James Bobin Q&A - His replies to your questions

Bret and Jemaine or Jemaine and Bret answer your questions. Rhys/Brian also gets some webtime
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Re: James Bobin Q&A - His replies to your questions

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:13 am

I'm glad everyone else asked all the questions I would have asked so I didn't have to ask them. :)

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:52 am

mockingbird wrote:Wow! :prayer: Thanks so much Sherry, for organizing this, and thank you James for all the great answers! I LOVE that Jemaine actually has to be FRAMED OUT of scenes because he can't stop laughing! That made my day. :lol:

You guys all asked such great questions. I knew you would, that's why I didn't bother submitting any, although I do wish I could say "James kinda talked to me!!" :thud: Hee hee! And, someone should have told him how cute he is. :wink:

Most welcome :)

And ummm, maybe he'll read it himself so no one has to :P

:whistle:

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:02 am

mockingbird wrote:Maybe he'll come here to see how his answers were received. If so - hey James, you're a cutie pie!! :D Congrats on the new baby!

I think he already has :) He sent me a message to tell me he was glad people seem to have enjoyed his answers :)

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 am

I actually have many thoughts after reading JB's replies.

It kind of started a chain reaction :lol: and my mind is trying to put bits and pieces together. I shall try to compose a little something on it all when and if 10 month old hooligan (currently its 7.19am and he's been up since just before 6am and is now walking round waving a large wooden spoon and growling at everything) gives me a chance :lol:

I was so thrilled when I read them for the first time. I was so pleased for everyone who sent in Q's that you'd gotten such thoughtful answers and that really painted a picture about how it was to create an bring together the show. And some humour to boot.

I'm sorry I missed people in the chat. I see a few from here have been in. Alas I was sleeping. Attempting to sleep. Son has a grotty cold and a trail of snot like I've never seen before :lol: Where is the :puke: smiley when you need him eh :lol: And did his best to wake me a number of times in the night.

Now away to do stuff on this gorgeous spring day :)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:21 am

Sherry - as a mother of a 26 month old I can confidently say I know what it is like to feel like you have almost no time to really digest things. And also no time to keep hold of your sanity! Usually I can't even get on the Internet until my son is napping or gone to bed for the night.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Sherry wrote:
mockingbird wrote:Maybe he'll come here to see how his answers were received. If so - hey James, you're a cutie pie!! :D Congrats on the new baby!

I think he already has :) He sent me a message to tell me he was glad people seem to have enjoyed his answers :)

Awesome. :clap:

Sorry about the snotty baby, Sherry. Walking at 10 months, eh? Mine were the same way. They look so cute, tottering around like little wind up toys, getting into all your stuff. :lol: I am actually very impressed by your seemingly superhuman ability to run this website while taking care of a baby and presumably doing other things in your life as well, like showering and eating. :wink: There is no way I could have done it when my kids were that age. I thought I was accomplishing a lot if I went to the grocery store.

I'm looking forward to reading your chain reaction of thoughts.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:14 pm

:clap: Such a wonderfully insightful Q&A session! James is a legend answering all of those questions and going into so much detail too!

Sherry wrote:Val asks - How often did they have to do multiple takes because someone just couldn't stop laughing? And who's worse at laughing and flubbing up lines, Bret or Jemaine?
Erm. Yep. All the time. And and b.Without doubt Jemaine. He laughs and ruins multiple takes so much so that I often have to frame him out of shots as he cannot stop laughing – especially when Rhys is involved. Bret is far more professional…

Haha I knew Jemaine was a giggler! You can tell sometimes by the way he's smiling in particular scenes. :lol: They're all great actors though, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face myself!

Any bloopers/behind the scenes stuff in the S2 DVD?
Yes. I’m going to put on the gag reel we showed at our wrap party in December – HBO approval pending. But we’re trying. Am very conscious that the last DVD had nothing on it because of its rush release for the Christmas market so this time we are trying to do more – we are also including deleted scenes. We’re not sure about a commentary as B and J are too busy finishing the album. We’ll see.

Yes!!!

Suzanne (a.k.a. SuzyBatt) asks - Taking into account that everything on the show is done in an extreme tongue-in-cheek fashion, how much of their increasing sex appeal among female fans informs the writing of the show? In season two I've noticed several more instances where Jemaine is practically objectified, the best one being in in New Cup. I wonder if this kind of scenario is purely poking fun at Jemaine's growing sex appeal, or if somewhere in the background the network is actually pushing for this to help increase viewership? Or it is just that Jemaine is really comfortable with his body, and just likes putting it out there!?!
That’s a long question! With a pretty short answer….certainly it wasn’t a conscious decision to increase the ‘sexual’ nature of the character of Jemaine. I think it’s just that some of the ideas we had for the second season were slightly darker than those of the first. Certainly doesn’t come from HBO who are incredibly hands off when it comes to the show and who only really pass comment at each stage of writing/shooting/editing with suggestions rather than directives.

Thanks for asking that question SuzyBatt, I was wondering the same thing myself :lol:..the same goes for most of the questions actually!

Wondering how your collective writing process works. Can you tell us about how the three of you work together, especially in the earlier stages of brainstorming? How thoroughly do you sketch out storylines before you pass them on to the other writers? Out of the three of you, who procrastinates the most? And who makes the best cup of tea?
See above. For me, B and J it’s mostly watching YouTube videos and trying to make each other laugh. The ‘brainstorming’ is a very random process of literally coming up with everything you can think of. It involves a lot of walking around, having long tea breaks and thinking at home etc. It’s not really a day job at all – more like a part of your brain which is permanently switched to ‘on’. We all procrastinate to a certain degree but I’m the one most aware of our time table so I suppose I do it the least…Bret makes the best tea.

As a fellow tea-lover, I'd relish the opportunity to have a tea-party with Bret ;)

What are the parts of the show that you most enjoy directing? Do you have a tender soft spot for any particular scenes or gags that didn't make it to the final edit (or even the final script)? And what bits do you dread directing? Is it the parts where Bret has to dance and sing at the same time? It is, isn't it? Go on, you can tell us. We're very discreet.
There’s no particular part of the show I like shooting more than others. They all have different appeal to me…most scenes that didn’t make it don’t make it because they’re not as good as the scenes we put in the final cut (as you’ll hear every director say on every DVD commentary of everything you ever see..) but there are genuinely times when there is no room for a scene which we then cut purely because we have too much story. In season 2 there is a scene between Bret and Eddie, his boss at the sign company that I really liked in TOUGH BRETS but we didn’t have time to include it. It will be on the DVD though I think. In fact most of the deleted scenes on the DVD have an element of that time pressure to them.

Yay, I'm really looking forward to the DVD release over here knowing that as well as the absolutely legendary episodes, there'll be a gag reel, deleted scenes etc :D

What's up next for you? Are there any particular projects that you'd like to get the chance to do now? Where should we be keeping an eye out for our favourite Third Conchord?
My wife is having our second child in 2 weeks. I’ve nothing planned after that for a while other than helping out at home. I need some time off…

If James does happen to be reading this, congrats on the baby and enjoy your well deserved time off!

Who came up with the idea of mirror-ball codpieces? Where can I get one? Will they be releasing a line of them? Are the originals for sale?
Michel did. I don’t think HBO have any plans to mass produce them. I suspect Dan Butts our production designer still has them. He may well be using them at home. I don’t know.

Hahaha! :lol:

dandy asks - Who comes up with all the New Zealand Tourism posters? The ones this season are great! I look forward to spotting the new one each episode.
Me, B and J. We asked for submissions from some of our writers this year and so I think we may have used a couple of those. And I think Dan, our designer, came up with one this year but I forget which one. Sorry…

Love these posters too, good stuff :)

In Episode One, who sang the operatic tenor part to Murray's song, "Rejected"
To be honest I don’t know the guys name (I think this is on the web somewhere) but it was someone who was a friend of a friend on the crew who is apparently an up and coming tenor in New York. I was really pleased as to how he sounded though as you could almost imagine it was Rhys. PS. For people who think it is Rhys – yes it is Rhys. Don’t stop believin’.

Eh? My dreams were crushed and then came back again within a matter of seconds whilst reading that ;)

Asked by any number of people - Will there be a Season 3?
?

Tease ;)

Excellent job James and Sherry! Thanks so much! :prayer:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:40 am

Ahh! Fantastic replies!! (great questions too!) Thanks to James for taking the time! *high five* :thumb:
And thanks to Sherry for organising it all ;)

ETA:

‘Inner City Pressure’ was originally a Grand Master Flash style song but I had the idea of Pet Shop Boys style English rap as it felt very apt and I knew they were both very good at doing English accents. I’m still not sure a lot of people who watch that one get they are both doing excellent English accents as the NZ/English singing voice can sound very similar.

SO glad he mentioned this! My sister asked why I was singing along to this song in an English accent ('caus they are, d'uh!) She said "aren't they from New Zealand?" ..."yeah" ... "so they're singing in NZ accents." Now I have proof! Yusss!
I don't think she cares much for the Conchords... sometimes I find it hard to believe we're related.
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:19 am

Sherry, you rock. Thanks for doing all that you do here on this fantastic site, and thanks to James for taking the time to give such excellent replies to all the great questions! Reading this was both enlightening and hilarious! :D

Even though I am veryvery late to the FotC party, I feel lucky to have joined in when I did while there is still so much more to come. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

yvettiefred
Giving the paper to the people

Postby yvettiefred » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:29 pm

And who makes the best cup of tea?

Bret makes the best tea.

As a fellow tea-lover, I'd relish the opportunity to have a tea-party with Bret

No you have to have a tea party with Bret and his Nana!

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:51 pm

You guys - really great well thought out questions. :nod: Pulled a lot of very interesting info out of JB we otherwise would never have known. Thank you. How wonderful to be a part of WTF!
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:42 pm

awww, where's a group houg emoticon when you need one?
90% evil
ImageImage

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:14 pm

:yay: :thanks: Thank you so much James for answering everyone's questions in such a thoughtful and interesting way. :prayer:
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:45 am

yvettiefred wrote:
And who makes the best cup of tea?

Bret makes the best tea.

As a fellow tea-lover, I'd relish the opportunity to have a tea-party with Bret

No you have to have a tea party with Bret and his Nana!

Oh yes, how could I forget his Nana?! She must have taught him everything he knows! After all if there ain't no party like Bret's Nana's tea parties, they must be good :). Ah, I guess I can only dream of rockin' the tea party with both of them ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:21 am

I've finally been able to slap myself across the face and pull myself together enough to say:

James - if you're reading this, thank you. This was an amazingly kind thing to do. And you really didn't have to do it - you've probably got all kinds of things to do, and are likely dog-tired from all the endless hours of work that have gone into making and promoting this wonderful show. And yet you've done this lovely thing for a bunch of strangers on the internet who are, quite frankly, possibly mad as pants. It makes me genuinely laugh with pleasure to think that I've had the chance to ask James Bobin excessively long and involved questions, and he's answered them with such good-natured aplomb. You sir, are a gentleman, and I hope I get the chance to shake your hand someday. Maybe pinch your bum too, if you're very lucky, and I'm peed as a newt.*

Good luck with everything you do, and may your beautiful new baby sleep through the night and never try to swallow Lego. You deserve nothing less, my friend.

* I would never pinch your bum. Well, it's not very English, is it? Unless you're from Leeds.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Return to “Exclusive Q & A session with Flight of The Conchords”