Writers

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Writers

Postby Amanda » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 am

You're welcome :) bear in mind that half of the interview is them singing, so it's not as long as it seems. I reckon you'll like it :waggle:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

andthisisthewonder
New arrival

Postby andthisisthewonder » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Great interview - thank you for sharing, Amanda :)

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:46 pm

You're welcome, Wonder :yawinkle:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks for that, Amanda. I love that interview. This thread will be a great way to compile all the various comments that the Conchords and crew have made over the years regarding writing the songs and/or the show. If you have more...lay it on us! :D

Right, mock. I had forgotten about the BBC stuff as inspiration for the first season of the HBO series. Interesting that the interview Amanda posted explained how the radio series was almost entirely improvised around only a basic structure, and the TV show was quite scripted with perhaps a chance to improvise and play with the scenes a bit if they had time. It was sort of sweet how Jemaine refused to allow anyone to assume he started the song, "Ladies of the World". What a gent. I will say that I still can't always tell when they are in jest. :lol:

Remember this? There is a tiny bit of behind the scenes from the tv show. Rhys demonstrates how he contributes to the writing at about 1:03. :lol:

http://vimeo.com/189098

Recognize the laugh at 0:54? :) and Bret with a uke. :heart:

I think they showed some HBO behind the scenes footage in the On Air documentary as well, and I don't remember if there was any info on the writing process in any of the extras of the Season 2 dvd. :hrm: I may have to pull it out this week and have a look.
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:38 pm

On a completely unrelated search through the internets, I stumbled upon this blurb that contains a couple of quotes that are right on our topic. This info is attributed to; Pitch Engine, December 2007, "Interview with Jemaine Clement by Benedict Reid"

Jemaine Clement wrote:"When we do write [our own scripts] we're quite analytical about it. You choose all these lines really carefully and then when you act it's like it doesn't matter and we don't memorize them and we sort of do something which sort of comes out a lot like the script. I guess the acting is an extension of the writing." Asked if the writing gave a structure to the scenes, he replied, "Yeah, we take the writing a lot more seriously than the acting."

Asked about episodes of FOTC written by Taika Cohen and Duncan Sarkies, he said, "We storylined them. So we give them a storyline and they hand in their first draft and then we give them notes on that. And then we do the last re-write."

So maybe Jemaine does get full credit for the idea to showcase his sugalumps. :lol: Sounds like the guest writers were more responsible for dialog maybe than for plot. :hrm:
Image..Image..Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:51 pm

Still wish I had been a fly on that office wall...... :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:43 pm

I just wandered into the Archives and read James Bobin's Q & A which speaks a lot to our discussion here.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2139

(I don't know why there are random punctuation/symbols all over the place...I took them out, I hope I didn't change any meanings)

James Bobin wrote:The first thing we have done both seasons is write down all the ideas all 3 of us have, and they can be song ideas or story ideas, and then stick them on boards. You may have seen the New York Times article with the photo of us at work and noticed all the index cards. That is a fairly late stage in the process where we have 10 favourite episodes, 3 or 4 possible episodes and a bunch of spare ideas on different boards.

Thanks, James! :) I've long wondered about that.

And this made me laugh!

James Bobin wrote:As a director I always like to get takes from the script that I'm happy with before we move on into improvisation as I think a lot of the scripts have some nice phrases or wording that are only going to be funny if they are said in a certain way and exactly as written; Keitha's speech about her parentage in Unnatural Love being a good example, as with Dave's description of a puppy being born from Sally Returns last season; and with Murrays dick Medicine line to Jemaine from Murray Next Level; they were all written so well they don't need any help with improv.

Heehee! I adore that one of his favorite lines is about a dog's pussy! :roll2: I don't remember the "dick medicine" line....anyone?

What a great interview. I'll mention one more thing then shut up;

Beth Thrutchley asks - Is there any silliness in the scripts that Bret and Jemaine have refused to do? They commit to their parts so ferociously that I am curious if there is some line they have not been willing to cross.

James Bobin replies - Not really. I don't think it would be funny if it even began to make either of them uncomfortable as they are so easy going - so we've never really come across this.

Interesting. It's quite nice to know that Bret is completely comfortable nearly nude covered with honey, or being taken advantage of by an aggressive blonde. :waggle:
Image..Image..Image

Return to “HBO TV series”