Muppets Most Wanted

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Muppets Most Wanted

Postby LauraK » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:24 pm

Interview with James Bobin and Bret-

http://screencrave.com/2014-03-20/inter ... ts-wanted/

Thanks to Venus, who posted this on the WTF Facebook page...OMG- my Bretero tendencies are emerging again! This song is fabulous! And it's Conchord-ey! :lalala: :love: :heartbeat: :lalala:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/44ecad ... -in-malibu

You want a satin pillow? I'll give it to you. You want an armadillo? I'll give it to you. You want a diamond ring? I'll give it to you. You want a thingy-thing? I'll give it to you. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:48 pm

I posted the music video and interviews in here too, on the previous page a couple of posts before your post, Laura. :)

I agree, I LOVE the song and video and it is very Conchord-y! It's definitely got Bret's style all over it. I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet so I can't wait to hear more. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Love it! :clap:

Isn't it ironic that Bret sings about a cockatoo, and in Rio Jemaine plays a.... heh, heh. :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Haha, I was thinking the same thing Nancy! :lol:
&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 pm

And so timely! Rio 2 is showing previews (Jemaine's bits look great!), as the second Muppets movie is coming out.
Our boys certainly are involved with successful enterprises. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Oops- I swore I looked hard, lol... Sorry!

I need to get this CD. Here's the only review on Amazon for it...

I’m really enjoying this CD from the newest Muppets film. . The music is fun and the styles are all over the place.

Here are a few facts you might want to know:
Instead of mixing in the “orchestral score” by Christophe Beck (responsible for “Frozen”’s ST, the CD mixes the 12 new songs (most, not all were written by Brett McKenzie) with three “covers” recorded separately, including Maroon 5’s “Moves Like Jagger” and the Allan Toussaint composition (Lee Dorsey hit) “Working In A Coal Mine”, with short pieces of dialog. This is followed by the “Muppets Most Wanted Score Suite which runs just over three minutes (alert to “score collectors”.) My favorite track is the first “vocal” track on the album, - “We’re Doing A Sequel”. It’s catchy and will keep coming back to you a day or two after hearing it.

As for the “special appearances” by some celebrities, only Tina Fey gets a full song and Ricky Gervais gets half of one. Tony Bennett gets – ready? – THREE words in the only song he is in and Lady Gaga (in the same song) gets two more words than Tony! Josh Grobman shows up in two other songs with two lines each time. And Celine Dion gets to duet with Miss Piggy (really!) but only on the chorus to their duet. So don’t get this for those appearances.
I really like the “bonus tracks”. All are performed by McKenzie, but they are fully fleshed out with other singers on the four “demos”. What’s nice in the demos is that you can – usually – hear the clever lyrics than in the fully illustrated versions. The 5th “bonus” is an “outtake” – “What You Want”.

The CD includes a 24-page booklet that includes the lyrics to all the NEW songs. This is really helpful since you will probably miss some of the great puns in McKenzie’s lyrics. I will say, however, that the idea of printing some of this info in bright GREEN type (yes, I know Kermit is green) will only make you reach for a magnifying glass to read those words.

There is literally something for everyone in this 51-minute CD.

There’s some fun humor here and if you liked the previous Muppet soundtracks you’ll like this. The film hits theaters next Friday (March 21, 2014) and I was hoping for a press preview here in Philly but none were scheduled in the city so I can’t tell you much about that or how the songs fit into the plot. In the official press release to the Soundtrack McKenzie states that "the songs are all plot specific" so they might make more sense after you see the film.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
“Anything Phonographic”
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Oh Hey! We can listen to bits here: http://www.amazon.com/Muppets-Wanted-Or ... ng_title_0

:D

:shock:
He really does do a great Piggy!
ImageImage

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Holy moly!!! I just have to say.... I just downloaded the album this morning from iTunes, just NOW.... And if that pic of Bret at the piano with the disco scene is going with the song "I'll get you want you want" I am going to DIE when I that clip is released!!!!

OMFG!!! Bret's demo version.... If u have a heart monitor, put it on before u listen to it and if your heart rate doesn't go crazy, I'll be amazed!!! It's veeeery good ;-)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 pm

gibbs! Watch the video!
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:58 pm

lol, no problem Laura!

The soundtrack is available on iTunes and can also be streamed on Spotify in countries where it has been released. Even though I could probably track down all the songs, I've decided to wait until next week to listen to the full soundtrack when it's released over here. :)

Yes gibbs read the previous posts because the video has been released! I'm sure you'll love it too and please try to stay alive. ;)
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:01 am

please try to stay alive. ;)

Yes...you may want your boys close by with a defibrillator... 8) :drool:
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:41 am

Wait, I thought Bret said the lyric about Godfather III was cut in We're Doing a Sequel? :puzzled:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:46 pm

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: Saw the video online tonight!!! Preeeeety sure my heart stopped (or at the very least missed a few beats!)

I shared 'we're doing a sequel' with the kids at school today and one of our beautiful new little Prep girls (non-verbal, autism) was dancing around the classroom as the older (year 3 and 4) kids were clapping and cheering for her and dancing as well. By the end of the song they were all singing along!! It's such a catchy song. That and he really brings out the best in people.

I absolutely LOVE every single Conchords song, but I must say I think Bret has well and truly found his true calling!!! He is writing the most incredibly, perfectly, muppetised songs. Jim Henson would be very impressed I'm sure!!

We watched the video interview of Bret talking about doing voices last night and after listening today, I don't know why he says he's not that good at them... he's awesome.

I can't wait to show the kids the film clip on Monday!!! I have been keeping them up-to-date with Muppet related news. I don't know if their parents will appreciate the apparent 'marketing' but I'll do anything to put Bret up on the projector. Kids love Muppets so it's a win-win situation :)

Going to watch the clip again now!!!! :prayer: :prayer:

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Happy to hear you're still alive, gibbs! ;) Bret is certainly in his element as the music supervisor of these Muppets movies. :nod:

Aww, I'm glad to hear the kids at school loved "We're Doing a Sequel". Must be a wonderful sight seeing them really getting into his songs. Keep us updated on how they react to "I'll Get You What You Want". I'm sure they'll have lots of fun singing and dancing along to it too! :D

Nerdist: Bret McKenzie on Writing Music for MUPPETS MOST WANTED

Movie Fanatic interview with James

Jemaine talking about many things including Muppets Most Wanted and why he turned down writing songs for The Muppets- also cross posted in the What We Do in the Shadows thread.

'Muppets Most Wanted': Bret McKenzie wants more 'Muppet Show', 'Flight of the Conchords' is a different story

Disney Examiner:
&

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:14 am

So I'm the first to post about the movie? Yep, saw it today with Seth and younger daughter. Very fun listening for Bret influences. "I'll Get You What you Want," is my personal favorite. Very catchy tune. Very McKenziesque! At the end we watched the credits and applauded and did our happy dances when we saw Bret as the writer of most songs and director of music.Two different credits. I don't know if I got those right exactly, but I'm sure you can check online. We are very proud of our Bret!!

Now for Jemaine. I didn't realize he'd have so much screen time. He is in most scenes when they are at the Gulag. He's the Prison King at the Gulag where they keep Kermit locked up. He actually has lines and you see him dancing and singing quite a bit with Ray Liotta and Danny Trejo. He pretty much stayed in character and had an unhappy prisoner look on his face. Ray Liotta and Danny Trejo smiled, out of character, here and there. It would have been nice to see Jemaine smile, but what-ja-gonna do?

Congratulations to Bret and Jemaine!

Return to “Bret McKenzie”