2011 Oscars

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: 2011 Oscars

Postby LauraK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:51 pm

I hope Christian Bale's growing that crazy-Joaquin beard for a role.......and Jeff Bridges? You could shave any time, Dude. ;)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm

I respect Helena too. She's beautiful, she does her own thing and I have no problem with it.

I agree about Camila. When she hosted that hairstyle show on Bravo I couldn't believe she had been a model because I didn't find her attractive in any way but I certainly took notice of her last night. The hair isn't great but somehow she made that kind of ho hum dress stand out.

Now that Nonch said Baywatch it's all I can see - damn, Pamela Anderson :lol: Jennifer's face and body are so perfect she can just do whatever she wants probably. She even looked good all beat up in Winter's Bone. And somehow, despite the cheesy hairstyle & potential sluttiness of the dress I think she manages to look good. That hair and dress would be deadly on so many people.
90% evil
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:00 pm

I liked Scarlett Johansson's dress minus the lace. Lace just makes everything look bad, IMO. I really like the color on her though-it's almost the same color as Natalie's dress.

I think Jennifer Lawrence is a really pretty girl but I think her dress is a bit plain. Calvin Klein was the wrong designer to go with, I think, because all of their dresses look like that. It's too simple. But she did look really comfortable.

I hate everything about Jennifer Hudson's dress. The material makes it look like something a teenage girl would wear to her quinceanera.

I didn't really care for Gwyneth's either. I wish more people would shy away from all the pale pinks, silvers, nudes, etc. (unless it's a really amazing dress).

But the worst dressed for me was Sharon Stone.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Sharon Stone's dress isn't even so bad, but the "wall of hair" is a look that deserved to die with the '80s. ;)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Yeah I don't mind Sharon's dress at all even though I'm normally not a lover of black on the red carpet. The hair is ridunkulous.

As for Scarlet's dress if it had no lace it would cease to be a dress :lol: I don't think lace is necessarily bad, it depends on the dress.
Last edited by SheWolf on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:19 pm

I agree about Sharon Stone. The dress isn't bad, but the make up and hair are awful. She's channeling Cruella De Ville.

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:31 pm

LauraK wrote:I hope Christian Bale's growing that crazy-Joaquin beard for a role

I think he is, but I don't remember what for. He looked very Hippy Jesus at the Golden Globes.

I wish Colin Firth would have given into his "impulses" and danced onstage after getting his award. He looked like he was saying to himself, "Do not lose your sh**. I repeat, DO NOT LOSE YOUR SH**" during his entire speech. I know I'd feel that way!

I liked Jake Gyllenhaal's promotion of short films. The short film winner (the guy who said he should have gotten a haircut) was fun too.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Rocking the red beard that doesn't match the hair on your head is so weird. Michael C. Hall did that at the Emmys.

I didn't listen to anyone's speeches except Melissa Leo and I turned the channel when Natalie Portman thanked her parents for her life. :roll: :lol: Just say thank you, be witty and get the frig off the stage people. Oh and I saw that older dude who said his dad said he would be a late bloomer - good stuff.
90% evil
ImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:53 pm

I think the big awards are allowed to gush a little bit. Who knows when they'll be up there again?

I'm sorry I missed Melissa Leo, I loved her from Homicide. Other than that, I only caught the last couple of awards, had a nice fresh episode of My Fair Wedding to watch. And you know what? Bet my evening was better than yours. :D
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 pm

I agree...but at least prepare a bit. :) She must have said "um" 50 times.

I thought the old dude w/ the late bloomer comment, Luke Matheny, Colin Firth,and Randy Newman gave the best speeches.
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Despite the hair and makeup, I still don't like Sharon Stone's dress. The feather thing and the tie right above the knee are really bugging me.

LauraK wrote:I agree...but at least prepare a bit. :) She must have said "um" 50 times.

I'm sure she did but it's probably quite easy to forget what you planned to say once your name is called and you have to go on stage to accept the award and give a speech. I think she did fine. I would have left out the part about her parents teaching her to be a "good human being" though. It's a little pretentious.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

:lol:
Yeah, my parents skipped that in my upbringing....it's why I trip old people and take candy from children.
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 pm

tee hee, i love snark.

I thought it was a little arrogant because Natalie was implying that she herself is a good person. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm sure she is, but you don't need to announce it to the world when you're accepting your Oscar. For a minute I thought her boyfriend was going to come onstage with her & she was going to talk again about how he wants to have sex with her. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Carson Kressley is on Oprah and he not only loved the same dresses I did, he also said Mila looked ethereal!

I think he's been visiting this board...... :worry:

:lol:

I understand people getting onstage and getting flustered. I know I'd probably get up there and blank! I'd def have a little piece of paper w/ first names of peeps to thank....little reminder words or something.
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 am

I loved reading all your fashion police comments.
I guess I'm the only one who thought Jennifer Hudson looked great. :sofa:
Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis topped my faves. I missed the beautiful colors of the Golden Globes. Too many chose skin-colored, or silvery - eh.
Jennifer Lawrence rocked that gown, simple as it was.
Amy Adams would have looked great, but she messed up her look with that necklace - it got in the way of a beautiful dress, didn't go with the neckline.

I had no idea that Melissa Leo was the same actress that was on Homicide! I loved her!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”