Duncan Sarkies - Author of 2 Little Boys

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
kellysouthpaw

Re: Duncan Sarkies

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:02 am

I just finished this story tonight:

I, too, was very haunted by the darkness of the story. It's the same kind of dark humour we have seen from Taika, Stutter and even Bret and Jemaine (I'm thinking specifically here of Nothing Wrong, and Petrov, Yelyena and Me) that just seems so classic to Kiwis. It's going to stick with me for awhile. I definitely saw Deano and Nige's relationship of that of an abusive couple. And I also think that Deano's love for Nige went much deeper and even into the homosexual realm than Deano would admit to himself. I also think it was horribly crappy of Deano to tell Nige he couldn't go to Shepherd's Bush cause he was afraid Nige would never come back and even threatened to tell the truth to the guards to blackmail Nige into staying. That made me REALLY mad.

As soon as Nige was described as "curly-haired" I pictured Bret as Nige the whole rest of the book. He does REALLY fit the bill of Nigel: dark, curly hair, tall, slim. Also he's kind of "naive" in the same way Bret McClegnie was in the FOTC series. I really can't wait to own this film, I already think I'm going to love it - though I'm not sure how it will translate into film what with the flip-flopping of POV's so much.

Two thumbs up from me 8)

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:11 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
As soon as Nige was described as "curly-haired" I pictured Bret as Nige the whole rest of the book. He does REALLY fit the bill of Nigel: dark, curly hair, tall, slim. Also he's kind of "naive" in the same way Bret McClegnie was in the FOTC series. I really can't wait to own this film, I already think I'm going to love it - though I'm not sure how it will translate into film what with the flip-flopping of POV's so much.

That's exactly what I thought :nod:

The flip-flopping issue could be solved like they do in Peep Show (excellent British sitcom), where you "see the world through the characters' eyes and hear their internal dialogue :)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:58 am

Okay, I've read two chapters and I need a reason to go on. I haven't read any of the spoilers because I really would like to finish this book, but the events of the first two chapters a hit and run, death resulting, etc, beating a possum to death and beheading it?. Come on are just not my cup of tea.
Somebody, give me some encouragement - does it get better?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:05 am

Nancy,

If those types of graphic topics are not your cup of tea, you may not enjoy the rest of the book, as it does cover some gruesome/crude things now and again, but it begins to focus on the story of Deano and Nigel with the more gruesome/crude things just happening on the side. That's how I felt about it anyway :dunno: but then again, dead bodies and things don't bother me in the least so I wasn't bothered by it.

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:13 am

What Kelly said :nod:

If it's not for you it's not for you I guess. I found the violence a bit grisly but I wasn't put off by it, and it tells you a lot about the characters. I wasn't put off by the language either although I've heard that some people wëre.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:04 pm

I wouldn't go on if I were you Nancy - the possum is pretty mild compared to what comes later. I found it very gruesome :shock: but it didn't bother me too much as it seemed so far from reality as to be comedic (sadly, I know it actually isn't - these things really do happen sometimes) Also, as it is happening we see into their minds and their laughable logic and way of thinking about it. But I can easily see how it would be very offputting (and maybe even offensive) for some - and believe that might well include you. No shame in stopping - nothing suits everybody! :D

On a side note, I better get the book back to the library quick-smart! :lol:

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Perhaps better to turn this thread into a proper discussion about the book and start another about Sarkies himself?

:hrm:

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:15 pm

That sounds like a plan.

Nancy, I'd wait to finish it. I'm kind of dark in my humor, and getting toward the end, the whole dysfunction of the thing is really haunting and surprisingly moving. One really bright spot in the book is Gav. But that kind of goes south for him, too.

Finish it if you like, but when you're in a sunny mood with loads to look forward to! What everyone else said - it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

biscuit

Re: Duncan Sarkies - Author of 2 Little Boys

Postby biscuit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Gav himself ends up getting published though, so he actually makes it, sort of :) Now all he has to do is live with the trauma of being chucked off a cliff :lol: I was so relieved he didn't die!

The dark parts haunted me after I read it too btw, MM. But now I am starting to remember the funny things. Like the Daily Lama :rolls:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:52 pm

biscuit wrote:Gav himself ends up getting published though, so he actually makes it, sort of :) Now all he has to do is live with the trauma of being chucked off a cliff :lol: I was so relieved he didn't die!

The dark parts haunted me after I read it too btw, MM. But now I am starting to remember the funny things. Like the Daily Lama :rolls:

And God telling Deano to wash his balls :roll2:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:00 pm

There are some pretty gruesome parts which can be quite shocking but I wasn't really affected by it and the underlying comedic tone just made me not take it all too seriously. I completely understand why this coupled with the crude language used in the novel may not be some people's cup of tea though.

Oh and another thing which just screamed out Bret playing the character of Nigel was how he considered himself to be a rhinoceros. I immediately thought of the 'Rhymenoceros' and thought that this character was pratically made for Bret. :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your guidance. It's appreciated.
I may take your advice, MM and just wait a bit to finish it til I'm in a sunnier state.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:15 am

I got my copy of Two Little Boys in the post a few day ago but I had just started reading Lord of the Flies so will be at least a week before I get round to it.
The inside blurb alone has me viry viry excited about Bret starring in this film :D

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Duncan Sarkies on FixTV starting from 49:26 in this video. He starts talking about FOTC and Two Little Boys from 58:55:
http://vimeo.com/46004088
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”