Call Me Pearl: The NZ Culture Thread

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Call Me Pearl: The NZ Culture Thread

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:47 am

I had to look at a Google map...he's right, but only from his perspective at the time. If he goes straight West, he'd miss Oz and head straight for Argentina....very far away indeed! If he were on your South Island's East coast he'd also hit Argentina- much more quickly! :D

I love Man vs Wild.....heck, I love all of the survival shows. :) Dual Survival and Survivorman included.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:00 am

LauraK wrote: had to look at a Google map...he's right, but only from his perspective at the time. If he goes straight West, he'd miss Oz and head straight for Argentina....very far away indeed!
Heh, yeah. Bear himself just corrected me on Twitter! :lol: Sneaky though. Much faster to go east and through Chile than all the way around!

I've not heard of those other shows, I'll have to see if they're online somewhere... :hrm: :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:00 am

That's one way to get someone to talk to you- challenge something they've said! :D

Dual Survival is cool. "The program follows two survivalists showcasing contrasting wilderness survival skills: Cody Lundin, a minimalist and primitive skills expert, and Dave Canterbury, a military-style survival expert and professional hunting guide and tracker.

In each episode, Cody and Dave are placed in a common survival situation such as marooned sailors, lost hikers, trapped divers, and stranded mountain climbers. They then have to survive for a few days with only the gear that a person who found themselves in that scenario would have. Along the way, they demonstrate how to survive off of the land and make gear they need to survive.

Conflict often arises due to the differences in Cody's and Dave's survival methods. Cody, who does not wear shoes, *(even in the snow!) often slows down the team when they are negotiating tough terrain. Dave often tries dangerous methods of gathering food and advancing towards rescue such as reaching into a beehive for honey and rappelling over a ledge to save time."

Here's a clip:
http://youtu.be/eerOKfiOuQ4
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Checking out the hotties (in the snow) down on Cuba. http://vimeo.com/27709878

Gauging by the hullabaloo about the flurries, I'm guessing that it's rare for Wellington to get the white stuff. 8)
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:51 pm

I had read that snow isn't very common in Wellington. It surely seems like nothing by our standards but it must be fun for the kiwis.
90% evil
ImageImage

Great H

Postby Great H » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:22 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:Gauging by the hullabaloo about the flurries, I'm guessing that it's rare for Wellington to get the white stuff. 8)
First time in 40 years Nonch!
What a wonderful video - makes me miss Wellie even more! Pleased to see the bucket fountain is still not working properly too. :lol:

Snow is even rarer up here in Auckland, but we had a few flurries yesterday as well! My bosses 9 year old daughter rang in yesterday, squealing with delight, to tell us all it was snowing at her school!
:biggrin:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:37 pm

40 years!!! Wow. I've had the pleasure of being with people as they experience snow for the first time. It's equal parts inconceivable and wondrous for me to watch, especially when it's an adult. I gotta say, I do love the full four seasons. I can't imagine life without a few snow days a year at least. :wink: I wonder, did the city shut down at such a rare event? :lol:

Great H, did you say, "still NOT working"?!?!? :rolls: :rolls:
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:54 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote: I do love the full four seasons. I can't imagine life without a few snow days a year at least. :lol:
Ditto that. Though I may b**** about snow on occasion & I'd probably be okay with having a few years of no snow at all I wouldn't want to never see it again. It is beautiful, quiet & magical. I'd love to experience it with someone who never had. :D
90% evil
ImageImage

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:Great H, did you say, "still NOT working"?!?!? :rolls: :rolls:
I DID say that Nonch! That thing hasn't worked properly since the day it was installed. They keep taking it away and cleaning it and giving it a fix up, then returning it and hey presto... it still doesn't work right. I think it's part of the reason we all love it so much! :lol:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:58 am

Lovely video, nonch.
I've only been with my daughter when she experienced snow for the first time as a young one, which was delightful. But I did see an adult friend experience the ocean for the first time - he was truly mesmerized. (He lived in Arkansas, hence no ocean)
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:01 am

That was lovely! YOu could definitely tell which people were seeing snow for the first time...my face kinda hurts from all the smiling......thanks, nonch! :D
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:40 pm

I can't imagine never having seen the ocean growing up. The Jersey shore is better than nothing. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:05 pm

I long for the ocean, and I'm about as far away from them as one can be in America.

Great H wrote:
nonchalant obsession wrote:Great H, did you say, "still NOT working"?!?!? :rolls: :rolls:
I DID say that Nonch! That thing hasn't worked properly since the day it was installed. They keep taking it away and cleaning it and giving it a fix up, then returning it and hey presto... it still doesn't work right. I think it's part of the reason we all love it so much! :lol:

Ha! Now I want to see it even more!

Is this true? "Much of the water does not reach the buckets below but instead splashes outside the fountain onto pedestrians and onlookers. On windy days (common in Wellington) water from buckets and the hose are carried several metres from the fountain.

People often add dishwashing detergent to the water, which spreads bubbles all over the mall. This is common to see on Friday and Saturday nights."

Oh no. And this gross over-share from Wikipedia; "Elijah Wood, who played Frodo in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movies, climbed on and urinated in the fountain while in New Zealand filming the movies. This was confirmed by the actor during an interview with Jay Leno." :que:

Ew, then it blows onto innocent passersby?!?!? :sick: :tsk: Maybe I'll observe it from a safe distance. :lol:
Image..Image..Image

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Heehee! Yep, all three of those statements are absolutely true. especially the first one... you can see it happening in the video!
The bubbles were mostly put in another fountain that used to be around the corner in Manners Mall, but I have seen major foam in Cuba as well. Kiwi snow, maybe?! :lol:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:01 am

Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”