Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: Your Favorite Recipes!

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:47 am

I'm not much of a baker either. That's why cake in a box is my friend. I'd like to make Conchords themed ones.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:56 am

SuzyBatt wrote:Hey, anyone have good Irish recipes they can recommend. I want to do something for St.Patrick's but am not sure where to start. Corned beef?

So, the St.Paddy's Day 'feast' is tomorrow night (can't really manage a feast on a Thursday). Here's the menu:
Kale & bacon served with Irish soda bread (might make a crostini out of it, as a bow to my Italian heritage)
Irish stew with Guiness, served with a side of buttered cabbage
Whiskey ice cream with pistachio shortbread cookies

:D

I made the ice cream and cookie dough tonight. Both seem like they'll be really yummy (haven't frozen the ice cream yet). I hope the rest turns out well. But it's all very simple.

I'll try to let you know how things went, and share recipes if anyone's interested.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Homemade ice cream?? Mmmmm, that sounds wonderful.

I'd love the recipe for that and the Irish Stew...I've never made either. (I also don't have an ice cream machine...)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Yup, homemade ice cream. :) We bought an ice cream maker about ten years ago and use it all the time - more in summer than winter, of course. We have a great little Italian cookbook on how to make gelato (hubby uses it, and he doesn't even really read Italian :lol: ). Making your own ice cream makes the store bought kind taste... different :? Oh, and the whiskey ice cream was pretty tasty.

Everything turned out really well. I was most impressed by the soda bread, which literally took one hour to put together - from raw ingredients to baked bread. No kneeding and no rising!

Laura, the stew was also really good. I found the recipe here. I didn't use pancetta, just regular unsmoked slab bacon. And I used goat cheese instead of gorgonzola. It's fine without the cheese too, but that little bit of tang worked quite nicely. The lamb was sooooo tender. Mmmm.

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Oooh, I'd like the whiskey ice cream! We don't have an ice cream maker, though. BIL and SIL have one, but the sticks are probably too far up their butts to let us use it. :D

Return to “Off topic rambles”