30 Aug, First Niagara Pavilion, Pittsburgh, PA

All the news, info and gossip about FOTC headlining the Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

30 Aug, First Niagara Pavilion, Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:35 pm

For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

oooshkie
New arrival

Re: 30 Aug, First Niagara Pavilion, Pittsburgh, PA

Postby oooshkie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:22 pm

If anyone is going to the Pittsburgh show, we have spare rooms if anyone needs a place to stay. We are 30 mins from downtown. My email is maileehlers@gmail.com.

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Nice of you to offer a fan a place to stay, oooshkie. Good luck purchasing tickets on Friday :)
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:44 pm

This was tynant's show, right? Hope we get to hear how it went. Looks like the performers thought that this was a great crowd after what happened in Hartford.

FOTC on FB:
The population of Pittsburgh are good dudes.

@oddballfest:
I'm sorry guys but #burgettstown has been the best crowd so far on #oddballfest!!

@almadrigal
Dave Chappelle killed in Pittsburgh in front of a great crowd. #oddballfest night & day, only difference is the crowd. #listening

@hannibalburess
Chappelle just destroyed in Pittsburgh. As Did Schaal, Ross, Madrigal, and the Concords. Heading home to Chicago. @OddballFest

"We were in Hartford last night and it was a nightmare..." "...as reported by the media." -Flight of the Conchords. #oddballfest

Source

Review: Dave Chappelle's comeback gets a boost in Pittsburgh
His act followed the two-man band Flight of the Conchords, who sang satirical songs made familiar in their HBO series, with themes including wooing a lady circa 1353 and "It's Business Time," which doesn't refer to business in the usual sense. They bantered amiably about the many bridges in Pittsburgh and muffins in their hotel rooms between songs, including one about epileptic dogs that seeks for sympathy for a golden retriever having a seizure and a labrador shaking on the floor. When the New Zealanders sang about groupies, I kept expecting Ms. Schaal to return to the stage, because she had played that role on their TV show and Mr. Clement had helped her earlier, when she splashed about in a nerdy "Flashdance routine" that after a few weeks on tour finally found it's way home to Pittsburgh.

A clip of Kristen and Jemaine's flashdance :D
Vine of Jenny
Short clip of Business Time
Banter
Short clip: Epileptic Dogs singalong

@oddballfest
Source
Source
Source

@mattdshane
Source
Source
Source

Source

Source

Source
&

tynant
Giving the paper to the people

Postby tynant » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:25 am

Hi! This was my show :supz: The boys were great! We had decent seats (maybe 10 rows back?), Jemaine side. The staff was super strict about cell phones and were ejecting people who were on their phones (no texting, calling, etc). So, sadly, I have no photos or videos to share. :cry: We had driven for 6 hours (!!) to get there (should have only been 4) and did not want to be kicked out.

The set list was as follows (I think :doh: ) Jenny, Sex Tips, Tears of a Rapper, Rhymocerous v. Hiphopopotamus, Business Time, 1353, Dad & Son, Inner City Pressure, Back on the Road.

The crowd was really into the show, although they were a bit loud and rowdy. Bret was interacting with a couple of women who got up and left temporarily. They told the muffin story and told the audience to fill her in when she got back. Jemaine did the same for people who were showing up shortly before Dave Chapelle took the stage. The "Lift" story was told, too. Someone yelled out for them to do Freebird. Jemaine seemed to try to work out the chords but then said that he couldn't play Freebird and told the person to "shut up and to never, ever ask that of anyone again". Someone was asking for Business Time and Jemaine said that it was on the set list, if he could just hold on a minute. The guy yelled out for the song again, and Jemaine said that he could just take a pen and cross it off the set list and then crumple it up and throw it at him. Well, "we would pass it to people who would then throw it at you".

Inner City Pressure was fun....Bret asked for everyone to stand up before they started this one. Jemaine showed off some pretty awesome dance moves while playing the triangle. This version of the song was really good last night. I can't quite pinpoint what was different about it, but it really got the crowd moving and you could tell the boys were having a great time performing it! Jemaine asked Bret why he had wanted the audience to stand. lol. Bret said he didn't know why...they chuckled at that.

They talked a bit about Pittsburgh. Commenting on how proud Pittsburgh should be about how many bridges ("all 406 of them") they have....what an achievement. I think the venue was about 20 miles outside of Pittsburgh and they said they felt like they were in the middle of nowhere.

They mentioned that they have groupies and said that all they had to do was to go backstage and let security know that they are groupies and they would be let in. lol.

Overall, it was a great time. I feel very privileged to have seen them in New Zealand, as the feel to the show was just different. But, I am still looking forward to the show this coming Friday in Camden!

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:05 pm

:supz: Thanks so much for your account of the show, tynant! Don't worry about not having any pictures and videos, I definitely do not want people to end up being kicked out of the shows for trying to sneak in a shot or two. Haha, I love the banter you've described. SW posted a video of Inner City Pressure from the NYC show she went to and I really like the new twist on it with the triangle, flute and Jemaine's dancing. Glad to hear it got the crowd going too. Did you get to witness Kristen and Jemaine's Flashdance as well? Looking forward to reading about your experience at Camden. :D
&

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Glad you had a good time Ty. Have fun in Camden and try not to get killed (bad local joke). :P
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Glad you had fun, Tynant, it sounds like another great show! (Except for the inabilty to take pics...)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Diana
New arrival

Postby Diana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:19 am

It looks like Bret and Jemaine made some positive adjustments to their set. There were not as interactive with the audience in Hartford. Hopefully, this bodes well for the rest of the tour.

Return to “Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!”