WTFIUO Videos

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Please note this forum has now been closed and posts can no longer be made to it.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: WTFIUO Videos

Postby LauraK » Sat May 21, 2011 2:56 am

:rock: :clap: That was Crazy good, nonch- I smiled through the whole song- just lovely! And so is the new uke- is it male or female?

I learned to re-string watching on YouTube- it's easy! http://youtu.be/Saxrv0y_XYI
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 21, 2011 3:14 am

:D Oh, he makes it look easy! Is it easy?!?!? :lol: I will order my strings right now. Thank you so much for that link! :hug:

It has been interesting to play with the soft black strings. They have a very different feel, and now when I go back to my Aquila's on my concert I actually miss certain qualities of them. For instance it is much easier to 'bend' the notes on the squishy black strings. But maybe that's why my uke sounds out of tune, cuz I can see the strings bending when I watch the video. :hrm: I'm sure it's a trade off.

My new Ibanez feels decidedly female to me, and I haven't named her yet. :dunno: Ideas?
Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 21, 2011 3:38 am

Oh no...that's for you. Her name will come...maybe in a dream.... :D

And yes- it IS easy! I did it correctly the first time I tried. I had to replay the bit where he shows how to tie the over-under on the bridge but it was so cool to do it myself- correctly! :) Thanks to Aldrine.

Here's a page with a little diagram of how to tie on a tie-bar bridge. http://www.get-tuned.com/restring_ukulele.php
ImageImage

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sat May 21, 2011 3:44 am

Oh wow, that was beautiful nonch :clap: :D :hug:

I've re-named mine (for the second time) to Honolulu, so maybe you could name it after a place. Like Owaka? :wink:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 21, 2011 3:48 am

Oh wow....I told you guys I knew/know nothing about music, right?

http://youtu.be/H_v7qSSN6xI

He lost me....yet the commenters get it. :worry: Must watch many more times.....
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 21, 2011 4:01 am

kipples! It's funny you would say that...my other ukulele is named Van, short for Vanuatu. :D I LOVE Honolulu, both the place and the name! :thumb:

LauraK...that blew my mind. :rolleyes: My brother talks/plays like that. I have so much to learn, but I think that's why I can't get enough.

Are you ladies working on anything currently?

I can't figure out how to edit video. :bang: If I can...I will post a clip of our gig in Central Park. THE Central Park. :wink:
Image..Image..Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sat May 21, 2011 7:55 am

Wow! Just wow! No, wait, double wow!!! That was sick! :clap: :cheer:
I'm so impressed :D

And the new uke is gorgeous! :)

Aquilas come with instructions that are really easy to follow btw ;) If you can read tabs restringing the uke will be a breeze in comparison.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat May 21, 2011 8:03 am

Nonch, that was outstanding! :clap: Your uke (I'm calling her Ibana, with a tilde over the n) has such a nice sound!

Laura, if you just sing Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do and try to play what you're singing, I think it'll come to you easier. If you don't understand music, doing it physically can help more than trying to absorb it academically. All you have to know is the half steps are between Mi and Fa and Ti and Do, the rest are whole steps. His means of explaining it like a pattern are okay, but it seemed pretty complicated to me, and I knew what he was talking about. :puzzled: :rolleyes:

I can read chords, I just don't get tabs. :dunno: :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 am

I can't read tabs either but seeing Nonch doing so well inspires me to try to learn :D

Aldrine explains it in a very round about way IMO. :nods: Just play around and you'll hear what it's supposed to sound like. At least that's how I do it. :)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Gotcha...sort of. :lol: I will def practice and try to figure it out.

I can read tabs but it's so tedious! Like counted cross-stitch! :D But I see where it's necessary for finger-picking, which you're fab at, nonch...and you too, biscuit.
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 21, 2011 2:58 pm

The only reason I ventured into tabulature is because then I wouldn't have to sing! :wink: The uke does the melody for me. :heart: Cross-stitch is an apt comparison. lol. Though I promise you, tabs get easier and faster to read. I still don't understand all the symbols and markings that tell you how to combine notes etc, but I'm sticking with Woodshed from Uke Hunt. His video examples make things very clear for me. I have to remember to thank that guy.

I really appreciate the kind feedback, you people are wonderful. :hug:

:hrm: I'll think about Owaka and Ibana. Thanks. This uke seems fussy and fancy...so shiny and with all the decorative details and gold tuners...very different from my sandy, unpolished concert. I think she needs a theatrical, splashy name. :hrm:

biscuit, you've been picking for a while....didn't you use tabs? I'm going to have to go back and watch some of your old videos...unless you're going to put up a new one. :D
Image..Image..Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sat May 21, 2011 3:16 pm

Nonch: I do picking but only in various patterns over regular chords, as an alternative to strumming. I can't play from tabs at all! I've never had the patience to sit down and just learn how to. Maybe now that my voice is gone would be a good time to give it a go :D

I promise to put up a new vid as soon as my voice recovers ;)

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Almost every tab in 'Crazy' is over a regular chord. :D In fact if I prefer, I can play almost the whole song with a strum.

http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploa ... yPatsy.pdf

See the chords written above the tabs?

You'll probably try it and be like, "Oh THAT's all it is?!?!? I've been doing that for ever!" :roll: :lol:
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 pm

:clap: Nonch that was beautiful! And your video is very appealing visually as well, with your lovely uke and the white clothes and the dark background. I'm trying to think of a name for your uke... :hrm: For some reason I keep coming up with Spanish names, like Carmelita.

I've never done cross stitch but I will agree that tabs are a pain in the behind. :? I have to go through it painfully and laboriously a few times before it all comes together and makes any kind of sense, lol. And then I have to play it about a million times or else I forget it and have to learn it all over again. :roll:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun May 22, 2011 2:48 am

I don't get the numbers - if we only have 5 fingers, why do the numbers go up to 10? Those tabs are a little clearer than most of the tabs found on the WTF Music, Lyrics, and Tabs thread, since they're on a staff. I would rather have the true notes written out on a staff and the chords above - now THAT language I understand!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Uke players corner”