29 Aug, Comcast Theatre, Hartford, CT

All the news, info and gossip about FOTC headlining the Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 pm

For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:38 pm

I saw that last night, Chappelle was heckled so hard that he walked off. Dumbasses who pay money to come to these things and then ruin it for others make me so mad! I hope nothing like this happens at our show...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/08/30/dave- ... -hecklers/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/3 ... 40534.html
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Re: General Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival Discussion!

Postby eorious » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Wow, I can't believe the venue management did nothing to stop that! :wag: :thump:
Here's hoping the rest of the tour goes more smoothly :pray:

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Re: 29 Aug, Comcast Theatre, Hartford, CT

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 pm

I thought these comments would fit better here (yes, just flexing the old Mod muscles... ouch!)

I wonder if newest member Diana will report back on the show. I remember her saying she was nervous about big crowds. Sounds like this one might have been extra 'special'.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20 pm

This is only the 2nd time I've ever heard the name Dave Chappelle. Both times have been linked to questionable behavior.
90% evil
ImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Dave Chappelle was behind Comedy Central's Chappelle's Show which was intermittently brilliant ("The Wu-Tang Financial Services", the sketch about the blind white supremicist). It ended when he got stressed out and conflicted about the show and disappeared to Africa for months.

Myself, I am ambivalent about this - yes, you should respect the performer. But he could have asked security to throw them out, i bet. And comics as high-strung comics than him who hate hecklers as much as he does (like Patton Oswalt) have been able to throw some zingers back that have quieted the crowd.

Maybe Chappelle should stay behind the scenes. and here's Oswalt's great essay about hecklers (and other topics): http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cult ... kling.html

I didn't hear anything bad about our lads, though! They might end up being headliners by default.

News article on the "meltdown":
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... video.html
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 am

Ugh, I was just reading about the Chappelle situation. It's such a shame. I agree with you, MM. Hecklers can be so obnoxious and I've heard that Bret & Jemaine have had to endure some hecklers during this tour but it's disappointing that it's all turned very sour (lol at Jemaine calling them "Harshford" on FB). Let's hope this doesn't happen again and things look up for the rest of the tour. I'm curious to read about Diana's experience too.
&

Diana
New arrival

Postby Diana » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:33 am

I don't know what happened, but I wrote a lengthy post just now that just disappeared into thin air. Here I go again.

As you know, I attended the "Harshford" CT show last night. My friends and I had excellent seats as we paid a premium for them. I wanted to share with you my overall experience of the show.

The MC Jeff Ross and the opening acts were prepared and were generally well-received by the audience. I was surprised that Kristen Schaal did not reference FoTC in her act and did not perform with the guys at any point in the show. I was hoping for something like the Flashdance routine, but nothing of the sort materialized.

Before FoTc took the stage, the venue was half empty. The overall vibe at the Comcast Theatre was distant and cold. This vibe was not emanating from the audience, but from the place itself and the security staff. When the venue was filled to capacity during the FoTC performance, that vibe did not change. Even though we had good seats, I felt very distant from the stage. The audio quality was poor and fans were not allowed to leave their seats to stand closer to the stage. At one point, Bret and Jemaine tried to physically get closer to the audience, but it was too brief. I got the impression that they too had a difficulty time navigating this venue. Interestingly, Jemaine several times pronounced Connecticut as CONNECT-I-CUT, as he was clearly trying to create a more intimate connection with the crowd, but I continued to feel the tyranny of distance throughout the set.

Despite these challenges, Bret and Jemaine were the stellar attractions of the festival and gave an excellent performance. Their enormous magnetism makes them natural stars whether they like it or not. They performed the classics Business Time, Inner City Pressure, Hurt Feelings, Too Many Dicks, Sally/Creep, On the Road Again and the new songs Father and Son and 1353.

I planned on posting pics and videos on here as I had recently bought a new camera. I was annoyed by the security's strictness about taking photos while at the same time ignoring the unmistakeable aroma of weed that permeated my entire section. I found that to be ridiculous. I only managed one halfway decent photo during their whole set.

And speaking of weed, Dave Chappelle gave quite a performance last night. Chappelle is not my cup of tea, but my friends are fans and they were very disappointed about Dave's set. I know there have been reports that hecklers started the whole fiasco, but the truth was the heckling only started after Dave started getting annoyed with the audience after someone screamed out "Oprah" which triggered an angry response from him. Many fans yelled out that they loved him and was so glad he was back. My take on the situation was that Dave appeared tired, unprepared and bored, as he kept referencing the clock. My friends were convinced he was in the mist of a very public meltdown. I know FoTc defended Dave on their fb, but the audience is not to blame for what happened during his set.

After Dave's set completely disintegrated, my friends were in a hurry to get out the venue, so the possibility of meeting Bret and Jemaine quickly went out the window. I am grateful I finally got the opportunity to see them live, but part of me wishes that I tried harder to find the right scalper so I could have attended one of the McKittrick Hotel shows. Oh well. It is what it is.

I am curious to see what the future festival goers have to say about this tour. The way I see it, FoTc is carrying this festival entirely on their shoulders.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks Diana. I’m sorry your experience wasn’t all you’d hoped for. Your review confirms what I had suspected about Chappelle and this type of concert going experience in general as it relates to FOTC.

Don’t beat yourself up about the McKittrick shows. As far as I could tell no one was scalping those tickets and I mean NO ONE.
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for filling us in, Diana. It's a shame you missed out on Kristen and Jemaine's flashdance. I thought that Kristen decided to stop doing the flashdance during her set at upcoming Oddball shows but they performed it yesterday at Pittsburgh so it's strange it didn't happen in Hartford. At least FOTC's performance made up for it all but I can imagine your friends being disappointed by Dave's performance. Last night I was reading some reactions from people who were there and you're definitely not the only one who thought that the audience wasn't fully to blame for what happened and that Dave self-sabotaged his own set. I read about Dave doing the whole chatting-to-the-audience-on-a-stool-whilst-smoking thing at some of his more intimate warm-up shows a few weeks ago even when he wasn't annoyed and that he had more of a story-telling act which is quite different to the quick-fire jokes and skits that perhaps his fans are used to so I was interested to see how his set would go down at Oddball and overall the response was pretty good up until Hartford. At least the main reason you went to Oddball was to see FOTC and I'm glad you still managed to have a good experience seeing them live. I really hope that it doesn't take you too long to see Bret and Jemaine live again in a much better environment. :)
&

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Diana, thanks for the excellent report. I think you should forward it to the Slate writer. It might clear up some of the controversy.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Some pics and clips from the show:

Audio of Most Beautiful Girl
Short clip of F on the Ceiling filmed by Brody Stevens
Another short clip of F on the Ceiling
Banter
Short clip: Too Many Dicks #1
Short clip: Too Many Dicks #2
Compilation of songs
Short clip: Hurt Feelings #1
Short clip: Hurt Feelings #2

@oddballfest:
New perspective of watching Flight of the Conchords soundcheck. #oddballfest #hartford #comcasttheater #fotc

Source

@mattdshane:
Summer sound checks @fotc

Source
@rebeccatravis tour managing @fotc from the side of stage

Source
Source

Source

Source

Source
&

Diana
New arrival

Postby Diana » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Thank you, Venus. I am annoyed to hear Kristen reinstated her Flashdance act in Pittsburgh. There were comments on the FoTC fb about the missing act at Hartford, so maybe they listened to fans and brought it back? As I stated in another post, Bret's Oscar win made FoTC A-Listers and now they have carte blanche to do what every they want. This means they will be spending more time in the USA developing new projects, so I am sure I will see them again live.

Mohumbhai Mania, I just read Slate's article on Dave's performance. It's unfortunate the author brought up the view that the hecklers which racially motivated. Some may have taken it that way, but it's simply not true. The vast majority of the audience were there to see Dave regardless of race. The audience responded to Dave the comedic superstar performing a lackluster set, not as Dave the black man on stage.

Here's another theory that I haven't heard brought up. The venue itself and its management which is clearly poorly run. Apparently, this particular venue has a history of negative events. I read somewhere there was a riot there at Dave Matthews concert years ago. I can tell you the management did nothing to stop to the hecklers and security had a bad attitude overall. The place was just not welcoming to both performers and fans. Maybe Dave was having a genuinely bad day or maybe Dave and the audience were both affected by the negative vibrations in the environment unknowingly. We will never know.

Thankfully, FoTC's performance was not affected it, but their fb comments clearly indicated that they picked up on the negativity in the environment too. Kiwi people seem to have a calm, collected energy about them and don't appear to become easily rattled by external factors :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:13 am

Great recounting of how it all went down, Diana. Thanks- and I too am sorry for your experience and having to leave early. From what I've heard, you may not have had a chance to meet them anyway, it seems the fans run into them before shows getting coffee. (Am I checking out small coffee shops near our venue? Yes I am.) :D

It sounds like that place needs to fix a few things...they're going to be losing customers if they don't.

I hope ours isn't so strict with cameras...
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Oh great, I'm going to the other Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA next Sunday. :roll:
Here's hoping they're not both run the same way.
One thing that does not bode well for shows like this: for us, at least, the parking lot opens at 2:00, the doors don't open until 5:00, show starts at 5:30. That's an awful lotta time to "prepare" for the show, and with so many comics and Dave on last, well, it's a recipe for trouble unless they're limiting the amount of drinks you can buy. Right. That works well. :lyre:

Anyway, here's hoping things get better on the tour. :pray:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!”