday! Thanks!
Height of rudeness....

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:00 am

Do you think you'll see it before Sunday? As you can tell, I got a lot more out of it than I expected. :) I'd defiinitely recommend it. Hope you enjoy it too, Peri! :D

I thought I'd be ok with the others I missed but now I'm wondering if there's a way I can see 127 Hours and The Fighter by Sunday.....hmmmm....website I watch Dexter and True Blood on, here I come, lol!
ImageImage

eejm

Postby eejm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:13 am

LauraK wrote:I thought I'd be ok with the others I missed but now I'm wondering if there's a way I can see 127 Hours and The Fighter by Sunday.....hmmmm....website I watch Dexter and True Blood on, here I come, lol!

Same here, Laura. 127 Hours doesn't seem to be playing around here anymore, and I haven't made it to True Grit yet either. :(

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:27 am

True Grit was sooooo good! Tom and I watched the original last week and enjoyed it- but I do prefer the remake. I really hope Hailee wins Best Supp. Actress. :)

Hmmm, lookie here:

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/movi ... &sa=Search
http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/movi ... &sa=Search
:whistle:

I haven't checked to see if they're good to go....later! :)

Oh! After you do see True Grit, you must watch what Josh Brolin and Guillermo did on Jimmy Kimmel. I about peed my pants! :lol:
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Cool. :supz: I never thought to look for movies on that site as I just use it for TV shows.
90% evil
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:20 am

So, are they streaming it online this year? Because I was going to take the train down to Los Angeles to go to this Oscar viewing party/drink-a-long just for fun but if they're streaming it online, I might save myself the trip.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:09 pm

vmh wrote:So, are they streaming it online this year? Because I was going to take the train down to Los Angeles to go to this Oscar viewing party/drink-a-long just for fun but if they're streaming it online, I might save myself the trip.

I don't have tv/cable so I've been hunting around for a live stream. I've never missed the oscars. I came across this link http://www.livestream.com. I'm already at the site. There's some fun stuff there now.

We'll see what happens, the site is usually pretty reliable I've watched other events there before. Sometimes there are hiccups. For me it's better than not seeing it until tomorrow when the entire show will be available online. By then the results are all over the news.

I love the red carpet, can't wait! Who doesn't love the fashion police? Fun times.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks! I'll be tuning in pretty soon. A local cineplex has this contest going on for 20 free movie passes. Whoever correctly guesses the winners from each category wins them, or whoever correctly guesses the most. So I want to watch to see how many I got right. I'm positive that The King's Speech will win Best Picture and Natalie Portman will win Best Actress. I think I also voted for Exit Through The Gift Shop as Best Documentary and The Social Network for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Anyone else have any last minute Oscar winner hunches?
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Return to “Off topic rambles”