08 Sep, Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA

All the news, info and gossip about FOTC headlining the Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

08 Sep, Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:51 pm

For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus

Re: 08 Sep, Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Nancy's show! :cheer: Can't wait to read all about it :)

Flight of the Conchords serenading #mansfield #oddballfest #fotc #flightoftheconchords

Source

Source

Inner City Pressure! #oddballcomedytour

Source

For a comedy show, they were dead serious about this. I got warned 3 times but I still managed these. #flightoftheconchords

Source

Clip of Hurt Feelings
&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Let's see...I got to the venue early, hung in my car, possibly heard Jemaine do a quick soundcheck, saying, "1,2, yis, 1,2, yis..." Then after a while heard someone else with just a drum, rapping. I'm guessing now that it was Hannibal. Waiting to go in, I stood behind a mother a little younger than me with her son, mid-late 20's, with Irish brogues. The weird thing is later after the show I bumped into her in the ladies room! Whoah! Thousands of people and we meet again.
Anyway, they had the place set up like a midway, I walked the length of it and never found the FoTC or Oddball merch. :(
The stage for the opening comics was in a picnic area, so I nabbed a seat at a picnic table and enjoyed the first few comics, then went to the main stage to get my seat. On the back of each seat was the sign posted above about no cellphones

But my seat was so nice, I didn't care! I sat behind a pregnant lady (6 months!) who had married the father of her child on Friday - they were nice folks, as were all the people around me - they all laughed as much as I did.

Jeff Ross came out swearing, with his hair half up and half down. He said he finally took out the corn rows from the James Franco roast. Some of his jokes were a little as he said, "too soon?" I'm thinking of the Corey Monteith one especially, although I remember laughing at some sections of that bit. He intro-ed Kristen, who in most other venues had closed the first act. She seemed a little off, almost like she had to equal Jeff's trash talk because he had set the bar low. Of course, she was adorable and I loved her, but...no Flashdance. :tears: At the end of her set, a roadie was setting up something that made her kind of confused as she was exiting, and she started back on, but then she said, sorry, my time's up, and left. I think something hadn't been working and they got it to work, because she was obviously underdressed with the Flashdance outfit and ready to do it. :bang:
The second guy was the best of the first act - John Mulaney. Hysterical. The audience didn't want him to leave.
Al Madrigal came out wearing the FoTC tour shirt I wanted, hair like Jemaine's, scruff like Jemaine usually has, short dark hair like...well you get the picture, and glasses with black rims like you know who. I wish I could have taken a photo of him for you to see. His set was a letdown after Mulaney's, so I ran to the restroom and got back in time to see a good bit of Hannibal's set. His set was funny, but still not as funny as Mulaney.
Then they had an intermission where 19,000 (minus me!) people tried to use the restroom, so it was longer than they had planned, but Jeff came back and did a bit with the audience and mini-roasted some guys (one sitting next to me), as well as asking if there were any pregnant ladies, so my lady in front of me and another lady in our section went up. So he had a lot of fun and was respectful of the ladies. And then, the NZ commercial came on....
So...I echo Laura as far as the guys' performance: They were in terrific voice, showed their incredible range, were so musically tight, and looked oh so good! (Jemaine was cleanshaven which I don't usually like, but he rocked the look with his short hair with grey sideburns. He had a very dark denim jacket/shirt and jeans, Bret was sporting a velvet blazer and a cute blue plaid/kind of check shirt and the famous red pants. They commented on being (look at guitar back) in the Boston area. and were adorably funny, as always.
Their set:
Jenny
F on the Ceiling
Chat about the no cameras ending with a warning - "if you take out your cellphone, we'll take instant dick pics and send them to your Fathers, and they'll dissolve in tin seconds so you'll never get to see them, but your Fathers will!"
Father/Son (hysterical bit because of problems getting both of them on the same screen, then getting Bret smaller than Jem,
Bret seeing his red legs and freaking out because of his "skinny red ligs"
Jem confessing his tour name - Bad Dog
Hurt Feelings
Muffin Story
Hip Hop v Rhyme -Jem said "all of the ladies in this place pregnant" (maybe he heard there were 2 in the first 4 rows that WERE pregnant?)
Woo A Lady
Lift Story
Inner City Pressure
Most Beautiful
Sally/Creep - Boy, these two songs work well together!
Humans Are Dead (a little stranger meaning with the Sarin gas incident)
Back on the Road - Jem leaned over and rubbed this lady's curly head, Bret went down to rub her hair and her back, and arms, and then ran back up
Dave was really good. His style is so stream of consciousness. He did a lot on Boston, talking about the bomber on the Rolling Stone cover looking like "the Justin Beiber of Terrorists".
He addressed Hartford, telling us not to blame Hartford: some folks were a little too drunk, and Dave wasn't in the mood to deal with them - perfect storm for a meltdown. I liked the way he took responsibility for his part. (all the roadies wore t-shirts saying F@#*# Hartford, by the way)
The only thing that would have made the night complete would have been to see them afterwards, but because they end an hour before the end of the show, they were long gone. But all in all a gloriously awesome night!!! (still wish I had photos! :x )
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:28 pm

:yay: Yay, there were a couple of brave souls who got a few images. I can't imagine that the photos from the rear were from anyone but backstage staff - I was opposite from them, and no one sat that far behind them that I saw. I'm just so glad that there were a few shots of them! :biggrin:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Awwwww...yeah. Sounds absolutely wonderful. Thank you so very much for the recap.

And Jemaine looks so cute with the shorter haircut and clean shaveness with sideburns (saw another pic in this forum) - just how I like him. I fancy to think he's doing that look just for me because it's a grooming combo I've been waiting for :thumb:
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 pm

:yay: Thanks so much for the excellent recap, Nancy! I'm so glad you got to witness the show from an excellent seat. 8) They seem to be having a lot of fun playing around with the screen during Father and Son during each show. :lol:

I'm sorry that you missed out on the Flashdance. When it comes to merch, hopefully it will be available online soon after the tour if you're still interested in buying some.

Nancy wrote:Chat about the no cameras ending with a warning - "if you take out your cellphone, we'll take instant dick pics and send them to your Fathers, and they'll dissolve in tin seconds so you'll never get to see them, but your Fathers will!"

Interesting deterrent. :lol:
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:57 am

I forgot about J being Bad Dawg, lol! :clap: And I love the camera warning, too- good lord, that's not much of a deterrent at all, eh?! :lol:

Bummer about not finding the merch- it was in a super-small space at ours and set on an end- I almost missed it myself. I'm sure you can get what you want online- and probably more than what was offered.

It sounds like you got an excellent show! Could you see Jemaine clearly or did you stare at the screen a lot? I couldn't get over how incredibly clear and perfect the screen's images were- thank goodness! I got out my binocs once and went 'meh.' :D

And they seem to be venturing out into the crowd little bit by bit...they didn't come out into ours at all...J just held a woman's hand and B reached for a guard. :lol:

How I miss all of the Sugalumps videos and the expectations of what could happen at the end of each show!

And Jemaine looks so cute with the shorter haircut and clean shaveness with sideburns (saw another pic in this forum) - just how I like him. I fancy to think he's doing that look just for me because it's a grooming combo I've been waiting for :thumb:

He probably is, SA. :) Now I have to go look at him some more.... :drool:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 am

I thought of you all, because the Jumbotron on Jemaine's side was almost within my reach. Imagine that HUGE image of Jemaine right near my seat, so close I could amost TOUCH IT!!!! :shock:

I really watched them live more than the screens, which were in my sightlines when I watched Bret, so I did see a lot on the screens, and boy were those images huge and clear!!! :drool:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival 2013!”