HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:28 pm

With the first episode of season two now available online, I figured I'd start this thread for discussion of the actual episode.

Please keep plot lines, etc., here so that anyone wanting to avoid spoilers if they haven't seen the episode can just avoid this thread.

As I'm one of those people who wants to avoid spoilers and may have to wait a bit to see the episodes once they start airing on HBO, I may get particularly nasty if anyone places spoilers elsewhere. Don't make me go hardcore moderator on you! :suckers:

Now chat on! :D
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two

Postby dangerous person » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:47 pm

:prayer:
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:53 pm

First of all, I am so freaking happy to see these guys again! This made a crappy Wednesday better already. That episode was flipping fantastic! I loved Murray's song. :lol:

And the toothpaste jingle was genius. Totally watching that again on my lunch break. :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:56 pm

I couldn't catch alot of the lyrics of Murray's song. I'll have to listen again.

Some fave quotes:

"Why did I get double stuffed?" -Jemaine

"In The Pound, #37"- Murray

"Here are 2 guys who know exactly what women feel like." - Murray

"Put a woman in front of a weaving machine and just watch her go." -Jemaine.

Another highlight - Greg Proops - even though his role is so not funny compared to the BBC series that it breaks my heart. :(

All in all I liked it alot but not as much as the snippets of the BBC series it was from - damn, I knew that BBC series would ruin things for me. I'm sure it will get funnier the more I watch so more watching is definitely in order.
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:44 pm

I am so glad to see the show again! I can't wait to see it on a proper tv so I can catch all the lyrics to the genius Murray song, "Rejected". (loved the guys playing background strings!) I roared! :roll2:

I had high hopes for Greg Proops getting to do more of his BBC character, but it was still overall a well-thought-out episode. I liked the way the plot dealt with last season's ending, and resolved everything.

I thought we might see some of our forum people's puppets or sheep, but they did use dolls, though not as nice as the ones our folks made.

Loved the commercial "You're A Woman" - Femident! :rolls:

They're dealing again with important "issues" - illegal immigrants!

And Angels was well-used - wish I could have been in the backup choir!!! :sing:

All in all, well-written, well-thought-out, and good to see the gang and the guys together again! :thumb:

And Indy, though it will be hard not to blabber about it everywhere else, here is where the discussion shall stay. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Oh sweet Cheesus. Fake Grammy awards? Bret's lovingly woven trousers? Doll-clothing cut-outs in Jemaine's jacket? That'll do. That'll definitely do. Having the Flight of the Conchords back in my life made me so happy but yet so bittersweetly sad, all at the same time. Isn't that weird?

I should preface all remarks by saying that I really loved it. I thought it was genuinely terrific, with bucket(fountain)loads of the sly giggles that I adore so much. I'm so profoundly glad that HBO decided to go for another spin. I'm so glad everyone decided to clamber back on this pony. Brilliant. Smooth move, on all fronts.

Now for the sharp end: It struck me as being a good deal more laboured than we've seen before. Frankly, I don't fault them too much for that. There's likely to be a significantly more pressure following up a genius first season than there is when you're just starting out and nobody is expecting much. I'd wager this half-eaten gingerbread man (the bottom half, naturellement) that the springiness returns in the second or third episode. And if not, then it's curtains for this sad, topless gingerbread man. Poor naked gingery legs.

Like SheWolf, I thought that the great Greg Proops was slightly wasted here. I kept waiting for him to hit those moments of widdle-your-pants hilarity, but it didn't happen. Nice try, but no cigar. I can absolutely understand why Whambi was cut from the storyline (introducing a new character while they were focused on the Conchords/Murray discord would be totally useless and unnecessarily confusing), and I thought the toothpaste song was genuinely, ludicrously fantastic. But there were definitely moments when the timing was just ever-so-slightly off, the beats not falling as casually into place as they might have done.

All in all, a capital effort, though. Well worth the wait. Oh yes indeed. It's so good to have my boys doing their sweetly ridiculous thing again. Merry Christmas to ME!

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Val2150

Postby Val2150 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Turnip, you said almost exactly what I was thinking. I thought the whole thing was brilliantly done and still very slyly funny, which I love. I will say I wasn't thrilled with the use of Angels - it just seemed plopped into the storyline a bit awkwardly, which is something I think they managed to avoid last season. Also, Angels is just not my favorite of their songs, so my opinion is a bit biased. :)

And having watched it again, WOW to Murray's song - Rhys has sure got some pipes - who knew?

Also, maybe it's me but I thought it was nice to see the guys a bit more - animated, I guess? - than last season. Maybe "motivated" is a better word - I liked that they're standing up for themselves a bit now. :)

H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby H.... » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Loved it.

Greg Prrops was difinitely wasted here. SW, the BBC series has spoiled it for a bit too.

Femident was genius though. Can't wait for screen-caps. Jemaine looked fab, Bret looked cute. I'm slightly worried that it might not be as amateurish as the first series, something that made it endearing to me in the first place. :(
Throw us your potatoes!

Val2150

Postby Val2150 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Can I also say how thrilled I am that they threw in the whole Polish thing? Being a Pollack myself I thought it was quite funny. Though I'm pretty sure whatever they were saying in the "original music video" wasn't actually Polish. :lol:

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:11 pm

I liked the way the plot dealt with last season's ending, and resolved everything.

I thought we might see some of our forum people's puppets or sheep, but they did use dolls, though not as nice as the ones our folks made.

I had the same thoughts, Nancy. While I would have been fine if they'd totally ignored the end of last season and just went back to normal, I thought they did a good job of actually moving on while incorporating the end of last season. Overall, it worked well and stayed in line with how the characters developed last season.

I also was waiting for the "sheep" dolls when they were pulling out the dolls.

Bret's woven pants, the holes in Jemaine's jacket, the fake Grammys (such a great nod to reality!), the quick return of the library cushion -- brilliant!

Turnip said it well when discussing the shortcomings of the show, though. As many have pointed out, Greg Proops was sadly wasted, and some of the scenes just seemed slightly off -- a matter of timing or forcing. I'm hoping that this resolution episode got the difficulties out the way and that the rest of the episodes will flow better. I didn't mind the use of Angels in this way, but I thought the actual recording seemed to be lacking some of the energy of the Folk the World version. Once again, the familiarity with a certain version may be clouding my perception.

Still, all in all, I'm looking forward to watching it again and I suspect I'll be catching more and more of the subtle bits of humor that I've always enjoyed in their work.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Know what? I highly doubt that that's Rhys' voice once he goes outside and goes into that unbelievable tenor in "Rejected". I actually was hoping to find out who did the singing for him. Notice how his lip synching got so much more pronounced once the operatic tenor part came in? It's still a genius song. I loved it. :thumb:

I need to rewatch to see the timing and forcing matters - I was just so glad to see the guys again, I might have missed it first time around. One weird thing was seeing Jemaine looking so much like he did last season, short hair, sideburns, and all, when we all saw his hair get so long and scruffy this spring and summer. Loved Bret's assorted sweatshirts, and stripey sock! And Dave's "double down technique", especially when Jemaine tried to put it to use in the negotiation process! :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:27 am

Er can I just step in here Indy :)

Can we make each episode a new thread this season please :) I think its nicer and easier for everyone if they can just find an episode and go to the thread rather than one mammoth thread.

I'm editing the title of this thread to be for Episode 1, hope thats ok.

And not read it as no clue and waiting till I see it, so can be fresh to it.

Hope you all enjoyed it :)

And yeah, be sure to start new thread for episode two when it airs.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:04 am

I downloaded it and copied it so I've got a date with this disc and the big TV tonight - yis! Just to chime in with what you guys have already said:

- I also expected either the robot dolls or the sheep dolls to come out and was disappointed when they didn't but I'm sure those things were the inspiration for that scene, which is nice.

-I noticed the less ameutish thing immediately (as well as the fact that Jemaine somehow looked older all cleaned up than he does when scruffy) and it made me sad. I loved the look and feel of the first series. This episode seems to be shot on different film or something coz it lacks the visual vibrancy of the first season.

-I agree that that is definitely not Rhys' voice for part of the song. His own voice is actually pretty weak, like in "Leggy Blonde."

- The FTW version of Angels is so gosh darned gorgeous that I don't think I'll ever get enough of it. Comedy aside, just musically it's got to be one of my top 3 FOTC songs soooo....yeah, it's going to take quite a while for this new sucked the life out of it version to appeal to me completely.

- I agree with Turnip that the timing was slightly off in a few scenes and there was some awkwardness to some of those Murray, Jem & Bret scenes in the new office.

But all of these opinions are subject to change upon further viewing. :yawinkle:
90% evil
ImageImage

Lamppost
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Lamppost » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:17 am

"I particularly like one of you."

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:05 am

I loved the whole thing...loved it, loved it, loved it! Loved everything and am so darn grateful to have them back again....my boys....sigh.....my angels...
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

Return to “HBO TV series”