What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Venus
 Post subject: Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 am 
She did indeed have the time of her life

After The Dominion Post's article stating that Peter Jackson approached Bret to star in The Hobbit, it has now been confirmed by Variety that Bret will feature in the film:

Quote:
'Conchords' star McKenzie an elf in 'The Hobbit'
"Flight of the Conchords" star Bret McKenzie will play Lindir, an Elf of Rivendell
By Dave McNary

"Flight of the Conchords" star Bret McKenzie has joined the cast of "The Hobbit," which began shooting March 21.

New Zealand-based McKenzie made brief appearances as an extra in the first and third "Lord of the Rings" pics in which he achieved fan fame on the Internet with the fan-created nickname "Figwit." He's playing Lindir, an Elf of Rivendell, in "The Hobbit."

McKenzie and fellow New Zealander Jermaine Clement formed the comedy-music duo Flight of the Conchords in 1998, leading to a BBC radio series and an HBO series.

Producer-director Peter Jackson is shooting the two films in New Zealand in 3D over the next 14 months at Stone Street Studios in Wellington and on location around the country. "Hobbit" cast includes Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Andy Serkis, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Cate Blanchett reprising their roles from "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

J.R.R. Tolkien novel's set 60 years before "Lord of the Rings" with Bilbo the unassuming Hobbit who becomes a hero by obtaining a powerful ring in the face of challenges by the wicked Gollum and a dragon named Smaug.

New Line parent Warner Bros. reached a deal in January to handle worldwide distribution on "The Hobbit," taking over most international distribution and homevideo on the two films from MGM in exchange for funding MGM's half of the production costs. The "Hobbit" pics are aimed for release in late 2012 and late 2013.

Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing, with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner as exec producers. Walsh, Boyens, del Toro and Jackson penned the screenplays.

Source

:D

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

mockingbird
 Post subject: Re: Figwit
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 am 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

:o No way! :roll2:

Venus
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:27 am 

Haha, I know!

Some more info from indieWIRE about Lindir:

Quote:
‘Flight Of The Conchords’ Star Bret McKenzie Joins ‘The Hobbit’ As Lindir

It looks like Bret McKenzie is getting ready to head back to Middle Earth but not as Figwit, as his character was dubbed—after a fan said “Frodo is great ... who is that?”—following his fleeting appearance in “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.” He later appeared again, ever so briefly, in “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.” As was reported last week, McKenzie was being sought out to return to the franchise and it looks like everything is signed sealed and delivered, but he won’t be a Figwit this time around.

Say hello to your new Lindir, an elf of Rivendell and the latest character to join “The Hobbit.” He’s a very, very minor player in the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, a minstrel or musician of sorts who encounters Bilbo Baggins in “The Fellowship of the Ring” who sings to him his song of Eärendil, with Lindir unable to decipher which parts Bilbo or Aragon wrote (thank you internet).

But of course, Peter Jackson is expanding the realm of “The Hobbit” for his upcoming two-fer of films so it will remain to be seen how big (or not) McKenzie’s role is. But as the former star of “Flight Of The Conchords” playing a musician should be no sweat.

The year plus long shoot is currently underway with the first entry in “The Hobbit” expected to land in December 2012. And we’d wager there are more characters who will be announced along the way

Source

MinorMajorStalker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 am 
Half a shapely halibut

:supz: I wonder if he'll loook much different from Figwit...

mockingbird
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 am 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Quote:
who sings to him his song of Eärendil

Oh please please please let Bret write a song of Earendil. :pray: :roll2:

LauraK
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:16 am 
Boom King!

"I was walking the streets of Lothlorien, rambling through the avenues of time....." :lol:

Exciting! I can't wait to see how he'll look- you'd think they'll make him look different from Figwit. Ohhh....can you imagine him blond??

Hm, maybe they'll need a burly, bearded Kiwi to play a dwarf....one who has some experience already.....

(and if they write about it, perhaps they'll spell his name correctly...) :hrmpf:

eorious
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 am 
Consistently Mediocre

mockingbird wrote:
Quote:
who sings to him his song of Eärendil

Oh please please please let Bret write a song of Earendil. :pray: :roll2:

Well actually (and here my Tolkien geekiness shines through) :geek: it is Bilbo who chants the tale of Eärendil to Lindir, and it's in The Fellowship of the Ring, not The Hobbit. Lindir isn't mentioned at all in The Hobbit. But I certainly won't mind if Peter Jackson takes some liberties and uses that scene and has Lindir do the singing instead. The tale of Eärendil is beautiful and romantic in a melancholy sort of way and I'm getting so excited right now just thinking about Bret singing it...

Lindir means either "singer" or "singing watcher", depending on which of my Sindarin dictionaries I look at.
Yes I have more than one.... :geek:

eorious
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 am 
Consistently Mediocre

Link to the Song of Earendil, as written by Bilbo.

edited to add: Eärendil was the father of Elrond.

nonchalant obsession
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 pm 
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

:biggrin: I am astonished, delighted and ever so slightly smug at the materialization of what seemed a dubious dream back in October. :lol: :biggrin: This is wonderful. Just wonderful!

Lindir!!! :heart: :supz: :heart: :rock: :heart: Oh yes, I wonder what Lindir looks like? Does the book describe him? Bret looked delicious in the blonde wig in the FotC Frodo video. I could deal with it. :D

:prayer: Oh wise eorious....teach us the Tolkien ways. :D Seriously. I love the info. A minstrel! Lot's of potential with that. :whitey: What instruments did the LotR minstrels use? Of course now I'm imagining a flute, a page boy haircut, green tights and those pointy boots. :eh: :roll2:

Nancy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

Was it a lute he strummed? That would seem like a good fit for Figwit, er Lindir. :rock:
I just checked out the lovely Song Of Earendil, and i have to say it totally lends itself to a simple melody. I literally sang one as I read the lyrics. :sing:

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:21 pm 
Boom King!

Thta's a very long song.....I hope they don't shorten it too much. :D

Thanks for all the info eorious! I've only read the Hobbit once- a long time ago- and the names were not familiar to me!

nonchalant obsession
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 pm 
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

This blurb has Lindir's bit from the book.

Quote:
The Dominion Post had an article about Bret McKenzie’s (Figwit) involvement with The Hobbit last week, and Variety has confirmed it. Bret will play the elf of Rivendell, Lindir. You might say, “Who?” Well, if you recall your the ‘Many Meetings’ chapter of The Fellowship of the Ring, Lindir is one of the elves who enjoys Bilbo’s song so much, he asks for a second hearing…

`Now we had better have it again,’ said an Elf. Bilbo got up and bowed. `I am flattered, Lindir,’ he said. ‘But it would be too tiring to repeat it all.’ ‘Not too tiring for you,’ the Elves answered laughing. ‘You know you are never tired of reciting your own verses. But really we cannot answer your question at one hearing!’

`What!’ cried Bilbo. ‘You can’t tell which parts were mine, and which were the Dunadan’s?’

‘It is not easy for us to tell the difference between two mortals’ said the Elf.

‘Nonsense, Lindir,’ snorted Bilbo. ‘If you can’t distinguish between a Man and a Hobbit, your judgement is poorer than I imagined. They’re as different as peas and apples.’

‘Maybe. To sheep other sheep no doubt appear different,’ laughed Lindir. `Or to shepherds. But Mortals have not been our study. We have other business.’

It’s pretty nice to finally have an official character name associated with Bret’s character, but I think we are going to always lovingly call him Figwit.

Source

Again....with the sheep! :purple:

"...but I think we are going to always lovingly call him Figwit." :heart: Oh yes. :heart: I really do wonder if it was a conscious decision to choose an elf that was a musician.

eorious
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:52 pm 
Consistently Mediocre

LOL, well we really are a pair of geeks here in the eorious household -- I hadn't discovered the news about Bret's new elven role until after my boyfriend was already asleep last night so I couldn't share it with him, but then he woke me up this morning excitedly babbling to me the good news and the whole history of Lindir in the lore just as I did to you guys last night. I guess we really were made for each other. :couple: :roll2:

He did have one bit of info that I hadn't realized. Lindir also shows up in the online LOTR game as an elf who trades riddles with Bilbo at Elrond's House. So nonch, here is what Lindir looks like in the LOTRO game:

Sadly, there is no description of Lindir in the books. His role really is quite small with less than a page of dialogue (although he does have one line mentioning sheep - lol!). Of course Arwen's role was also quite small until the magic of Peter Jackson's screenwriting turned her into a major character, so who knows. :dunno: :pray:

eorious
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm 
Consistently Mediocre

Nonch, I'm so glad you posted the bit from the book. :thumb: I was too lazy to type it myself. What you have there is the entirety of Lindir's appearance in the book. I really do hope it ends up being longer (and more musical) in the film though. :pray:

Venus
 Post subject: Re: Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:18 pm 

Wow thanks so much for all of the info, eorious! I know very little about LOTR/The Hobbit but I really can't wait to see how this all develops. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next