HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two- Ep 9

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
kellysouthpaw

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two- Ep 9

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:17 am

Emafer wrote:
SheWolf wrote:No they just played Freaky (over the regular credits) with some different lyrics. I believe dandy posted all the lyrics including the ones for the end bit.

ohhhh thanks goodness, I thought I missed more video like what Kelly was talking about.

Nope, I'm just an idiot :)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:20 am

Absolutely not, Kelly! :hrmpf:

Isn't your nickname Miss KellySouthpawSmartypants? :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:23 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Absolutely not, Kelly! :hrmpf:

Isn't your nickname Miss KellySouthpawSmartypants? :wink:

Erm, something like that! :) Thanks Nancy, I'm glad someone has faith in my intellect! :lol:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:37 am

:nod: :nod: :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:48 am

This was a "good but not great" or "three-star" episode. I would have posted my thoughts earlier, but I like to watch the show twice before I make any hasty judgments. I'm also surprised (and frankly relieved) that this thread wasn't plastered with giant HD-quality screencaps of Bret covered in honey and money. :)

I liked the following things:

[*] I really enjoyed the first song whose title I don't know yet. It started so close to the beginning of the show (43 seconds in!) that it kind of took me by surprise. It seemed like a throwback to their earlier days - just two guys and their guitars, bantering back and forth. With all the elaborate music videos we've seen lately, it was nice to see something simple for a change. I wouldn't be surprised to see them perform it live.

[*] And on the subject of the song, it was nice to get a tour of their whole apartment for once. Kudos to the set designers for making the place look believably run-down yet homey. And the punchline with Eugene in the shower was creepily brilliant.

[*] The cheap zoo? Budget bears? :rolls:

[*] Is Dave getting dumber by the day?

[*] Bret, wearing the stripey jersey, his Back to the Future life preserver, a kilt, an old iPod, and the socks he's apparently been wearing all season? There aren't enough ROFL smileys in the world...

[*] I really sympathized with Bret here - while I wouldn't dig in someone's trash to find information, I do understand the need to know as much as possible about a girl before making a move. (But I would never ask Mel for advice...) Savannah (sp?) seemed like a nice match for him too, she reminded me of Coco from last season.

[*] The return of John the mugger, the "Hamburglar" comment, the "pro bono" joke, and the fact that they left him in jail. (And did Savannah ever get her purse back?)

[*] Jemaine's crying after being pepper sprayed was hysterical. I've been sprayed with pepper spray before (accidentally!) and my reaction was not so comical.

[*] I liked that this time out, they basically admitted that the guys' ideas came from sitcoms, and the routine of the unnecessary band meeting. I've been kind of iffy on the sitcom-y plots this season, but the idea that these guys from New Zealand would look to American television for ideas makes a great deal of sense.

I disliked the following things:

[*] Murray's been meaner to Greg this season and I don't like it. :hrmpf: The whole side plot with Murray trying to make nice with Greg was my least favorite part of the show.

[*] So Bret went to the pet store 21 times and bought fish? No wonder they're broke...

[*] Does Jemaine really work for Murray or was he just making that up? Jemaine's never held a job that we know of, and that's always bugged me. We may not see Bret at his sign-holding job, but it's at least been *mentioned*, and that's all I ask.

[*] They actually did a pretty good job of translating "Freaky" to the screen. I wasn't a huge fan of the song when I saw it live but that was mostly because I couldn't understand half the lyrics. It was catchy, though. In the show, I understood everything just fine, but the tempo seemed too slow. I missed the "Freakiocity" part. And the visual gag of Savannah on the wall was fine for the wacky music video but made no sense in reality, and got the following reaction from me: :eh:

Well, one more to go. Then the dark times begin...

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:23 am

I was thinking that Murray made that up to save Jemaine from jail. But you do bring up a very good point, we don't know what Jemaine does outside of the band except for that time he was a bit of a part time prostitute.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Bad Atom wrote:This was a "good but not great" or "three-star" episode. I would have posted my thoughts earlier, but I like to watch the show twice before I make any hasty judgments. I'm also surprised (and frankly relieved) that this thread wasn't plastered with giant HD-quality screencaps of Bret covered in honey and money. :)

O don't worry I am sure they will appear somewhere on the forum. But safely hidden over in the Bret section methinks :lol:

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The Talking Stove » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:07 pm

Bad Atom wrote:[*] So Bret went to the pet store 21 times and bought fish? No wonder they're broke...

Goldfish are very cheap, especially the non-fancy version Bret was buying.

Bret's unstoppable animal jumper buying would be more of a problem, I reckon!
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:34 am

OK, I LOVE that Bret had on the stripey sweater with the kilt! AND he had on the "Rap Dancin'" t-shirt. Just in general I LOVE that they wear the same clothes. I mean, when on Friends did any of the characters ever wear the same clothes? Never!

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 am

I was cracking up at Bret's first "Freaky" costume. The feathers, the turquoise neck piece, the sequins...it was like a vague representation of Quetzalcoatl with a little bit of Las Vegas showgirl thrown in for good measure. :roll2:

The walkie-talkies also had some really hilarious dialogue between Jemaine and Dave, although the latter's reiterating phone message of "tell her you're freaky" really made me laugh more.
Ditto with Eugene hiding in the shower, and Mel's comments on the guys (hopefully) spying on her, about it being an invasion of privacy. Well, it never stopped her before... :lol:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

ceebeecee
New arrival

Postby ceebeecee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:31 am

Loved this episode. There was just so much right with the first song. :D

Jemaine's whole bit during the mugging was outstanding.

Just a question:
When they were hiding behind the budget bears, the man behind them caught my attention. The picture is fuzzy (sorry about that) but does anyone else think the man bears a resemblance to Bret's dad? Maybe it's my imagination. Usually, I don't notice anyone else in the picture but as you can see, he was framed between the two of them.

Who is behind them.jpg
"When I saw you tonight I thought here's two men who know exactly what women feel like."

Val2150

Postby Val2150 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:57 am

I think that is Bret's dad - pretty sure someone around here confirmed that. :)

Also, I don't think the term "budget bears" will ever cease to crack me up. Where do they come up with this stuff? :lol:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

Spumony5000

Postby Spumony5000 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:52 am

Wow nice catch. I didn't even notice him in the background. I'm going to look for him when I watch this tomorrow.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:34 am

ceebeecee wrote:When they were hiding behind the budget bears, the man behind them caught my attention. The picture is fuzzy (sorry about that) but does anyone else think the man bears a resemblance to Bret's dad? Maybe it's my imagination. Usually, I don't notice anyone else in the picture but as you can see, he was framed between the two of them.

Wow! You're amazing! It is him! I totally didn't pick up on that. Please use your super-powers of observation and detection for good, not evil, Cee!

(Will "budget bears" ever NOT be funny? I don't think so.)

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:54 am

The Talking Stove wrote:
Bad Atom wrote:[*] So Bret went to the pet store 21 times and bought fish? No wonder they're broke...

Goldfish are very cheap, especially the non-fancy version Bret was buying.

Bret's unstoppable animal jumper buying would be more of a problem, I reckon!

I was thinking back to the $2.79 cup that bankrupted them. :) Although if they really were broke, I suppose they could eat the fish later on... you know, dip them in honey... :P

Return to “HBO TV series”