HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 2

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Re: HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 2

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:43 am

Spumony5000 wrote:Yes it is. Bret even says "I'm walking here!", like the movie.

I think it's impossible to live in Manhattan without saying "I'm walking here!" at some point.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:29 pm

halokiti wrote:Not having seen Midnight Cowboy myself, but I'm guessing this episode is a takeoff on that w/o the dire ending. Both are bad at prostituting and wear western inspired clothing.

Oh I didn't realize Jemaine's outfit in the later scenes was just like Joe Buck's. Kiti you should see Midnight Cowboy. It's really good and Ratzo Rizzo is heartbreaking.

PS Isn't it creepy how much Brad & Angelina's kid Shilo looks like Jon Voight when he was young?
90% evil
ImageImage

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:30 am

Amanda wrote:I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but i loved Jemaine's reference to the stubbies + cowboy hat outfit to attract the ladies :horny:

lol!!! I busted up laughing thinking about that thread in the Jemaine section. DH still has no idea what the heck I'm laughing so hard at in that part. Although, if he ever goes through my I-photo he could probably guess.

So...Oh wow! subforums! lol I've been wondering for a week now why there was no one actually discussing the show! Jeepers! How embarrassing! :oops:

I've watched this episode...er...more than I'll admit! :worry: No reason for that though... :whistle:

For some reason I thought Jemaine put a bag of carmel popcorn on the pillow. That's probably just fanciful thinking on my part, cause that's what I would like on my pillow! That or taffy. Taffy would be awesome! The nut loaf theory does make more sense, although that doesn't work as well in my warped little mind cause I'm allergic to nuts.... So I've decided it's officially taffy or carmel popcorn until absolutely proven wrong!

I'm going to have watch midnight cowboy now. Never seen it.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:48 am

deliriumtree wrote:So...Oh wow! subforums! lol I've been wondering for a week now why there was no one actually discussing the show! Jeepers! How embarrassing! :oops:

I'm going to have watch midnight cowboy now. Never seen it.

Yes, I thought the HBO show merited its own forum as there is so much people want to discuss, it'd get lost on the main Conchords forum.

And Midnight Cowboy is a classic. Great film.

Actually I wonder how they went with their story lines this year. Having more freedom in a way as they could write songs to fit the episode. The Midnight Cowboy reference is great.

Makes me wonder what other movies might get a nod. And who chose them. I'm not sure I can picture Bret having seen Midnight Cowboy somehow, but Jemaine and James, defo.

I've not seen this episode yet btw :P Just nosing round the thread :)

hellomyfriend
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby hellomyfriend » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:38 am

Sherry wrote:... I'm not sure I can picture Bret having seen Midnight Cowboy somehow, but Jemaine and James, defo. ...

You're breaking my film-geeking, Bret-loving heart. :tears: :tears: :tears: I want to believe that Bret has seen and loved all of my favorite movies. I already know Jemaine has, but he's not the one I fantasize about holding hands in the theatre with. :smiles:

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:31 am

hellomyfriend wrote:
Sherry wrote:... I'm not sure I can picture Bret having seen Midnight Cowboy somehow, but Jemaine and James, defo. ...

You're breaking my film-geeking, Bret-loving heart. :tears: :tears: :tears: I want to believe that Bret has seen and loved all of my favorite movies. I already know Jemaine has, but he's not the one I fantasize about holding hands in the theatre with. :smiles:

Hee! Sherry, I think you're right - Bret was probably lying on his back on his bedroom floor listening to Brown Sugar while Jemaine and James spent their formative years glued to classic '70s movies on the goggle box late at night. It just feels right, doesn't it? Bret's always just seemed too distracted by his deep love of good tunes to have developed an encyclopaedic knowledge of movies.

But Hello, it's okay! Really! See, you can fantasize about taking Bret to see those great films yourself. You can educate the boy. It'll be great. And then you can lure him back to your flat and re-enact Last Tango in Paris with frenzied clothes-ripping, butter-smearing joy. Or, like you say, hold hands. Whatever you prefer. :wink:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:29 pm

You know, after the initial shock wears off (or "delight" for the ladies), the episode is much better on repeat viewings and the songs work very well on their own. I stuck them on my mp3 player to help me get through working the night shift all last week. :supz:

hellomyfriend

Postby hellomyfriend » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:33 am

ASmallTurnip wrote: ... butter-smearing ...

I hope Bret will be a bit more careful with that butter than Mr. Brando was. :shock:

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:13 am

hellomyfriend wrote:
ASmallTurnip wrote: ... butter-smearing ...

I hope Bret will be a bit more careful with that butter than Mr. Brando was. :shock:

Hee! I love that floating "... butter-smearing ..." thought bubble up there, Hello. I'm kind of mesmerised by it and can't quite move past that particular fevered daydream. Butterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....................

**Tries desperately to think about anything, anything but Bret and a stick of slippery, melting butter.**

**FAILS.**

Hey, how 'bout those superstraws!

Awesome! I'd totally pay at least $1.50 for one of those babies.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:19 am

I know TV mentioned this before, but the elevator scene with Eugene, and Jemaine's "taken aback" reaction face just crack me up!

Also, both of the guys' uneasily "massaging" Mel and looking at Doug. :roll2: Great work!! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 am

Actually, I believe Bret is more into margarine, rather than butter. :lol:

Nancy, the elevator scene with Jemaine and Eugene really is fantastic in its awkward creepiness! Especially when you keep in mind the various comments he made in season one about showing a bit of arm or creeping into their room in the middle of the night ... :shock:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

WomanInThePark

Postby WomanInThePark » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:47 pm

I love the "you know how you said you were good at six?" scene, because Bret says he exaggerated due to Sally being present when Jemaine asked. Who asks whether someone is good at six when the sixmate is in the room?! That is just such a Jemaine thing to do.
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Superstraws: for people who need to drink from far away! :lol:

Who asks anybody if they're good at six? Hilarious.

I love this exchange:

Murray:Good news, the NZ consulate newletter's out.
Jemaine: Who cares?
Murray: You should care Jemaine.
Jemaine: Well I don't.
Murray: Should I read the music reviews section?
Jemaine: If you must.

And the way Jemaine looks when he says to Doug "I'm just patting her." :roll2:

I like this pic coz, not only does Jemaine look sixy but it looks like has a green ball on his head that matches his shirt. :D
90% evil
ImageImage

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:57 pm

I cant believe its Sunday again!

More FotC :rock:

WomanInThePark

Postby WomanInThePark » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm

But what about the super bowl?!!!
Just go ahead and win, Pittsburgh! I want my FotC!
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

Return to “HBO TV series”