Greetings from Spain!

New to Flight of The Conchords? Or just new to the site and forums? Either way, please take a minute to stop by and say hello. Cheers!
GroovyJavi
New arrival

Greetings from Spain!

Postby GroovyJavi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:22 am

Its kinda late here, and I'm tired, but I've been looking for other FOTC fans for a long time so Ill introduce myself now.
I'm Javi, a straight-male-Jemainiac, I'm 19 and Im from Sevilla, Spain. My English might not be perfect so I apologize for that now that Im just a noobie here!

I found out FOTC because of Jemaine's character in Men in Black 3, I loved the movie so I decided to search some of the actors on IMDB, I wanted to see how Boris really looked like, so I clicked on Jemaine's IMDB profile and I saw that he got a TV show about a couple of musicians, in which he played bass, I'm a bass player myself so I thought "what a cool guy, he plays bass and has a movie with Josh Brolin", and I downloaded the pilot, and then the whole season 1 and the season 2, I loved'em both, everything about the show was really great, I loved the characters, the humour, the music... I consider myself a big fan of them, I listen to their songs all day long, and Im even planning to dress like them with a friend (who doesnt know the show but is the closest thing to Bret that I can get) for next halloween or whatever...

Now that Ive seen the show twice Im trying to watch some other movies from the guys, but its kinda hard to find Spanish subs for films like Eagle vs Shark or Gentlemen Broncos...

Nice to meet you, and, once again, sorry for my English!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Greetings from Spain!

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:49 am

Welcome GroovyJavi! :wave:
May I call you Javi?
Your English is fine - much better than my Spanish! Where in Spain do you live? We have a Spanish member, Amanda, who I believe is in Barcelona. I have been to your beautiful country - to Vigo, while on a cruise. It was wonderful.
I'm glad you had a chance to see the show - it really is quite different from Men In Black, isn't it? :roll2:

Have a look at our Forum Guidelines and post away. We're glad to have you here!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 am

Hi GroovyJavi! :wave:
I love it when someone new discovers the wonders of FOTC! :D These days they're both doing so many different things - movies etc, (I loved MIB3!) which is a great thing because of all the new fans they're making!
Don't worry about your english - it's perfectly fine - there's a bunch of information on both Bret & Jemaine and all the things they have done in the past for you to explore on these boards, so jump on in! :nod: :D

GroovyJavi
New arrival

Postby GroovyJavi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Nancy wrote:Welcome GroovyJavi! :wave:
May I call you Javi?
Your English is fine - much better than my Spanish! Where in Spain do you live? We have a Spanish member, Amanda, who I believe is in Barcelona. I have been to your beautiful country - to Vigo, while on a cruise. It was wonderful.
I'm glad you had a chance to see the show - it really is quite different from Men In Black, isn't it? :roll2:

Have a look at our Forum Guidelines and post away. We're glad to have you here!

Yeah, y'all can call me Javi if you want :)

I live in Sevilla, Andalucia... you know, the south of Spain, its a nice place, with some beautiful places, some cool buildings and stuff, but the people here... I dont know, I don't really like Sevillian people...
Thats cool! I thought for a moment that I was the only FOTC fan in Spain! And well, yes, its really different from MIB, but Jemaine's awesome in both of them haha, thank you for the kind words!

Great H wrote:Hi GroovyJavi! :wave:
I love it when someone new discovers the wonders of FOTC! :D These days they're both doing so many different things - movies etc, (I loved MIB3!) which is a great thing because of all the new fans they're making!
Don't worry about your english - it's perfectly fine - there's a bunch of information on both Bret & Jemaine and all the things they have done in the past for you to explore on these boards, so jump on in! :nod: :D

Yeah, I have a lot of interesting stuff in this forum, I'm very glad I found it! Thank you for your kind reception! :)

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi Javi. :wave: Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've joined us. It's great that you were introduced to FOTC through Jemaine's role in Men In Black 3. I hope you do get to watch other films Jemaine has been involved in too. The next project that Jemaine is working on now is vampire movie in NZ with Taika Waititi so hopefully we'll be getting more information about it soon. I understand you perfectly well so don't worry about your English. I love that you're thinking of dressing up as Bret & Jemaine for Halloween. Many fans have sent in pics of them dressed up over the years and they do a really good job with their creativity so I hope you'll let us know how it goes!

Yes, there are so many topics on this forum about projects Bret & Jemaine are/have been involved in so feel free to post in those topics, create new topics if you want and ask any questions. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

GroovyJavi
New arrival

Postby GroovyJavi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Venus wrote:Hi Javi. :wave: Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've joined us. It's great that you were introduced to FOTC through Jemaine's role in Men In Black 3. I hope you do get to watch other films Jemaine has been involved in too. The next project that Jemaine is working on now is vampire movie in NZ with Taika Waititi so hopefully we'll be getting more information about it soon. I understand you perfectly well so don't worry about your English. I love that you're thinking of dressing up as Bret & Jemaine for Halloween. Many fans have sent in pics of them dressed up over the years and they do a really good job with their creativity so I hope you'll let us know how it goes!

Yes, there are so many topics on this forum about projects Bret & Jemaine are/have been involved in so feel free to post in those topics, create new topics if you want and ask any questions. :D

I really want to see Jemaine in other films or shows, I think I'll really love Eagle v Shark and Gentlemen Broncos...
Id love to see those pictures, maybe Ill paint my (old) bass green & red for that day...

I've been reading some old posts these days and Ive already seen some really cool stuff, Im really glad that Ive found this place!
Once again, thanks for the kind words!!

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Bienvenido Javi!

Como ya te han dicho las chicas, aquí vas a encontrar toda la información que hay sobre Flight of the Conchords, Bret y Jemaine. Hace años que venimos haciendo recopilación de fotos, vídeos, artículos, notícias sobre todo lo que rodea FOTC y comentándolo. Has escogido un buen momento para venir, ahora que ya no están de gira, la série acabó y no tienen ninguna película pendiente de estreno (excepto quizás Bret, que participa en The Hobbit), esto está lo suficiente tranquilo para que te pongas al día en lo que más te apetezca. (mira los archivos ;) )

Eagle vs Shark a mi me ENCANTÓ! Mírala con subtítulos, ni que sean en inglés, porque ya te habrás dado cuenta que hay que acostumbrar el oído al acento kiwi para entenderlo. Creo que tu nivel es bastante bueno para entender los subtítulos en inglés. Gentleman Broncos es escatológica y *rara* un rato..pero ahí dejo a tu elección y capacidad de apreciar lo freaky que la veas o no ;)

Un saludo!
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

Amanda

Postby Amanda » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:40 pm

About the movies they've worked in, there's also "Diagnosis: Death" a disturbingly hilarious movie with Jemaine, Bret and the actor who plays Murray Hewitt in their TV Show, Rhys Darby.

Jemaine also participated in this bizarre, class B film "Tongan Ninja" and the dark period piece "Predicament".
If you do like Eagle vs Shark, though, you can't miss Taika Waititi's following film: BOY.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:31 am

Hi Amanda! :wave:

Except for a few vocabulary words, I got the gist of what you wrote to Javi. I'm glad you stopped in, my dear. :D

That video of the credits is priceless. :rolls:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

GroovyJavi
New arrival

Postby GroovyJavi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Amanda wrote:Bienvenido Javi!

Como ya te han dicho las chicas, aquí vas a encontrar toda la información que hay sobre Flight of the Conchords, Bret y Jemaine. Hace años que venimos haciendo recopilación de fotos, vídeos, artículos, notícias sobre todo lo que rodea FOTC y comentándolo. Has escogido un buen momento para venir, ahora que ya no están de gira, la série acabó y no tienen ninguna película pendiente de estreno (excepto quizás Bret, que participa en The Hobbit), esto está lo suficiente tranquilo para que te pongas al día en lo que más te apetezca. (mira los archivos ;) )

Eagle vs Shark a mi me ENCANTÓ! Mírala con subtítulos, ni que sean en inglés, porque ya te habrás dado cuenta que hay que acostumbrar el oído al acento kiwi para entenderlo. Creo que tu nivel es bastante bueno para entender los subtítulos en inglés. Gentleman Broncos es escatológica y *rara* un rato..pero ahí dejo a tu elección y capacidad de apreciar lo freaky que la veas o no ;)

Un saludo!

Si, llevo estos dos días viendo el foro y he descubierto muchas cosas interesantes, como ya he dicho, me alegro mucho de haberos descubierto. Ahora está tranquilo y puedo leer, aunque como hay muchos posts que no están activos me da cosita responder despues de meses, por eso no estoy escribiendo mucho n_n'...

He intentado conseguirlas y demás pero nunca me coincide la version que tenga de la peli con la de los subs y estan desincronizados... me veo capaz de verla con subs en inglés, pero no lo encuentro, así que si me puedes echar un cable con eso te estaré eternamente agradecido! Y, no sabía que tenía una peli de serie b, adoro la serie b (de hecho mi nick es una referencia a Bruce Campbell, que es leyenda en ese tipo de cine), así que intentaré lograr todas esas películas porque realmente los argumentos me atraen y si están Jemaine y/o Bret es otro motivo más para verlas!
Muchas gracias por el recibimiento! ^^

Amanda

Postby Amanda » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:46 pm

I will continue in English so the rest can understand as well; although I'm fairly sure they understood everything we said :yawinkle:
Hey Nance! :hug:

Feel free to post on any thread, old or new :D you'd be surprised how many lurkers we have that may feel the same way. Besides, we really like discussing FOTC.

All of their movies that I've watched, I have purchased on DVD. Eagle vs Shark is only £3.76 on amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000XZTAR6/whthfo-21 <-- click on this link to keep What The Folk ad-free :thumb:
Did you know that Jemaine also did the voice for Nigel, the evil cockatoo, in Rio? Look up his FOTC-esque song on youtube: Nigel's Song.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm also glad you stepped in, Amanda. :hug:

And I agree with Amanda that it's completely fine if you want to post in the older threads which are quiet and not active at the moment because we always enjoy discussing anything related to FOTC regardless of whether the topic is old or new. I'd love to read your opinion on Jemaine's role in Men in Black 3 in this thread or maybe you can post in the threads about their TV show here and once you've watched Jemaine's other films, you can let us know what you think of them by posting in their threads too. You can post wherever you want. :D

A couple of years ago, I asked fans on Twitter if they were dressing up as Bret or Jemaine for Halloween and I received many photos but unfortunately I didn't save them. One girl dressed up as "Prostitute Jemaine" from Season 2, Episode 2 with the white vest and red shorts which was very funny. Many fans seem to like dressing up as robots. Here's an album that's on FOTC's MySpace page. When fans go to see FOTC live in concert, some decide to attend the gig dressed up as FOTC characters. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

GroovyJavi
New arrival

Postby GroovyJavi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Venus wrote:I'm also glad you stepped in, Amanda. :hug:

And I agree with Amanda that it's completely fine if you want to post in the older threads which are quiet and not active at the moment because we always enjoy discussing anything related to FOTC regardless of whether the topic is old or new. I'd love to read your opinion on Jemaine's role in Men in Black 3 in this thread or maybe you can post in the threads about their TV show here and once you've watched Jemaine's other films, you can let us know what you think of them by posting in their threads too. You can post wherever you want. :D

A couple of years ago, I asked fans on Twitter if they were dressing up as Bret or Jemaine for Halloween and I received many photos but unfortunately I didn't save them. One girl dressed up as "Prostitute Jemaine" from Season 2, Episode 2 with the white vest and red shorts which was very funny. Many fans seem to like dressing up as robots. Here's an album that's on FOTC's MySpace page. When fans go to see FOTC live in concert, some decide to attend the gig dressed up as FOTC characters. :)

Well I'll post on those threads then! I discovered them 3 months ago and now theyre one of my favourite things ever, check this out and you'll see it (My 25 most heared songs):

I think well wear something like this (Actually we usually dress like that):
If we do it Ill probably upload it here so I know your opinion about our costumes :)

And, gracias, Amanda, I think Ill buy some Jemaine movies via Amazon!

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Welcome GroovyJavi! You came to the right place for all things FOTC. And of course their cohorts!!

Some of us post a lot, some not so much, but we all feel like one big FOTC family here. We have had a couple of meet ups and lasting friendships were formed after meeting on this message board. :D

I look forward to reading your posts and hope we all can meet at some point on your side of the pond. :D
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:24 pm

11 out of the top 25 are FOTC! :heart: Love it!
(I'm gonna have to check out some of the other 14 on your list now...)
:D

Return to “Introduce yourself - Feel free say hello here before posting. Thanks”