Another big earthquake in Christchurch...and Elsewhere

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: Another big earthquake in Christchurch

Postby mockingbird » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

vmh wrote:Bret's not the one auctioning off the item though. That guy, Gareth, purchased it at another fundraiser in 2009 and has decided to part with it to raise money for the earthquake relief fund. So I guess, good for Gareth!

Oh. Well, yes, good for Gareth! :thumb: And come on guys, step up. ;)

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:15 am

I'm seeing breaking news bulletins of a 7.9 earthquake in Northern Japan - no details yet - that's BIG though.

What the **** is going on around the Pacific 'ring of fire'?

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 am

It's the supermoon!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20110310/ ... ldisasters

:dunno: Who knows? I'm looking forward to seeing the huge moon though. :thumb:

I see via Google that there are no reports of injuries so far... a tsunami warning has been issued though.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:29 am

It ended up being an 8.9! :shock: Thoughts and prayers are with all those affected. How terrible - it's bad enough to go through an earthquake, but follow it up with a tsunami? Just horrifying.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:10 am

I was up from 2:30 am til about 4 Thursday night watching news about it, and seeing that awful tsunami coming in. It was like something from a movie. Unbelievably horrible.

We've just been watching Wolf Blitzer grill the Japanese Ambassador about the nuclear plant. He says they're working on it themselves, they're doing all they can to cool it down using seawater and some sort of acid and that the explosion was an outer building....nothing to do with the reactor.

:?

I smell a coverup.

Why isn't an explanation being given for the explosion? If it was an outer building, what did it house and why did it blow up the way that it did??

They already reported that some people at nearby hospitals ( near to the reactor, that is) were tested for radiation and came up pos.

If I were them I'd be on tv and internet yelling "Help Us! US, Russia, Australia- whomever has nuclear plant knowledge- feel free to offer ideas and help!" Any help they can get at this point to stop a meltdown or a worsening of what's already happened should be welcomed.

There are 4 other plants that had declared emergency status as well. I haven't heard much more about them.

This whole thing is just mind-boggling. So many people. No electricity- and it's freezing. No fresh water, no more food. How will they get to them to rescue the trapped ones?

UGH.

I think every country with aircraft carriers needs to mobilize and get helicopters onto those carriers along with water, food, blankets, basic clothing, and medicines and get on the way to Japan! Then the copters can start going to the innnermost areas that are hardest hit and hardest to get to and at least make drops of supplies to help keep alive those who are right now. Also, drop in search and rescue crews and dogs.

Such a huge undertaking. This is more massive than we've ever seen before.

I pray for those people...as I'm still praying for those in Christchurch.

I read somewhere on the 'net that the earthquake C'Church suffered last year was a precursor to one in Japan, and that their recent one was a precursor to this one.
Don't know that there's any truth to that, but like you say, H, it's the ring of fire and the plates are on the move, so.......
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:25 am

I'm very worried too, Laura. I'm also grateful Amy didn't get the job singing in Japan. It was a tour going all over Japan, so God knows where she might have been when everything hit.

I'm now very worried about her being in LA, though. There have now been two big, bad ones. I truly believe in bad things coming in threes, and I pray it's not LA that gets hit next. :pray:

One thing that was nice was Obama mentioning NZ when speaking of the Japanese quake in Friday's press conference. It was as if he didn't want people to forget about Christchurch.

I pray for them all.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Agreed. That ring of fire is certainly active now....another could happen anywhere out there. It's so scary. I hope that big one released tension and there won't be a third....
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Me too. Enough with the earthquakes, already! :hammer:
I noticed that Lady Gaga has rubber bracelets to honor those affected by the earthquake in Japan. That's all well and good, but where are the luminaries putting things out for Christchurch, hit with its second??
Granted, the t-shirts are great, but people need a name to bring attention to the devastation in NZ. It's the way of the world, unfortunately. Wow, I'm sounding cynical today. I guess I just want the poor NZ folks affected by Christchurch not to be forgotten because of the newly-designated 9.0 quake in Japan. 9.0 - 9.0! My God!!! :shock:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Great H

Postby Great H » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm just pleased NZ was able to send a disaster search/rescue team to them, as they so graciously came to help us so very quickly - of course we can't send as many people as we probably normally would as Chch is still being dealt with. :(

I have to ask though, Japan is known to be one of the shakiest places in the world (even more so than NZ) - what the heck were they thinking building nuclear reactors?! I am SO glad NZ is nuclear free, and likely to stay that way. I'm just praying it doesn't cause long-term problems over there. It's so awful to see.

Mods maybe we should change the title of this thread to just 'Another big earthquake' - or add Japan, to the end

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:05 am

Yes! I'm almost in a fight at another board over that very opinion! The odds of a big quake followed by a tsunami were pretty high. Were nuclear plants that close to the shore a good idea??

:(
ImageImage

Great H

Postby Great H » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 am

The fact they have them at all is what concerns me, nevermind being close to the shore - over the course of time I reckon it'd be almost a forgone conclusion that one would eventually be damaged in an earthquake. But maybe they have/had plans in place for that eventuality? :dunno: Hope so. I say, if you're gonna build one of those things (and personally I'd really rather you didn't!) let it be on solid, stable land, and not in an earthquake, tsunami or hurricane prone area! Oh I hope they're OK.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:26 am

That's just it- after the quake, the backups of diesel generators that were in place were working- then the tsunami came in and knocked them out. You'd think they'd have even more backups, but from what we've been hearing, it doesn't sound like they did. It was one thing after another just trying to cool down the reactor to the last-ditch effort of using seawater.

I agree- I wish there weren't so many but there are way more than I even imagined and when there's a disaster, it's so much more worse than a disaster at another type of power company. :-/

I hope experts from around the world can come up with something to avert a worsening and save more lives.
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:23 pm

This is just terrible in Japan, it keeps getting worse and worse. Now the reactor has exploded and they've ordered people within a 20 mile radius to stay indoors. :| :cry: I'm sure that will do them about as much good as hiding under your desk in case of a nuclear bomb. Probably some of them don't even have four walls to enclose them. :(

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Another big earthquake in Christchurch...and Elsewhere

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:04 am

Since the discussion of the quake in Christchurch evolved into the devastation in Japan, I've edited the name of the thread to include both terrible events...and God forbid, those in the future.

I just cannot imagine going through all that those poor people have dealt with this week.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Another big earthquake in Christchurch...and Elsewhere

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:12 am

I just got a message about where to legitimately give to help the people in Japan:

"The devastation in Japan is simply horrific. The death toll is rising by the hour. Tens of thousands remain missing, more than 450,000 people have been displaced, and millions lack access to food, water, electricity, and medicine.1

And as rescue and relief workers struggle to operate around the clock, Japan must also contend with partial meltdowns and the escalating risk of an even worse catastrophe at several nuclear reactors.

Right now the people of Japan are in crisis, their resources are stretched thin, and they need our help. Many organizations are already on the ground providing relief, including Doctors Without Borders and the Red Cross. You can provide immediate assistance by donating to help fund the emergency response:

Doctors Without Borders is sending highly trained teams of doctors into the hardest-hit and most difficult-to-reach regions of Japan. (Note: Doctors Without Borders is not accepting contributions "earmarked" for Japan, but rather drawing from general support to enable their important response work there.) Donate here:
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=206962&id=265 ... j6GDcx&t=1

The Red Cross operates 92 hospitals in Japan and has deployed 700 medical relief volunteers across the country already. Donate here:
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=206960&id=265 ... j6GDcx&t=2

Thanks for all you do."
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”