Banter About Bret

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Banter About Bret

Postby Venus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Josh Groban has revealed that he is collaborating with Bret on an upcoming project that he can't talk too much about yet. I'm guessing it's for "The Muppets...Again!" but we'll see. :)
http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/josh-grob ... eo-5333098
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Venus wrote:Josh Groban has revealed that he is collaborating with Bret on an upcoming project that he can't talk too much about yet. I'm guessing it's for "The Muppets...Again!" but we'll see. :)
http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/josh-grob ... eo-5333098

Oh my goodness, Sully will be delighted with this news! :supz:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Bret's taking part in the Playspace Society Variety Show at St James Church in Wellington on the 27th Feb for community daycare for the under-3s. Also features Sam Scott from The Phoenix Foundation, Toby Laing, Mara TK, Lord Echo etc. http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/tick ... y-Show.utr
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 am

Now Jemaine is rumoured to be joining Bret. Would be great to see them together again. :)

ETA: Seems like Bret is performing but not Jemaine. The duo of Sam and Bret sounds interesting. I hope there'll be pics and videos. :)

Big names on bill for childcare centre fundraiser
SOPHIE SPEER
Last updated 05:00 26/02/2013

Cake stalls have been replaced with a star-studded musical variety concert as a fundraiser for a Newtown childcare centre.

Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie, Phoenix Foundation's Samuel Flynn Scott, and Fat Freddy's Drop's Toby Laing are among the acts at tomorrow's Playspace Society Variety Show.

All the performers have children at the parent-run co-operative childcare centre in Adelaide Rd.

"This generation of parents, it's our chance to make our mark," Scott said. "[It's a reflection of] people who have played in bands before who are now in their mid-30s with children.

"It's an acknowledgement of not necessarily being young party rock'n'roll bands any more, but being something else."

The concert is being held at St James Church in Newtown, which will fit about 100 people. "It's really going to be a community kind of event. We're not putting on a big concert, it's going to be quite small. There'll be crowd participation and singing along."

The concert was expected to raise about $6000 for the childcare centre. "We usually have cake stalls and stuff like that, but we were finding these things to be fairly low yield," Scott said.

"If we raise $6000, we're looking at about 60 cake stalls - so this is much more efficient."

This year there were 15 children attending the centre, many the offspring of musical parents.

Also in the lineup are Trinity Roots' Rio Hemopo, Mara TK, Jessie Moss, and The Yoots.

Scott said the bands would play their well-known songs, including Phoenix Foundation songs performed by a band made up entirely of fathers, and a duo with Scott and McKenzie.

The money raised would "help keep things ticking over". Limited tickets for tomorrow's 7pm show are still available from underthe radar.co.nz for $30.

Source
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:32 am

Judging by a few photo tweets, Bret joined the band if dads on drums, played Short People on the uke and performed Man or Muppet on keyboard with Sam from The Phoenix Foundation. 8)

Source

Short People

Source

Source

Source

Source

Musical stars turn out for the kids
Stars band together for childcare fundraiser
Last updated 06:36 28/02/2013

ROSS GIBLIN/Fairfax NZ
HELPING OUT: Phoenix Foundation's Samuel Flynn Scott, left, and Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie play at St James Church in Newtown last night.

It may have been for the kids, but it was the parents up and dancing at a star-studded fundraiser including Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie.

The variety show last night, organised by Playspace childcare centre in Newtown, was held to raise funds for the co-operative, parent-run centre.

On the sloping wooden floor of St James Church in Newtown, people sat cross-legged while listening to folk and acoustic tunes from McKenzie, Samuel Flynn Scott of the Phoenix Foundation and their musical friends.

Childcare centre parents organised the variety show with a goal of raising $6000.

Songs were played in honour of Tame Iti, craft beer flowed freely and so did a fair few swear words while the audience swayed in time.

As guitarist Mara TK put it, it was time to send the kids to bed.

McKenzie said his daughter Vita and son Leo were at home while he helped their childcare centre earn a few dollars.

The hit of the night was a rendition of McKenzie's Oscar-winning tune Man or Muppet, with Scott and him leading the crowd in a sing-along.

"I'm going to be the man, and Sam has sort of volunteered to be the muppet," McKenzie said.

"We'll see how that goes."

Source
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 pm

I would looooove to see video of this! :)

Thanks, Venus.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:41 am

No problem, Laura. I really hope there's a recording too!

Source

Gotta love how Bret's become attached to those red trousers. ;)
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Just an update on the Josh Groban news, it seems as though he's collaborating with both Bret and Jemaine :D

Groban says he has plans to collaborate with two of our own – Flight of the Conchords duo Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement.
"The thing that we're collaborating on is a top secret cameo for something that we're working on that's going to be released sometime next year," he says.

And you can watch him talking about it here
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed May 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Late night Shopping brings out the stars
'For it to be enjoyed by Kiwis means a lot'

Last updated 05:00 30/05/2013

MAARTEN HOLL/Fairfax NZ
IN THE AUDIENCE: Bret McKenzie and partner Hannah Clarke at the premiere.

MAARTEN HOLL/Fairfax NZ
RUGGED UP: Movie director Taika Waititi with Chelsea Winstanley.

Wellington's hottest stars braved a chilly night for the premiere of local film Shopping at the Embassy Theatre.

Family, friends and stars such as Bret McKenzie, Ladi6, Oscar Kightley and Taika Waititi mingled at the opening night of Kapiti film-making duo Mark Albiston and Louis Sutherland's first feature film.

The award-winning writers and directors said Shopping might have already screened at the Sundance and Berlin film festivals, but this was the night that really counted.

"We can't wait to show everyone - our friends and family who have talked to us for six years about the making of it," Albiston said.

The loosely autobiographical movie, set in 1981, follows a young Kapiti boy seduced into a gang of shoplifters by a charismatic criminal.

The reaction of the New Zealand audience would be the film's true test, Sutherland said.

"For it to be enjoyed and shared by Kiwis means a lot more to us than anything else."

The premiere was also a chance to reunite the cast and crew. For many of the young lead actors, including Kevin Paulo (Willie), Laura Peterson (Nicky) and Julian Dennison (Solomon), it was their first experience of the red carpet.

Dressed in his best, 10-year-old Julian was at home among the glitz and glamour with his mum and sister. His twin brother, whom he pipped for the role, remained at home.

The Naenae Primary pupil was nervous about people watching his portrayal on screen.

"It's kinda like it's me, but it's not me."

Waititi and partner Chelsea Winstanley said that though neither had worked with Albiston or Sutherland, both were long-time "admirers from afar".

Source
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 pm

*Looks for Like button*

:D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:06 am

Wait, Bret and Mike Fab performed together? Where the heck was I????!!!

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Aww, it was a one-off fundraising performance in Wellington. I'm jealous of those who were there too. Must have been a fun night for all. :)
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:26 am

Bret attended the Boardwalk Empire S4 premiere in NYC this evening

Source

The pic below is interesting...:lol: :

That's Brett from Flight of the Conchords, guys, I swear @BoardwalkEmpire

Source

ETA from Zimbio:
&

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Hmm, Bret at an HBO thingy, eh? :hrm: Gee, if Jemaine were there too I'd start to seriously fantasize about them being in talks with the network about their next project together. As it is, I'm only imagining that Bret was invited as a gesture on behalf of HBO to get him thinking how great it is to work with them. The Champagne Chandelier, on the other hand, is to entice Jemaine to join the next such event. ;) (Looks like something Murray might have thought up.)

Oh, and I'd like to say that those pics of Bret are mighty fine. :nod: Love the velvet jacket. They definitely belong in the Bootylicious Flyday thread too. But where have all the Bretaholics?

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Yeah, I was looking out for Jemaine but he wasn't there.

chelseyajohnson My boss embarrassed me last night and made me take a picture with her friend Bret...though I'm not all that mad about it. #thethirdconchord #flightoftheconchords

Source

Interview on the red carpet. Bret talks about Hartford :lol:
&

Return to “Bret McKenzie”