Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Re: Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra

Postby emira » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks Venus for the amazing recap, as always. :hug: I'm a bit tired after work today and tomorrow I'm catching a plane, but by Monday I should add my goodies, which will make you remember the full set of the show. ;)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:04 pm

I was looking for the "Like" button!!! :doh:
Thanks for the great recap, Venus. So Rachel was the other person with you? Rachel of the famous Bret and Nigel playing "5 Foot 2" on her uke after a FoTC show?
Emira, take your time posting what you have , we're a patient bunch. :waiting: :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Yay, looking forward to your goodies, emira. :)
Yes Nancy, you're thinking of the right Rachel (here's the video I took of Bret and Nigel playing her uke 3 years ago). Memories. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Yay, the memory is still intact! :boogie:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:34 pm

*Re-swoons....* Don't know how you kept so cool, Rachel!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Sorry for taking me so long, but I'm at my parents' now and the Internet is very slow here. I need more time to upload everything I have.

Teaser no 2

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks, emira! :thumb: No worries about the uploads taking a bit longer. Great performance and I love it when they rock out on their ukes! :rock: Sam's onesies are brilliant too. :lol:

Oh and my WIUO postcard from Edinburgh for donating to their PledgeMe campaign arrived today. :heart:
&

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Venus wrote:The evening started while we were in the queue outside of the venue. Andy was the first one to come out to take a photo of the long queue which formed not long before doors opened due to the sold out nature of the gig. Nigel soon followed to take photos too.

We had a prime pick of seats once we entered the venue. We soon settled on second row centre seats so we had an amazing view of WIUO up close.

There was a 1 hour set, then a 20 minute interval followed by another hour long set plus an encore of two more songs so we had a fun-packed full length show.

Nige singing This Charming Man

50 Ways To Leave Your Lover was the last song of part 1 of their show, that's why I got braver and when I heard new tunes I turned my camera on. Earlier on, I tried to snap some photos, but it went blurry and this is one of not many where you can recognise anyone. It's during Heartache, Age's playing his solo, Sam is holding a torch, Bek the curtain and Gemma a disco ball hanging on a swiping brush.

Bek handed out a giant comb to a guy in the front row while singing Pretty Baby by Blondie ("You, you with the comb, you look OK in every way" :lol:).

That is more hilarious when you realise that that guy was bold. You can see him in my videos on the left. :D
During the second half of the show, the crowd seemed well and truly pumped up (maybe some had a couple of drinks during that interval to build their energy levels up ;)). People were dancing in the aisles, WIUO were even more lively and the cheers were even louder.

Encore- Common People, Hoki Mai.

You must remember the guy who got on stage invited by Carmen to dance with her. He was Andy's old friend. They said he looked a little bit like Neil Finn. You can see him under the stage here in the shirt with floral pattern.

I didn't know where to point my camera, because there was A LOT happening on stage during this song :D

Andy's other friends sent their kids on stage to dance at the end of the show and WIUO were almost forced to sing Common People!

After Push It my camera got overheated and I had to wait a minute or two to start recording again, that's why the beginning of this song is cut and later when it got dark, I struggled to get focus.

This is almost the end of the show. Thank yous, introducing the band and because I wanted to film the whole band, I lift my camera too high and got noticed by the Chapel staff. That's why it's not the whole song.

They reserved a seat for someone in the front row to record the whole show so I hope it's uploaded sometime soon so we get to see it.

In the videos you can notice a hooded person on the right.

I settled on mostly taking short HQ videos clips.

I did the same thing, so here are screencaps together with photos I took,

Yes, Bek, Nige and Age were barefoot. :)

Emira talked about the long term with their EP and UK tour and Age suggested that she could be their manager since she had it all planned out. :lol: :thumb:

No connections but enthusiasm matters ;)

Anyway, listen to the show yourself: AUDIO

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Fabulous!! What a great show- thanks for sharing it! :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm

:yay: So great to relive it all, thanks emira! I'm so glad you captured "Push It" because that was such a fun performance and yes, there was a lot going on. :D "Today Is Gonna Be Mine" was one of the songs I wasn't familiar with but I remembered them tweeting about it since other people had asked about that song so I went back to their Twitter page to find it. Yes, I definitely remember the bald guy who was pretending to comb his "hair" and the guy and kids who joined them on stage. Andy definitely had a lot of support that night from friends/family. It really was a fun night and I'm looking forward to playing back the audio. Thanks again for all the goodies! :hug:
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 pm

In Bret & ukulele related news :)

Bret Mckenzie Ambassador for the New Zealand Ukulele Trust
Wednesday, 4 September 2013, 10:32 am
Press Release: New Zealand Ukulele Trust

Bret Mckenzie Ambassador for the New Zealand Ukulele Trust

Bret. By Pat Shepherd

Academy Award winner and musical all rounder Bret McKenzie is the 2013 ambassador of The New Zealand Ukulele Trust.

The New Zealand Ukulele Trust is dedicated to improving young people’s access and participation in music by providing instruments, workshops, competitions and resources at no cost to families. It also stages the annual New Zealand Ukulele Festival, a free community event.

Bret McKenzie wholeheartedly supports this vision; “I'm really excited to be the 2013 Ambassador for the NZ Ukulele Trust. Not only because it's a ridiculously long title but also because I want to help bring music to more young people in New Zealand”.

As a young person Bret McKenzie was encouraged to try dance, music and sport. He learnt to play a number of instruments, including guitar, ukulele and keyboards. Bret McKenzie says “the ukulele is such an accessible instrument - easy to learn and great for a large group to play and sing along to.”

The New Zealand Ukulele Trust is delighted to announce the official appointment of McKenzie as Trust ambassador. “It is fantastic to have a New Zealand musician who has made it on the world stage endorse our efforts to get more kiwi kids accessing the benefits of learning an instrument,” says trust chairperson Mary Cornish.

Bret McKenzie, most famous for his international success as being one half of musical comedy duo Flight of the Conchords and winning an Academy Award for song 'Man or Muppet' from movie The Muppets in February 2012. He has also been involved in local acts; most recently starring in NZ feature film Two Little Boys, a cameo in Lord Of The Rings – The Fellowship of the Ring and has also toured as part of dub/funk band The Black Seeds. He is also a founding member of the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra.

For further information on The New Zealand Ukulele Trust and the festival please visit http://www.nzukulelefestival.org.nz

Source

8) :rock:
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Bret on ukuleles :)

The reason for the phone call is because McKenzie has just been named Ambassador for the New Zealand Ukulele Trust - a title he finds hilariously longwinded but a role he's enthusiastic about.

"I get asked to do quite a few charity things but this was one that caught my eye and something I felt a real connection to.

"I've been playing the ukulele for a while, I helped to start the ukulele orchestra in Wellington in 2005 and since then it's amazing how many people I've had come up to me and tell me about their weekly ukulele group - it's a bit like a book club or something.

"In fact, several of my friends are 'over' the ukulele," he says. "They feel like it's been a little overexposed. But you can't deny it's a very joyous instrument."

One key reason for the instrument's rising popularity is the appeal it holds for children as an introduction to the world of music.

"When I was at school it was all about the recorder and I definitely think the ukulele is a huge leap forward. Being able to sing along, and sing in a group, and accompany yourself, is such an amazing feeling."

The trust is all about helping to provide instruments, resources and knowledge, to schools and communities, including teaching interested teachers how to play the ukulele so they can pass it on to their classes.

"It's great because there are teachers out there who thought they wouldn't be any good at music, but they've picked up the ukulele and embraced it and now they're rock stars in their own schools."

McKenzie is very thankful for his own teachers and their musical encouragement. "I had one teacher who always had the whole school singing Beatles' songs. Assemblies would go on far longer than they needed to, so he could get in a few more Sgt Pepper jams. It was lucky for me that I chanced upon a few great music teachers, and that's something that the trust can help to make happen."

As for his own two young children, he hasn't forced the instrument on them just yet.

"I've got a few ukuleles around the house, but we'll just see if they pick them up. They're pretty little."

Those ukuleles have a serious purpose too - they do get used while McKenzie is composing new material. The Academy Award winning-writer is now finishing the songs for the next Muppet film, Muppets Most Wanted, which stars Ricky Gervais and Tina Fey.

Full interview
&

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:00 am

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee :prayer: :supz: :woohoo: :woohoo: :pray:

Could it be true, WIUO visiting the U.S.? Ticketmaster has ONE tour date posted, January 10, 2015 in Springfield, Mass, tickets on sale mid September. It's likely that will mean more tour dates to come, wouldn't you think? We can only hope. Someone posted on FB that they will be in Panama City, FL too.

This is the most exciting news all year!! I didn't post anything on Faceboook because I don't want to steal their thunder and the big reveal. PLEASE, PLEASE, let it be true.

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:21 am

Fingers crossed for you 4ever!

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:38 am

Great H wrote:Fingers crossed for you 4ever!

Thanks H, I'm so excited. I'm very anxious for more news on this.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Return to “Bret McKenzie”