Eugene Mirman

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Eugene Mirman

Postby poptartgirl » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:36 pm

tvldiva wrote:In case anyone is interested, Eugene is putting out a book called "The Will to Whateves", coming out in February. He is also doing a short book tour. I've included a link to his site- which is great. It looks like Todd Barry post on his site too.

http://eugenemirman.com/events-calendar
The Marvelous Crooning Child is great- click on the picture!!

So I assume that you know that he'll be appearing at Book People next week (Feb 17 at 7 pm)? :lol:
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Eugene has a show with Aziz Ansari and 2 other comics on March 17th in Austin at Emo's.

http://www.do512.com/event/2009/03/17/c ... oll-inside

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 pm

poptartgirl wrote:
tvldiva wrote:In case anyone is interested, Eugene is putting out a book called "The Will to Whateves", coming out in February. He is also doing a short book tour. I've included a link to his site- which is great. It looks like Todd Barry post on his site too.

http://eugenemirman.com/events-calendar
The Marvelous Crooning Child is great- click on the picture!!

So I assume that you know that he'll be appearing at Book People next week (Feb 17 at 7 pm)? :lol:

Oh yeah. It's been on my calendar for a few weeks now.
He actually listed twice on the SXSW band list. Once for just him and once with John Wesley Harding. I'm glad he's in town then but if he isn't at Red Eyed Fly- I try not to pay attention. It just makes me too sad. It's bad enough that I found out Andrew Bird is at Stubbs....bleurgh...
edit: I finally checked my calendar and this is before SXSW. YEAH!!!
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:46 pm

this just in... Day party before SXSW-
March 17

•Merge/ Sub Pop present Robert Pollard, Band of Horses, essex Green, Eugene Mirman, Patton Oswalt and more at Pok-E-Jo's (1 to 6 p.m.)

Of course, it doesn't say which Pok-e-jo's, so you may have to do a little calling around...

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:12 pm

I could be wrong but my guess is that the party will be at the Pok-e-Jo's location on W 5th St.

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:50 pm

poptartgirl wrote:I could be wrong but my guess is that the party will be at the Pok-e-Jo's location on W 5th St.

Unfortunately, that store lost out to the big bad condo fetish raging the nation. I think it was torn down a year or so ago. I know the guy who owns the Mean Eyed Cat and he's still around because he made a deal with the devil to stay were they are. I know it was a hard choice to make but it still erks me to no end. You should see the monstrosity they are building there. :hrmpf:
I'm hoping it will be at the one down south at Brodie Oaks, it's close to home! :whistle:

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:56 pm

EDIT- This is Saturday night's line up. I just saw Friday nights and it's amazing. See the post below this one.

Here's Eugene's official shows for SXSW and the line ups. He's actually playing two different venues but fortunately, they are right next to each other. The times are not set yet, but nothing ever is during SXSW.

Esther's Follies-
Todd Barry -- New York NY - Conjunto(I wonder if he knows what that is?? hehehe)
Martha Kelly -- Torrance CA - Comedy
Marc Maron -- Queens NY- Comedy
Eugene Mirman -- Brooklyn NY - Comedy
Matt Bearden -- Austin TX- Comedy
Tig Notaro -- Pass Christian MS - Comedy
Jon Lajoie -- Montreal QC- Comedy

The Velveeta Room-
Michelle Biloon -- Los Angeles CA - Comedy
Alex Koll -- San Francisco CA - Comedy
Hannibal Buress -- Chicago IL - Avant/Experimental
Martha Kelly -- Torrance CA - Comedy
Matt Bearden -- Austin TX- Comedy
Last edited by tvldiva on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:28 pm

I've put this under Eugene but the line is killer for some other great comedians also--Esther's is a comedy venue all year, does great skit comedy. The Velveeta room is a very small comedy club also. What a great place to see some of these guys. Nothing like a small, dark, crappy room for comedy!!

This is for Friday night, March 20th-
Esther's Follies-
Todd Barry -- New York NY - Conjunto
Janeane Garofalo -- Newton NJ -Comedy
John Mulaney -- New York NY - Comedy
Brendon Walsh-- Austin TX -Comedy
Dax Shepard -- Los Angeles CA -Comedy
Nick Kroll -- Rye CA - Comedy
Hannibal Buress -- Chicago IL -Avant/Experimental
Eric Krug -- Austin TX - Comedy
Marc Maron -- Queens NY -Comedy
Jon Lajoie -- Montreal QC -Comedy
Margaret Cho -- Los Angeles CA -Singer-Songwriter

Velveeta Room-
Matt Bearden -- Austin TX - Comedy
Alex Koll -- San Francisco -CA Comedy
Jon Lajoie -- Montreal QC - Comedy
Dax Shepard -- Los Angeles CA - Comedy
Nick Kroll -- Rye CA - Comedy
Margaret Cho -- Los Angeles CA -Singer-Songwriter
Hannibal Buress -- Chicago IL -Avant/Experimental
Brendon Walsh --- Austin TX -Comedy
Eric Krug -- Austin TX - Comedy
John Mulaney - New York NY -Comedy

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Interview with The Onion : http://austin.decider.com/articles/inte ... man,23870/

Eugene Mirman doesn’t need credentials to be an expert on life. Alleging to have lived through the Spanish-American War and Jerry Lee Lewis’ sex scandal, the comedy vet now channels his vast experience and knowledge into satirical self-help book, The Will To Whatevs: A Guide to Modern Life, which he reads from tonight at BookPeople. Armed with eccentric wit and charm, the Russian-born comedian offers compelling insights on contemporary living, from starting a band to high school social etiquette. Mirman recently spoke with Decider about the questions he tries to avoid, his fantasy automobile line, and the relationship between music and comedy.

Decider: You’re an accomplished stand-up comedian, actor, and now an author. How did your role as an advice-giver come about?
Eugene Mirman: I had an advice column on my site and had been writing an online column for The Village Voice. It turned out to be really fun to have people write in and then answer their questions. Eventually I made a little book of that to sell on tour and then I took that, pitched it as a book, and it sort of morphed into [The Will To Whatevs].
D: Did you get a lot of outlandish questions in that column?
EM: I would try not respond to people’s weirdest questions because the weirdest question is like: [Adopts shrill voice] “I’ve got a monkey in my room and I don’t know about ice cream!” And I don’t know what to say—that isn’t a question. It’s much more fun to answer someone who has a problem with a real-life situation than it is to answer somebody’s problems with a jellybean monster.
D: Would you write another book?
EM: I had a lot of fun writing this book. It was a huge learning curve, there were tons of things that I wrote and decided didn’t make sense, but it gets easier as you do it more and more. I would do it again—especially if someone gave me $1 million.
D: Was the writing process similar to working on a stand-up routine?
EM: No, because with stand-up you can get onstage, tell a joke, and if no one laughs then you know that they’re all totally wrong. [Laughs.] Stand-up is the only art form where you get immediate feedback on whether people like the art you’ve made.
D: How does your book tour compare to a comedy tour?
EM: I’ll be reading from the book, maybe tell some stories, do a Q&A. I might show a video of advice. Audience members will have in-person helpful-helpfulness. My guess is if they do what I suggest it will either work or be a disaster, but there won’t be any advice that’s in the middle.
D: You’re known for touring with bands like Modest Mouse and Yo La Tengo. Is this a renewed partnership between comedians and musicians, or a revival of the past?
EM: Before the late ’70s it was really common. Comedy clubs were something that came to pass in the ’80s, but toward the end of that, in the early ’90s, people started doing comedy again in alternative spaces. So if you look at the last 50 years, it’s really the comedy clubs that are the odd thing.
D: How has new media affected these different platforms?
EM: With the Internet and all these cable TV shows and channels and stuff, you have countless outlets. You can make an album and put it out fairly cheaply and it can be on iTunes and you can make money. You have a lot more control than you did probably 10, 20 years ago.
D: Do you view yourself as an “absurdist” comic?
EM: That label mostly exists because I put the word in the title of my first album, which made me consider putting random words on the title of my albums to get relabeled. Not that it’s inaccurate, but I’m neutral on the label—it’s a word that describes the things that I do sometimes.
D: Any other self-given labels?
EM: Maestro. El Presidente. [Laughs.] I’m not sure if it’s good to label yourself, unless you do it secretly and then slowly put it out in the ether.
D: Having done albums, stand-up, TV shows, and now the book, what other media do you want to try?
EM: A Eugene Mirman automobile line. It would look like a regular car but there would be buttons in it that did great stuff. It would have soup in the glove compartment and sweet seats made out of dragons.

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:03 pm

BLEUGH!!!!!

What happened to Tuesday!?! Was it just me or did Presidents day holiday throw me off??? I missed Eugene last night!!!
:bang: :bang: :witsend: :computer: :angry2: :cross: :cross: :cross:

Ok...I'm calming down now...he will be back in a month...hope I can catch at least one of the may shows... :nails:

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:37 pm

While I didn't catch him at his show on Tuesday, he did come into the club I was working, so I got this quick picture with Eugene. BTW- he was with FOTC's manager. I recognized him but didn't remember who he was until they had left. :doh:

Now, for anyone who has every been to Austin or Austin during SXSW, Eugene nails it on the head in this clip of his.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZYsfNdKlM

EDIT: My bad, that was actually John Wesley Harding with him. :worry: You see one musician, you see thousands!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:54 pm

I just found this while browsing for new music suggestions.

http://pitchfork.com/features/guest-lists/7641-eugene-mirman/

Eugene did a guest list/interview for Pitchfork.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:44 pm

This is how Eugene handles a heckler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BUX4H6zXY

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Austin American Statesman interview (just noticed that the interviewer is an acquaintance of mine :) ) :

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/ ... index.html

Interview: Comedian Eugene Mirman on affable Conchords and chunky youth
By Matthew Odam | Monday, May 4, 2009

Eugene Mirman has become one of those rare things in the indie entertainment world — both ubiquitous and fairly anonymous. He’s shared the stage with indie rockers such as Modest Mouse and Yo La Tengo, has a slew of videos populating the Web, been seen up and down the TV dial, and has even penned a satirical self-help book, ‘The Will to Whatevs.’

But Mirman’s most mainstream visibility has come courtesy of his work on HBO’s musical comedy ‘Flight of the Conchords.’ He is currently opening for the show’s eponymous stars Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement. We caught up with Mirman by phone to discuss his comedy influences and fat kids.

The M.O.: There seems more than ever to be a clan of comedians working together on all sorts of projects, from TV to stand-up to Web content. Can you talk about having that rich peer group with which to work and is there any sense of competition among you?

Mirman: I would say that it actually isn’t really that competitive. I’m only really speaking from my point of view, in the sense that it’s not like I’m going to get the same role as Kristin Schaal would get, or Aziz (Ansari) or somebody. In terms of collaborating in the different shows and things, it’s fun. I have nothing to compare it to. It’s hard to say, ‘it’s amazing, unlike this other thing.’ For me, that has been my career … it’s been collaborating with and knowing these people. But I think it’s amazing. I think I happen to be in place with tons of incredibly funny people making very, very interesting stuff.

To what do you trace your absurdist sensibility and humor?

I think just a lot of the things I liked as a kid. I guess I don’t know. I wanna say the Velvet Underground, but they’re not particularly absurd (laughs).

What was the idea behind your book “The Will to Whatevs” and who were you trying to help, Eugene?

Fat kids.

What do fat kids need help with?

I don’t know. But I’m pretty sure this book will help them.

What has the experience like working with Bret and Jemaine?

Working on the show was super fun. They’re just genuinely extremely sweet guys and very, very funny. But touring with them is unbearable because they’re just so polite. Like, come on, stop being so nice to those around you, it’s exhausting. I get it, you’re a really great person.

You’ve been to Austin a thousand times. Is there anything you look forward to doing when you get the chance to come to town.

I actually do love Austin. When I think of places I would potentially live, Austin is definitely one of them. There’s a place that used to be called Ben’s Barbecue that’s my favorite. Even though it changed its name (J. Kelly’s Barbecue), the recipes are all the same. So I go there and I try to go to Waterloo Records, and sort of just in general, to cute little shops and weird places.

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Thu May 07, 2009 6:54 pm

Eugene's tips for opening bands from The Onion : http://austin.decider.com/articles/euge ... nds,27652/

by Sean ONeal May 7, 2009 While it’s hardly a guaranteed ticket to stardom, opening for a popular headlining act is a sweet gig: You get the same exposure, most of the perks, and a bigger cut of the door than you’d ever get on your own, and audience expectations are so low that there’s nowhere to go but up. Of course, not everyone knows how to behave as an opening act, which is why Decider asked comedian Eugene Mirman—who will be warming up the crowd for tonight's Flight Of The Conchords show at Bass Hall—to offer his take on how to make the most of your moment of reflected glory.
Hanging out backstage
Eugene Mirman: We have five different dressing rooms, and a place where we make people wait that we never plan on talking to. There’s a room for beer, and then another room with the glasses for the beer. It’s a real pain. There’s one room that’s antipasti, and another one for salad—which they unnecessarily distinguish. They put the hot stuff in one room, cold stuff in another. If you can imagine, like, a Papa Gino’s buffet spread throughout a castle, with really dim office lighting. And then there’s the f*** room.
Decider: What goes on in the f*** room?
EM: Piles of blooming. It’s basically just a lot of beanbag chairs with people blooming on them. It’s very uncomfortable. As the opening act, I have to help put it together.
D: When trashing dressing rooms, do you start with the headliner’s?
EM: Actually, usually the only thing in your dressing room is a sad, crappy couch, so it would just be depressing to make it even more crappy.
Taking advantage of the rider
EM: I have my own rider, but it’s easier to get it done if you put it on the headlining band’s. So that’s where I put the roller-skate shoes, crossbows, the saffron. I travel with my own wok, so I need lots of spices and oils. I always need fresh wasabi root. I have seafood flown in. The expensive stuff always goes on their rider when they’re not looking. Nobody’s going to get mad at Flight Of The Conchords for having $2500 worth of saffron delivered.
Getting groupies
EM: Here’s a trick I learned long ago: Write your phone number in mirror writing on their breasts while they’re distracted—say, by the chaos of fame—so that when they go home and they’re washing their breasts in the sink, they’ll look up and go, “Holy s***, I have Eugene’s number.” This is also how I find love.
D: Do you find that being an opening act makes you second-tier to groupies?
EM: No, people want a piece of whatever they can get. But you also don’t want a lunatic, which is why I communicate by writing a message that can only be deduced in a mirror.
Warming up the audience
EM: It’s important to prepare them for the worst in life. People come to forget their problems, and it’s my job, right before I leave, to go, “Don’t forget: You’re going through a divorce and there’s a recession.” It’s always good to end on a pensive note.
During the headliner
EM: I’m usually off building stuff, cooking things, making to-do lists. It’s my quiet time to reflect. Otherwise, it’s just mayhem back there. All that free spaghetti.
D: When is the right time to run back onstage for an impromptu duet?
EM: Unfortunately, I don’t really sing, so the best I could do would be to run back out and light my arm on fire. The perfect time to do that would be right after the last encore. I like the idea of people milling about trying to leave, and then they see a man running back onstage screaming with his arm on fire. That’s how you create an Internet hubbub. The blogosphere erupts, Facebook unfurls its claws, and people say, “Man, we should have stayed.”
D: Do you look at being an opener as a game of one-upmanship?
EM: I think of it more as a concerto, even though I don’t know what a concerto sounds like. It has movements, right? It’s like a delicious play, one that can be truly savored. I’m the soup and they’re the lamb’s leg. You can’t just go right to the lamb. You’d be like, “Whoa, this definitely needs some soup.” Lighting my arm on fire, that’s the crème brûlée. Basically, I’m a sorbet that you can’t get out of your head.

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”