19 June Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington

All the news, info and gossip for the AusKiwi 2012 Tour
tynant
Giving the paper to the people

Re: 19 June Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington

Postby tynant » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi!! The show last night was so much fun!! I will be posting pics soon! The robot heads were actually really funny. They were supposed to be speakers for Too Many Dicks, which was the first song. Then they made multiple jokes about how they could turn the boxes around for The Humans are Dead. Jemaine kept turning his around and around trying to show that they were versatile. :lol:

Sadly there was not a meet and greet. :? But the boys certainly rocked it out!!! :supz: :rock: :rock: :supz: More to come! Here is a small teaser -
Last edited by tynant on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:33 pm

OMG - that looks SO MUCH FUN! :whitey:
It looks like they pulled out all the stops on the lighting too :D
Can't wait for more details Ty!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:52 pm

:yay: Hi tynant! Thanks so much for reporting back about the gig. So glad to hear you enjoyed the show! The Too Many Dicks speaker/robot heads thing is pretty clever. :lol: Ooh, can't wait to see more of your pics. Shame there wasn't a meet and greet. Are you planning on going to any of the other Wellington shows? If not, if you have some free time I guess you could try again after the gigs of their other shows. Really hope you get to meet the guys! :pray:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:22 pm

Tynant- hang around even if you're told they aren't coming out. They have to leave...and there were plenty of m&g's with small crowds who waited after being told it wouldn't happen. (If you have time, of course.) :)

I'm looking forward to your full report and set of pics! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:01 am

LauraK wrote:Tynant- hang around even if you're told they aren't coming out. They have to leave.
I was going to say that but I didn't want to sound stalkery. :worry: :roll2: :whistle:

Thanks for filling us in a bit Tynant, and for clearing up the robot head issue.
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:10 am

The Dominion Post article has since been updated with more pics. Now we have a clearer view of the speaker boxes :)

Credit: MAARTEN HOLL/Fairfax NZ
Source
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 am

I don't mind sounding stalkery... :)

Great pics. Their shirt colors really Pop in these. :D
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:17 am

Yes, the colours look really good in those photos.

Here's a nice set of pics by Naya Blues Photography. :)

Live Photos and Review: Flight of The Conchords - Tue 19 Jun, Wellington
Written by Sendaria Johnston and Tim Gruar on Wednesday, 20 June 2012 15:24

The weather in the Capital last night was utterly appalling. But inside the Michael Fowler Centre it was heating up in anticipation of the arrival of New Zealand’s arguably best-loved comedy duo.

Once settled in, the show kicked off with a 20-minute set from Arj Barker – or Dave, as you might know him better, from the Flight of the Conchords’ TV show. His set was pretty fluid, but for some reason it never really fired up the winter crowd, whose response was a bit luke-warm. Nonetheless, comments at interval and the crowd around the merch tent signing still indicated a warm appreciation. Wellingtonians are a quiet bunch when it comes to comedy.

After the interval: Business Time. Although that particular number turned out to be absent from the bill – shame that. But from the first moment the lads stepped on stage in silver space tops and dinky cardboard helmets for opener ‘Too Many Dicks’, hometown heroes Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement had the punters licking the salt from their sweaty fingertips.

They mixed back catalogue (‘Hurt Feelings’, ‘The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room’, Ladies’, ‘Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenocerous’ and more) with some fine and well-rehearsed improvisations and intentionally clunky “lulls” (yep, they were actually on the set list). With almost rehearsed-sounding “stuff-ups” no beats are dropped. The Conchords' geeky, nervous, ad-lib banter is the same refreshing, low-key, deadpan humour, delivered in a fashion that only true Kiwis can appreciate

Brett and Jemaine were surrounded by a vast array of electrical toys – synths, guitars, a toy piano, drums – and accompanied halfway through by lone cellist Nigel, introduced as the New Zealand Sympathy Orchestra. Nigel proved himself highly erudite especially during the final number ‘Bowie’s in Space’, when all three stood, whipped off their clothes like male strippers to reveal matching sequinned jumpsuits. They then proceeded to tear up ‘Demon Woman’ in true glam style, with capes held up with wire and a major shred-solo by Brett on a kid-size Flying V guitar.

To add even more fun some new numbers got the test drive, too, including 'Back On The Road', a number that dryly apologised for the poor performance and longed for the next town so they could set up and disappoint all over again. "Um, yeah," Brett explained, "We've gotta get back on the road…gotta get going because were playing here tomorrow night."

Of course, we've all caught the HBO effort, we know about the Muppets, the movies and all that, but nothing really compares to the on-stage experience. The Conchords still rock the party!

Review courtesy of Tim Gruar

Photography courtesy of Sendaria Johnston
facebook.com/NayaBluesPhotography

Source

Setlist:

Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor (with Arj Barker)
Robots
The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room)
You Want Me (New Song, not sure on title)
Albi the Racist Dragon
Hurt Feelings
Jenny
Bus Driver's Song
Carol Brown
The Summer of 1353
Epileptic Dogs
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
Inner City Pressure
I'm Not Crying
Ladies of the World
Bowie
Demon Woman
Encore:
Back On The Road
We're Both in Love With a Sexy Lady
Sugalumps (with Arj Barker) (Ballad Version)

Source
&

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Venus, thanks for the great tour pics & vids. :hug: :cheer:

Ty, I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see your pics &/or vids. :woohoo: :whitey: :yay: Will you have the chance to attend another show? :pray:

Hope your visit downunder-er is fab!
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:15 pm

"Brett," after having got it right at first mention... :lol: :roll: At least they got Jemaine right.

Great pics and good review, though I do take exception to the bit about how only true Kiwis can get their deadpan banter delivery... :tsk: :P
ImageImage

tynant
Giving the paper to the people

Postby tynant » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Ok, so my photos are not as good as those posted above, but I do have some vid of some songs, but not sure where to put them so everyone can see. (Sorry....not so tech savvy :oops: ) There was so much excitement in the Michael Fowler center that night and the Conchords themselves seemed excited and very happy to be on stage. I was surprised to see them smiling so much.

There were a couple of snafus, like Bret not coming in at the right time for the beginning of some songs and Jemaine playing wrong notes. The would actually stop the song, joke with each other and then either start over or pick up from where they left off. I'm sure they had a set list, Jemaine picked it up and referred the the planned lulls in the show! :lol: But, there were times when it seemed like they weren't sure which song they were going to perform. It was usually Jemaine who would ask Bret, "which one are we doing?" Bret would play a few notes and made jokes about that being musicians "code". That happened a few times during the night. They sang Epileptic Dogs and had the audience join in. They divided the audience members, asking them to sing different parts during the song. It was hilarious and people really joined in and sang. At one point, they were trying to figure out if they wanted to tell another story and the audience bombarded them with requests for "fish", Bret started to say something, but Jemaine jumped up and put his hand over Bret's mic. He was shaking his head at him in a pleading sort of way. The requests for "fish" kept coming and Jemaine was saying, "you do not ever want to hear that story, you will want to remove the section of your brain that holds on to that story, but it was so terrible". Still more requests, and Jemaine said, "seriously. no. now go to bed". Finally, Jemaine said that he would be willing to tell the story at the end of the concert so that those who did not want to hear it could leave. But he never shared. :lol:

They both looked REALLY GOOD! :drool: Jemaine's hair was really messy after he removed his robot head. He asked Matt to fix it for him once he was finished adjusting something for Bret. I'm trying to remember other details from the show, but am still sort of in a jet lagged stupor. After the concert, I couldn't really tell where we could hang out to try to meet the boys. The doors from the auditorium let out outside (and the weather was utterly terrible - so cold and raining hard) so we decided to leave. But there is still another show tonight, and maybe we could find a place to hang around to see them, though the place looks like they have a secured exit to the garage - so unless they are purposefully coming out to meet with fans, they could easily leave without being seen. :cry: So, we'll see.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 am

Oh, it sounds like you had a great time!! :D Any pics you want to share- please do!! WTF fan pics are fabulous no matter what!

Fingers crossed for a meet and greet! Be tenacious! :supz:
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 am

Uploading videos on YouTube tends to be fairly straightforward when once you've registered with the site so once you've uploaded your videos, just post the links on here to share it with the rest of us. And yes, we'd love to see any pics you have too. Thanks for sharing those moments during the gig. Haha, so funny how they were teasing the audience with the fish story. :lol: I noticed Jemaine's hair was quite messy in a few photos lol. I really hope tonight works out for you. :pray: Look out for fellow groups of fans who may also waiting for the guys to come out since you could help each other out and sometimes staff at the venue could be helpful but I agree with Laura, you do have to be tenacious.
&

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:11 am

tynant wrote: "seriously. no. now go to bed".

:lol: He should have made you all go stand in the corner. :lol: I hope you can post the vids. Those Dominion Post pics are really cool, I love the speaker/robot heads. I also like Jemaine's messy hair. :drool: I can't believe they're not changing their clothes again though. :roll:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 am

Maybe we should start e-mailing them and ask them to please wear some different outfits for the AUS tour...and remind them that we aren't asking them to be nude or wrestle one another.... :lol:
ImageImage

Return to “New Zealand & Australia 2012 Tour”