07 Sep, PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

All the news, info and gossip about FOTC headlining the Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

07 Sep, PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:39 pm

For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

ACA
New arrival

Re: General Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival Discussion!

Postby ACA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: 07 Sep, PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks for sharing, ACA. Just moved your post to this thread. :)

@mattdshane:
Just another night on the road. Shoulder rides from security guards w @fotc

Source

Source

Short clips:
Robots #1
Robots #2
Robots #3
Inner City Pressure

After a brief intermission, it was now time for the first of the headliners. The Flight of the Conchords are a fun duo (Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement) that play music for a lot of their comedy. I was familiar with them from some of their comedy specials; they also had an HBO program that I never got around to watching but was pretty popular among a small segment of the population. McKenzie was the music supervisor for The Muppets and wrote several of the original songs featured in the film, winning an Oscar for Best Original Song in 2012. While the return of Chappelle received a lot of attention, the Oddball Festival also served as something of a reunion for Flight of the Conchords as well. The duo did a tour in their native New Zealand in 2012, but hadn’t toured in the States recently. They were really fantastic and played a mix of material during their hour long set. They started off with “Jenny” and worked their way through “f*** on the Ceiling,” “Hurt Feelings,” “Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros,” “Father and Son,” “Inner City Pressure,” “The Summer of 1353,” “The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room,” “The Humans are Dead,” “Sally” and “Back on the Road.” At one point during “The Most Beautiful Girl,” Jemaine came out into the audience to serenade a woman in the front row (much to the irritation of security, who didn’t appear ready for this to happen. Not to be outdone, Bret then climbed on the shoulders of a security guard and sang from there. The audience ate that up with a spoon, though from my vantage point I worried that McKenzie might get dropped on his adorable head. He didn’t seem all that secure, but thankfully a crisis was averted. I was super bummed when their set came to an end; the hour seemed to fly right by and I was hoping that they would get around to performing my favorite, “Business Time:”

Sadly, it wasn’t meant to be. But despite not playing my personal preferred setlist, they left me completely satisfied with their performance. I’ll definitely make the effort to watch old episodes of their show on HBO GO. Seeing them alone would have been worth the trip.

Source

Sarah Silverman turned up as the special guest too. 8)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: 07 Sep, PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:30 am

All this chatter and reviews with pics makes me want to get my dvd's out and watch the series...

also, HBO is re-running the series, both seasons...yay :D

Return to “Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!”