Off topic blather

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Off topic blather

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:14 am

I don't blame you, SW. My brother's in charge of the race in my home town, and he charts the tide, times how long it'll take for the turned tide to start moving the boats, etc, down to the minute. So when the boats are released, it just makes everyone laugh at how quickly they zip along. (They do slow down and hit snags under the bridge, though) But yours is in fresh water, isn't it? Hmmm, can't time the tide there, can you? :hrm:

Hope the weather coooperates for you, and here's hoping the J-Duckkk wins. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Well that was disappointing. It rained hard yesterday and the river was deemed too wicked for the ducks or more likely the volunteers who would have had to enter the river to retrieve them. Gimme a freakin' break. :roll: When I arrived I was pleased to see the river moving along at a good clip in comparison to how it looked last in the video from last year so I thought the race would be quite exciting. Wrong! The ducks were loaded up in the backhoe, backhoe driver raised the bucket, drove a few feet forward (into the crowd of people, many of them small children mind you, much more dangerous than the supposedly rushing river) then dumped the ducks onto the ground where a mobscene ensued as we retrieved our ducks and brought them to the pavilion for prizes. My prize was a pink plush dog change purse/keychain, which I promptly gave to a child nearby, even she wasn't very thrilled. There was also a contest for decorated ducks. Surprisingly one of my faves actually won 3rd place, the engineer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shebearess ... 6971464920

Here's the J Duck still looking optimistic amongst his decorated friends, little did he know he would be unable to compete in the race he'd trained so hard all week for. :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shebearess ... 6971464920

He is now taking a consolation dip in the bathroom sink.

OH & one little kid picked up the J Duck after I put him in the backhoe bucket and said "That's not Harry Potter." :hrmpf:
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:49 pm

That engineer duck is ace! :thumb: What did the winning duck look like? I think I spied a pirate duck!

Sorry the raging river stymied the actual race. How anticlimactic for you both, though I don't know how anything could top the riveting footage from last year's race. :wink: Great photos btw. How many people attended?
Image..Image..Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:41 am

Bummer, SW. :evil: They probably wouldn't have needed the volunteers anyway, what with the swift-moving river and all. :?
What a riot must have ensued with everyone trying to retrieve their ducks. :rolleyes:
Hey, that was such a genius alternative, did they have that plan B in place for more than a minute? :roll:

So was the winner determined by whoever found their duck and got to the pavillion first? :waggle:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:04 am

I'm surprised no one got trampled, lol.

What a bunch of wusses! The river looked nice and flowy- it wasn't a raging-rapids or anything. :roll: Ah well....next year. :)

And yes, your pics were great. :D The duck cakes? Eeeeewwww...they looked a bit peckish... ;)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:02 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:That engineer duck is ace! What did the winning duck look like? I think I spied a pirate duck!
The toddler boy who claimed the 3rd place prize was dressed as an engineer too. :lol: The winner was the one with a blue hat to the left of the engineer in this pic. It was called Miss America and IMHO looked like a duck in drag. http://www.flickr.com/photos/shebearess/5869836750/
Yes there was at least one pirate duck. I’d say there were about 200 people there. There was a duck in a canoe! I thought that was a great idea and I wonder how he would have fared in the race.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shebearess ... 971464920/

Nancy wrote:They probably wouldn't have needed the volunteers anyway, what with the swift-moving river and all. :?
That’s true but I think the volunteers have to go into the river to collect all the ducks at the finish line. Seriously though, this river may have been higher than last year (when it looked about up to their ankles) but it was far from a high, raging river. The best part of this whole thing, seeing the ducks in the river, was denied us. We were robbed without reason!
Nancy wrote:What a riot must have ensued with everyone trying to retrieve their ducks. :rolleyes:
Hey, that was such a genius alternative, did they have that plan B in place for more than a minute? :roll: So was the winner determined by whoever found their duck and got to the pavillion first? :waggle:

Yes it was a riot, mostly of little kids. I had to take a couple out to get my ducks back.. :hammer: They were completely disorganized. I don’t think they knew until the last minute that they wouldn’t be allowed to dump the ducks in the river and the woman making the announcements only had a megaphone at the pavilion so when we were over by the river we couldn’t hear what she was saying. As far as I know there was no winner crowned for the actual race.

The duck cakes were already half melted by the time I arrived. The site of people eating them at 9:30 in the morning was a bit gross. But even more disgusting was the site and smell of people eating hot dogs. Blech.
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:58 pm

9:30 am hot dogs??? :what: :sick:

In the photo with the railroad duck, is that a pilot up in the right hand corner? Looks pretty cool. I think the creativity was top notch for these duckies. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:12 pm

I can't stomach hot dogs or their smell at any hour of the day but 9:30am is just atrocious.

I think that was a football player, not a pilot. I wish I'd gotten better photos of the decorated ducks on the table but it was almost impossible to get in there due to gawkers.
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:35 am

Football player makes sense - helmet, shirt, yeah, I'd buy that. All I saw at first was the helmet and what looked like old fashioned pilate's goggles, but I couldn't explain the shirt. The footbll player explains the shirt.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:59 am

The Red Sox played their 4th of July game this afternoon. I wrote about this when it happened. This was the last part of their pre-game show. I still tear up:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 98928-1022

What a great way to celebrate the 4th. Here's to all who are serving our country. :clap:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:28 pm

The other day I was chatting with someone about fictional bands. We were taking turns naming them and guessing their source. I died laughing because we could sometimes name their songs and in some cases even do the dance moves. :lol: (Pop! Goes My Heart, anyone?) There was some debate over whether "Flight of the Conchords" really counted since they are a real band with the same name, but that aside...I thought maybe someone out there might enjoy trying to name the source show or movie of these fictional bands. 8) Bonus points if you can name any of their 'songs'. :P I know I've left off a bunch, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that wishes a few of these bands were real. :lol:

1. The Silver Platters

2. The Worthless Peon

3. Jesse and the Rippers

4. Vesuvius and A.D.D.

5. Curt Wild and the Rats

6. Steel Dragon

7. Infant Sorrow

8. Otis Day and the Knights

9. Crucial Taunt

10. Munchausen By Proxy

11. The Wonders (Oneders)

12. PoP!

13. Citizen Dick

14. Dingoes Ate My Baby

15. Crucifictorious

16. Wyld Stallyns

17. Drive Shaft

18. Zack Attack

19. Stillwater

20. The Be Sharps

21. Chemical Toilet and Electric Dream Machine

22. Sexual Chocolate

23. The Time

24. No Vacancy

25. Phish Tahko

:)
Image..Image..Image

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:51 pm

17 is easy. "You all everybody!"

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:43 pm

11. That Thing You Do! You doin' that thing you do...breaking my heart into a million pieces, like you always do. Love that song!

I love when Faye hears it on her little transistor radio for the first time. She's running down the street screaming with excitement. Then Jimmy, and Lenny join her at the appliance store where Guy is working for his parents & they're dancing and celebrating, song blasting in the store. That's a fun movie scene.

Also, will add one band to your list. The Nerve is currently my fav tv band. One of my very favorite tv shows 'Spirited' features a main character named Henry Mallet, his band's name is The Nerve. His ballads are beautiful.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:29 pm

8. is a good one - Shout!!! Animal House's famous toga party scene. I spoke to Peter Reigert (Boone) after seeing the film and he told me that Otis and the Knights were actually actors assembled for the film, not a real band. I though they were terrific.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Oh my god, sad news. I was looking up The Rocker for #4, and found this: http://rainn.wilson.mediafetcher.com/ne ... ealand.php

Now I hear it's not true. I'm glad.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”