01 Sep, DTE Energy Music Theater, Detroit, MI

All the news, info and gossip about FOTC headlining the Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!

LauraK
Boom King!

Re: 01 Sep, DTE Energy Music Theater, Detroit, MI

Postby LauraK » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:48 pm

*Pleasepleasepleaseplease* :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Yay, go Laura! Hope everything runs smoothly for you on Friday. :pray:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Got 2 tickets near the back of the pavilion left of center- Jemaine-side! :D Wish it could be closer but ah well- tix are pricey. I'm glad to be going and seeing some other familiar WTF faces as well. :)
ImageImage

Danielle
New arrival

Postby Danielle » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:37 pm

New to the forum...hello and how-do-you-do. I needed a place to express my excitement over this momentus occasion! I mean, of all places DETROIT?!?! Wooo hoooooo! Had a bit of trouble w/ the Ticketmaster site this morning and tried a number of times to score the most desirable tix (it kept redirecting, I assume, due to high traffic). Finally got some great seats in the center section, row P. Row P! Such a lovely letter. A few 'gold circle seats' were available, but 300 clams a-piece is a little out of the budget! Can't wait!!!!!! So many exclamation points!!!

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Congrats, Laura and Danielle! :cheer: Really looking forward to reading all about this show. :D
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Hope those who went to this show had a great time :D

Corbis Images:
Click for more pics Corbis Images

Backstage
Talib Kweli: Doing it big with Bret and Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords Dave Chappelle up next! #oddball

Source

Source

@oddballfest
Source
Who's foxy legs are these I wonder, #oddballfest #detroit #dteenergycenter

Source

Talib Kweli: Enjoying watching Flight of the Conchords in Michigan

Source

Source

Short clip: Business Time
&

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:23 pm

I recognize those ligs. :supz:

The man wearing the beige hat with Bret is the same man who hugged J recently.
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Yeah, that guy has been touring around with the Oddball crew and posting various behind the scenes pics and clips on his instagram. :)
&

Danielle
New arrival

Postby Danielle » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm

I can't believe I finally saw them live! From 16 rows back, the sound was sheer perfection and the crowd was loving every minute. The muffin story had us roaring...and now I know a complimentary muffin won't actually pay you compliments. The video visuals up on the big screen were HILARIOUS during the Father/Son tune. I was hoping to hear the 1353/Woo A Lady ditty as I'd actually allowed myself to become a fan-girl for the evening and don a homemade "Woo a Lady" t-shirt, but alas, it didn't coalesce. No worries...all the more incentive to see them again!
As far as the other performers, we LOVED Jeff Ross and Hannibal Burress, the latter of whom left us with tears streaming down our faces (Jibberish Rap!). Kristen's Flashdance number was the highlight of her set for sure. Jemaine's fancy footwork was the icing on the cake...a wet Jemaine is quite a sight to behold, indeed. Dmitri Martin was great, too. It was all I could do to not shout "Doggy do's and doggy don'ts, doggy wills and doggy won'ts" when he took the stage.
I only wish the sets were longer! Fantastic night...can't wait for next time! :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 pm

The man wearing the beige hat with Bret is the same man who hugged J recently.

He must be connected to the tour. Or he's a guy-groupie. :)

Danielle- I loved Hannibal, too! My husband thought he was ok, but I was also dying at the gibberish rap! And the ballerinas, lol! "Put on deodorant......jibberjiejejeje chicken s***..." :lol:

It was a great show. Man were our guys good! I couldn't get over how in 4 yrs (and not to say they weren't great back when I first saw them) they've gotten so much tighter. To me, there were no missteps. Their voices were perfection, they harmonize so beautifully together, their playing was fantastic, and the little things they added here and there to the old songs just made them even better. Not that I get tired of them, although I kind of wish Business Time was the one they did on fast-forward rather than Rhymenoceros vs Hiphipopotamus. And they are just so adorable when doing their "we're clueless dorks who think we're rock stars" when talking about groupies and perks like complimentary muffins. Again, something I just don't seem to be getting tired of yet! :lol:

Oh, I saw a girl heading to her seat in the row in front of us- we were in VV so this was UU. She had on a whatthefolk.com (I know it's .net here but I think it said .com on her shirt) t-shirt that said Jemainiac on the front. Anyone we know here? :)

They did their usual banter of life on the road, the muffin story, getting stuck in the lift, the groupies and how we could just walk round back- (no one would stop us-) just say we're a groupie and in we'll get. Freaky s*** happens backstage! Their door was just past Dave's, lol....

Jemaine talked of how the last time he'd seen us was 2009 and he mentioned the year Detroit came into being and how happy they were to be back in the USA...all of this off of the back of his guitar, lol.

I suck at remembering set lists, so I hope someone will pop in and help fill in what I forgot. :) Plus, I'll get it out of order....only the first couple will be right and the last, lol.

They played that old Come to New Zealand Now commercial and then went right in to-
Jenny. <3
F on the Ceiling
Father/Son song
Hurt Feelings
Inner City Pressure
Song for Sally/Creep
Business Time
Back on the Road

Jemaine told the audience to please be very quiet and to please listen to the lyrics during their new song between a father and son. They started but then he stopped almost immediately and admonished some guys who were joking and laughing by saying things like 'why are you telling your own jokes? You paid to come here and hear our jokes....don't tell your own! Be quiet!" And after that, it was pretty quiet during the song. :) And the way it's shown on the screens is pretty cool and they got a lot of laughs setting it up. I'll be glad when it's cool to show and talk about. There are some lines in that song that about killed me. :)

When they went into Creep, Bret was stalking behind their security guard and reaching for him- it looked cool on the screen and the guy was clueless. :lol: (Bret said the guy was a lot tougher than he appeared and would handle anyone who tried to rush the stage and get to them, lol! Earlier, Bret said that the guy was kind of small for security Jemaine said "That's rich coming from you!" :D ) Jemaine got down to the edge of the stage and reached for a woman and took her hand while singing "I'm a weirdo....wth am I doing here....I don't belong here..." :heart: I must say, Jemaine's voice sounded amazing during this bit of song, very high and beautiful- and it went on longer than the 1 video I've seen of it on this tour. Really, they just sounded so great together and I know they always have...not sure how to describe it....just better than I've heard them sound. :) Or maybe it was because the screens were so clear and made them seem closer and I was just so happy to be seeing them again.

At one point Jemaine talked about having us in the pavilion fight everyone on the lawn, lol....then he was saying that would not be good. Not a good way to open for the headliner by having the audience all kill one another after they'd all come to see Dave. I yelled "we came for you!" And he held his fist out in my direction and fist-bumped me, lol. Damn, I wish we'd been closer. I hope Kelly will come in and tell how it was for her- she sat the closest, I believe.

No encore...they ended with BotR , thanked us, and said goodnight.

We only walked around a bit before we found our seats- the Freaks and Geeks seemed pretty lame- there was a small crowd around a guy swallowing a sword and a guy drilling a bit into his face....lots of overpriced food to be had....we sat in the car before going in and shared a beer and had eaten dinner before coming so we didn't buy anything but a water. I thought the merch was overpriced so I'm going to wait and see if anything drops after time passes. :) I like the morphed-faces tee shirt. I didn't see anything small and the line was crazy anyway.

*sigh*

Time to start whining about them coming back soon, lol!
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks so much for reporting back, Diana. Glad you enjoyed yourself! You should post a picture of your 1353/Woo A Lady t-shirt, I'd love to see it. :) Sorry they didn't play it but it does give you an incentive to go to more FOTC shows since they have plenty of songs in their back catalogue which they can perform and of course, it's always a joy to see them live. Good to hear you enjoyed other acts as well. It was Demetri's last Oddball Fest show so you're pretty fortunate to have seen his stand-up routine too.

Great account, Laura! :clap: Wow, sounds like it was an amazing show! :D

LauraK wrote:It was a great show. Man were our guys good! I couldn't get over how in 4 yrs (and not to say they weren't great back when I first saw them) they've gotten so much tighter. To me, there were no missteps. Their voices were perfection, they harmonize so beautifully together, their playing was fantastic, and the little things they added here and there to the old songs just made them even better. Not that I get tired of them, although I kind of wish Business Time was the one they did on fast-forward rather than Rhymenoceros vs Hiphipopotamus. And they are just so adorable when doing their "we're clueless dorks who think we're rock stars" when talking about groupies and perks like complimentary muffins. Again, something I just don't seem to be getting tired of yet! :lol:

Aww, for them to be even better than the last time you saw them is truly special. :heart:

Oh, I saw a girl heading to her seat in the row in front of us- we were in VV so this was UU. She had on a whatthefolk.com (I know it's .net here but I think it said .com on her shirt) t-shirt that said Jemainiac on the front. Anyone we know here? :)

Oh really? Cool! I hope that girl posts on here to let us know it was her (or gets in touch on our FB or Twitter).

Jemaine told the audience to please be very quiet and to please listen to the lyrics during their new song between a father and son. They started but then he stopped almost immediately and admonished some guys who were joking and laughing by saying things like 'why are you telling your own jokes? You paid to come here and hear our jokes....don't tell your own! Be quiet!" And after that, it was pretty quiet during the song. :) And the way it's shown on the screens is pretty cool and they got a lot of laughs setting it up. I'll be glad when it's cool to show and talk about. There are some lines in that song that about killed me. :)

Haha, nice to hear Jemaine was putting members of the audience in their place. :lol: Ooh, I'm so curious about that Father and Son song since I haven't heard the full length version yet but yes, once the tour is over we can discuss it in full.

Jemaine got down to the edge of the stage and reached for a woman and took her hand while singing "I'm a weirdo....wth am I doing here....I don't belong here..." :heart: I must say, Jemaine's voice sounded amazing during this bit of song, very high and beautiful- and it went on longer than the 1 video I've seen of it on this tour.

:heart: Lucky woman!

At one point Jemaine talked about having us in the pavilion fight everyone on the lawn, lol....then he was saying that would not be good. Not a good way to open for the headliner by having the audience all kill one another after they'd all come to see Dave. I yelled "we came for you!" And he held his fist out in my direction and fist-bumped me, lol. Damn, I wish we'd been closer.

:supz: :yay: Go Laura! :D
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 am

I was just looking at Bret's lovely pics from the HBO thing and remembered something Tom said when he first saw Bret on the super-clear big screen:

"Hm....Bret's looking kind of rough."

Me: :wtf: :eek:

*realizes he's a guy*

"Um, no....actually he looks pretty great. A bit rumpled but that's just him. Kind of like you when I don't ask you to put on better clothes and comb your hair to go somewhere...." :P

He knew better than to make any comment about how Jemaine looked. :)
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:03 am

Someone put up the audio from our show in its entirety at YouTube! So I see now that it wasn't the spot I thought where I yelled, lol. My memory sucks...I remember what I heard and did, just not when they all occurred....
It was when Jemaine asked if we were excited to see Dave Chappelle. I felt like it was quiet when I yelled, lol, but we were far back.

The back and forth while they get set up for the father Son song is great...so is when J tells the dudes to shut up. :lol:
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:50 pm

It hasn't taken long for Bret to get a bit scruffy after being well groomed for the Austenland US promo. :lol: It's cool you have your show captured so you can relive everything that happened. 8)
Some untagged photos of the show can be found here.
&

Return to “Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!”