Another big earthquake in Christchurch...and Elsewhere

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: Another big earthquake in Christchurch...and Elsewhere

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Something about the type of rock we have on the east coast makes the shaking travel moreso than on the west coast, or so said an "expert" on TV last night. I was surprised to see normally unflappable NYers so shaken up, literally. I thought it was fun, not scary at all. It felt more like a wobble than a shake to me. I imagine those closer to it felt it quite differently.
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:32 pm

Wow. :shock: I wouldn't have wanted to be in a Manhattan high rise. What time did it hit? I caught a snippet of a reporter this morning in Times Square saying they haven't felt anything like that in about 70 years. And so many states felt it. Scary.

Jemaine...have pity on our coasts. :tsk: :lol: (New Zealand probably doesn't want him back) :wink:
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:43 pm

It hit about 10 to 2. I was alone in the office & had my yahoo and facebook pages open and within a couple of minutes news was all over the place about it. Can't beat that instant gratification.
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:01 pm

It's amazing isn't it? :thumb: I also heard this morning that people in NYC were no sooner finished reading tweets of others experiencing the quake when it hit them.

I wonder if it triggered some Sept. 11 flashbacks and fears. Are you guys expecting or experiencing aftershocks?

They've closed the Washington Monument?!?!? :o
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:20 pm

The (IMHO) over reaction to this is quite silly but that's how most news goes these days. I know those in VA suffered some damage but the only damage that occurred it NYC that I heard about were some bricks falling in Red Hook Brooklyn. It's fun to be able to say- hey where were you when you felt your first earthquake? I know they keep saying it's the first in 70 years but I could have sworn there was one in PA when I was little that we felt - maybe that one wasn't felt in NYC though. I grew up near a gunpowder factory that exploded on occasion (fun eh?) and that was some real earth shaking, things falling off the walls, windows busted out stuff - that was a jolt, this was a wobble. :lol: Though maybe if you're in a high rise it feels different, who knows?

My first thought was that I was dizzy or that a big truck went by. If I had been in NYC my first thought would have been a bomb.
Last edited by SheWolf on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:22 pm

The Wash. Monument's the most vulnerable building in DC, I would think, and there was some damage to it.
The earthquakes I went through in LA always woke me up early in the morning. The first one felt like I was on a subway car, going back and forth the same way.
The Yucca Flats/Big Bear one (which was a 7.0, but felt much less because it was so far away) was different - I was awakened by my dog and I looked at the clock and found it took over a minute to stop! It was more of a gentle sway. One person had a dish of potpourri in her bathroom - the dish didn't move or break, but the potpourri was all over the floor. Go figure.

We had moved before the big one in Northridge, which toppled our chimney. We went back out a few months afterward to pack up the house for our final move. We had a backyard that had a 6 ft brick wall enclosing three sides. Two of the sides were fine, but the third wall we were told was like Jello after it was hit, and just a touch wobbled the thing. :shock:

It's funny, when I was putting up pictures at my new place, my sister-in-law told me to put this big picture over my bed. I refused, remembering what we were taught in LA - NEVER put a mirror, painting, or framed picture over the head of your bed. It's the first thing that crashes down in an earthquake. Glad I remembered, even though luckily this one passed me by. The scary thing here in the East is that buildings are so old, and not built to Western earthquake code, and a shaker could really injure people with toppling facades and towers. :shock:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:13 pm

A 6.9 earthquake was felt in Peru less than a couple of hours ago. :hrm: Makes me wonder where is going to hit next. The Pacific plate has been moving a lot lately.
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:39 am

:shock: :sofa: :worry: :doomed:

At least with hurricanes, you get warnings. With earthquakes, you just never know... :nails:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Speaking of hurricanes.... :shock: ...first a silly aside continuing on with the Tropical Storm Bret convo....with all the news full of Hurricane Irene, I started wondering what the "J" storm would be. They alternate male and female names irrc, so that would mean the J name is male. They could have used Jemaine, but no. I looked it up, it's Jose. :roll: :lol:

I hope Irene simmers the hell down. :| How about it eastcoast peeps, are you freaking out??!?! I'm just catching the news for the first time today, are they evacuating New York City?!?!?! :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
Image..Image..Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:24 am

Check it out over here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082&start=150

My gosh, earthquakes and hurricanes and evacuations...Oh My!!! :shock:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:28 am

90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:03 am

Oh no! Geesh, can't they catch a break?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:32 am

The internet is an amazing thing - I hadn't heard about these new quakes and how do I learn of them? From my friends on the other side of the planet! :lol:

They're a tough lot down there, looks like everything is OK, but I bet they're sick & tired of cleaning up liquifaction over & over. And having to go back to square one rechecking the structural soundness of all the public buildings each time.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:50 pm

I saw this on the 12 o'clock news and thought Whaaaaat?? Not again!

At least no one was hurt... :(
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:10 am

I heard it bleary-eyed this morning on the Today show, but it didn't make the evening reports.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”