HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 4

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Jilly
Lost but happy at sea

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 4

Postby Jilly » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 pm

The last couple of episodes, especially, have been great big Valentine's Day cards for the fans. So sweet! Though I really hope that the fan stuff dramatized in the show doesn't lead to -- ahem -- over-the-top fan antics. Because there are some weirdos out there, though I personally have never encountered any of them, and certainly not amongst the WTFers!

I loved the Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch/NYC clock bit -- though my complete inability to tell time made it seem funnier than it actually was.

Jim the friend was great, and Greg's line "I like to think that we're friends" just oozed pathos.

And the play fort was great. I make forts all the time with my kids. What was the term they used for fort?

Oh, and Murray's recounting of his army exploits. Drinking urine because they were really drunk.

And I have to imagine that "How would you like a taste of your own d*ck medicine?" had to be improvised by Rhys Darby.

Not sure if I liked ep 3 or 4 best. Definitely better than ep 2. (Sorry, ladies. I happen to be pregnant and when I'm pregnant I become a very ardent feminist. So I saw "Sugalumps" and the prostitution story line as social commentary on the objectification and exploitation of women. Which kinda killed the funny buzz, ya know?)

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 pm

And the play fort was great. I make forts all the time with my kids. What was the term they used for fort?

The other word for fort that was used was "bivouac".
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Rhys had another very funny line last night, but darnit I've slept since then and I can't remember it now. It was when they had the table tennis set up on his desk. I'm definitely watching this episode again tonight, and will make note of the quote. It cracked me up.

Mel's dream sequence was great, and again, so much was in the montage that I need to watch it at least another 2-3 times. I'd love to know what horrific offense Dream Bret committed. :whistle:

TV-Jemaine is a bit racier with his language this season. It must be NYC rubbing off on him. :D

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Agreed that episode two is still the best, but these had some amazing moments, many I didn't get the first time around...

Jemaine licking his lips 3.5 times in the first scene alone. Not an amazing moment per se, but really obvious in this episode.

Bret's miserable/pouty/confused face for pretty much the entirety of the 'friends' discussion.

Murray's apron has New Zealand on it. Bret drinking orange juice in the elevator. The return of the special project, the hair helmet. Slow Rock the Party. The exer-cycle.

Mel's song. Agreed that the work that went into it was insane! I am glad she debuted her singing career in such a grand style. She just has the most amazing ability to pull off the crazy fan stuff without being creepy. Kudos to Kristen Schaal.

And the best line of the night:
"Let's have a look at the friend agenda.... the afrienda."- Murray.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 pm

cassandrasnow wrote:http://whatthefolk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1425&p=26469&hilit=+dream#p26469

Here it is.

Newbies are never lowly. :)

Thanks, cassandra!

WomanInThePark

Postby WomanInThePark » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 pm

Personally I wasn't really a fan of either of the songs. I liked Mel's line about how all her teeth fall out, which made me giggle uncontrollably for some reason. Now that I know the story behind the dream it seems pretty cool. How do they know all this? Are there HBO spies inside WTF? :worry:
Otherwise, I was madly in lurve with slow who likes to rock the party. I do hope that's on the new album. :D
Jim was hilarious too. I was laughing through his entire scene.
I'd rank this season's episodes from best to worst 2 3 4 1. If only Murray would make a graph for me!
Oh, I also like the part about how they were strangers. "By the way I'm Murray Hewwit."
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:07 am

Hmm... I don't know I saw "Sugalumps" as being very feminist. If you think about the gazillion and twelve songs about lady junk and lady buisness, it seemed fair to finally have a song about some boy business. I now demand more songs objectifying men! But, now at least there's one song about boy junk and that's a step in the right direction! Just my opinion but maybe it helps?

I liked this episode a lot! :D I'll be watching again sometime this week most likely! The elevator gig was priceless! What was that about a gig in a raft? lol How does that work?! That dream sequence was very complicated and deserves another look over. Too much going on for my senile little self to take it all in at once. I know there's more in this episode I really liked, but I have the memory of an aging fruit fly so I'll end here so no one will catch on. :worry:

(The nice thing is though I can watch things over and over and still be surprised!)
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:33 am

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority as I really didn't care much for this episode. I actually walked away at one point to go get ready for work, and that's never happened before. Normally I'm glued to the TV (or computer) trying to catch every subtle reference or mumbly line, but this time I was bored. I did get some sporadic laughs and there's still no such thing as a bad FOTC episode.

I liked the following things: Mel's song, especially the part about her teeth falling out. I've had dreams where that's happened myself. The bit with Mel's dreams also rang true to life - sometimes I have dreams where people I know make me mad, and literally seconds after waking up, I call that person and berate them. The return of Bret's bike helmet. Mel's cookies. "Who Likes to Rock the Party", extra slow.

I disliked the following things: The Jim character, while fairly realistic and similar to people I know, was annoying. (And I say that as a big Jim Gaffigan fan.) The tired "Friends" routine. The whole karate bit. Jemaine's constant use of the word "dick". The "Friends" song didn't really hook me either.

It's funny, last week there was too much plot. This week, there wasn't enough. Almost nothing happened. Why didn't the guys point out to Murray that his friend was really obnoxious, or that you don't need a chart to show your friendship, or do something?

We'll see how this one holds up on repeat viewings.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:53 pm

I must admit, I'm not feeling the love for this episode. I'm not sure why specifically; just an overall, meh.

I wasn't crazy about Mel's song, but I did get a kick out of the whole dream thing. I knew that sounded familiar! :lol: It was funny to see the cookies, too. The friends song was ok and had some good bits in it, and I did like the heard-but-not-seen tai kwan do bit. Mel getting her revenge for the awful things Bret did (in her dreams). I liked Bret's bit about how he should have apologized in the dream and eventually apologized for his dream self.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:11 pm

As is usual with me when I first watched it I was "huh?" and "uh...when does this get funny?" but it improved greatly upon 2nd viewing. There are some excellent one liners, I liked the fort and Murray's army stories and loved the slow Rock The Party. I even liked Jim who completely perplexed me the first time around. The thing about making Bret apologize for something in Mel's dream felt like a bad SNL skit to me. I read that it was based on something from Friends (as opposed to something fan related) but having never watched Friends I can't vouch for that.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:17 pm

deliriumtree wrote:Hmm... I don't know I saw "Sugalumps" as being very feminist. If you think about the gazillion and twelve songs about lady junk and lady buisness, it seemed fair to finally have a song about some boy business. I now demand more songs objectifying men! But, now at least there's one song about boy junk and that's a step in the right direction! Just my opinion but maybe it helps?
I don't know that I would say it's feminist but I know what you mean. I find that kind of role reversal pro woman actually.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:21 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:Jemaine licking his lips 3.5 times in the first scene alone. Not an amazing moment per se, but really obvious in this episode.
Did he? Jeesh someone get that boy some chapstick STAT. Or maybe it's just nervous thing, like when my hair is down I can't quit playing with it and I annoy myself that I can't stop. He probaby doesn't realize he's doing it.

How about the pouty faces they both made when Murray told them to get out of his office? Cute!
90% evil
ImageImage

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm with you SW, I liked it a lot better the second time around, Jim seemed a lot less....creepy, I guess. I still think the plot was bit too nebulous this time - I realize the major point of the show is not the plot (sort of like Seinfeld, about "nothing"), but this episode needed something a little more concrete to tie it all together. Then again though, I think every episode is like this, it needs to be seen multiple times to catch all the little things that make it so funny.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:39 pm

I was surprised by how many things that I thought were dumb the first time were actually jokes, that I got and liked the 2nd time. Guess I'm slow. I liked that the red button down short sleeved shirt Jemaine wears looks exactly like one I got last year that reminded me of something Jemaine would wear. :lol:
With the exception of the prostitue ep these songs, sadly, are fairly forgettable and while Mel's was cute (I guess) it felt out of place to me. I'd prefer that they keep the songs to Bret & Jemaine and quit having everyone else join in.

The preview for next week's ep looks good.
90% evil
ImageImage

JulesJules

Postby JulesJules » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 pm

JulesJules wrote:Rhys had another very funny line last night, but darnit I've slept since then and I can't remember it now. It was when they had the table tennis set up on his desk. I'm definitely watching this episode again tonight, and will make note of the quote. It cracked me up.

Mel's dream sequence was great, and again, so much was in the montage that I need to watch it at least another 2-3 times. I'd love to know what horrific offense Dream Bret committed. :whistle:

TV-Jemaine is a bit racier with his language this season. It must be NYC rubbing off on him. :D

"This is a work space, not a rec center for the misguided!"

I thought that was very funny.

I liked this episode better after watching it a second time, but enjoyed it plenty the first time.

Return to “HBO TV series”