Bret got married

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
kellysouthpaw

Re: Bret got married

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:09 pm

I have to agree - I genuinely care for these guys. I often wonder how Jemaine is adjusting to fatherhood, and if he and Miranda are getting enough sleep, and hoping they're still getting along (taking care of a young baby can really cause tension in a relationship as I'm sure is no surprise to anyone with children here) and everything. Yis I find Jemaine an incredibly handsome man, who is just a great person besides. But I would never think to say a horrible thing about the one he loves out of jealousy or what-have-you. That is a line I just couldn't think of crossing. These men have gone above and beyond to take care and think of their fans: how then is it possible for some fans to be so blatantly disrespectful and rude in return?

I saw a blog post online by edit: Not Chelsea Handler...just some guy it turns out...and he says some HORRIBLE things about Miranda and I got SO angry at him for this. Absolutely inexcusable. It's not even something you JOKE about.

*drops 2 cents in jar* to follow ardy :)

P.S. To stay on topic, I wonder if they will find out the sex before birth? I also wonder how far along she is...
Last edited by kellysouthpaw on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks, slut_angel. :blush:

I respect their desire for privacy and all, but I do wish they'd ease up once in a while and DISH! :lol: Plus, I wanna see some adorable baby pics! Come ON, guys, throw us a bone!

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Yup, I have to admit that I do wonder all those things. But I'd hate to think of them getting pestered by nosey reporters asking them questions they don't want to answer, just so that I could know. Let no-one pap a Conchord on my behalf :angelic: <flutters off to do it in the clouds>

Hoping for the healthy eventual arrival of one cute dark-haired little baby :baby:
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:08 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:Image

NOBODY ASKED MY PERMISSION.

Turnip you crack me up.

That said Congrats to Bret and Hannah and the little one on the way. :yay: :babyblanket: :family: :baby: :clap:

I hope their kids do grow up to be friends. That would just be the icing on the Conchord cake. :D
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

JulesJules

Postby JulesJules » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Awww, this is great news. I'm very happy for the newlyweds, and wish them well. Great news on the Baby Boomer too. :supz:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:19 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:Image

NOBODY ASKED MY PERMISSION.

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

A huge congrats to Bret and Hannah on their marriage and expecting their first child! :clap:

You guys make me laugh so much! Thank you all for all the pleasant thoughts e.g. Sophocles and Bret's child forming 'FOTC Deux'. Naming the child 'Brettina'/'Boomer'/'Boom King Jnr' etc. And the thought of Bret's child, James Bobin's child, Rhys' child Finn and Jemaine's child Sophocles all becoming mates- how cute! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

halokiti

Postby halokiti » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:05 am

Sorry Turnip.

I'll just have to continue in my quest to find a guy that looks like Bret or Jermaine or a combination of the two who isn't married. Congrats to Bret and Hannah. All the best.

eejm

Postby eejm » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:58 am

Best of luck to both Bret, Hannah, and their new little one!

I know that Bret was pretty devastated when he found out that I was married and had a child, but he seemed to be buck up and move on, so I guess I can do the same for him. :D

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:19 am

Congrats and a lifetime of happiness to them!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:51 am

A sweet little article from the NZ Herald popped into my alerts this morning with a few heart-warming details about the wedding. Bret's dad is the source of the quotes, so presumably this info has been stamped as McKenzie-Clarke Approved for Public Knowledge. I won't quote the whole article here, as the NZ Herald deserves the page-views, but here's a little snippet to entice you:

Bret's father, Peter McKenzie, said Wednesday's modest wedding of just 25 guests was full of their closest friends and family, including a number of people involved with Flight of the Conchords who had flown from America. After the ceremony, guests enjoyed drinks at Wellington's Hawthorne cocktail bar, co-owned by McKenzie's brothers Jonathan and Justin, before dinner at Polo in Miramar.

"It was a very small, close wedding and it was just a great occasion," said Peter McKenzie. "Hannah looked beautiful in a lovely dress and she was beaming for the entire day. They didn't want it to be a public event so everything was low-key."

Awwww. My stony, cynical heart just shattered into a million pieces. I'm so glad to know it was a lovely celebration. But for all that I'm a ravenously curious girl, and want to know everything, I hope for their sanity that they can keep their personal lives private now. It's not that it's a secret, or that their life together is even unfathomably fascinating and sophisticated. Frankly, I suspect most of it's pretty mundane, full of lovely but very ordinary things, like all of our lives. But it's theirs. It's tender, and it's precious, but it's not mine, and it's important that I not know everything about it.

I'm worried that it sounds like I'm lecturing. I promise that I'm not. I'm just sort of thinking aloud, and trying to find the principled path on this one for myself. I'm a researcher by nature and by trade, and I have a difficult time stopping myself from winkling out every last morsel of detail about the things I find interesting. But for all the joy Bret and Jemaine have given me, I feel like I owe it to them to cherish my ignorance of their private lives. So I'm going to try really hard. (She said, gnawing her knuckles.)

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:42 pm

That is lovely, Turnip. And looks like baby due in July!

ASmallTurnip wrote:But for all the joy Bret and Jemaine have given me, I feel like I owe it to them to cherish my ignorance of their private lives. So I'm going to try really hard. (She said, gnawing her knuckles.)

Am having a spot of bother forcing my halo on over my horns as well :seesaw: ... I truly want to be saintly and non-intrusive. And I have to stop this vague feeling of sadness as well.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:14 pm

trefusis wrote:Am having a spot of bother forcing my halo on over my horns as well :seesaw: ... I truly want to be saintly and non-intrusive. And I have to stop this vague feeling of sadness as well.

Can I admit something? I'm kind of surprised and frankly embarrassed at how the news of Bret's wedding and impending fatherhood has affected me over the last couple of days. I've been feeling kind of bruised and emotionally fraught and unable to figure out exactly why. I think it's complicated, and essentially has very little to do with my lovely weedy shy guy, who I wish only good and gentle and happy things for.

But does anyone else ever go through odd moments when it seems like everyone around them is settling down and making families and buying houses and generally making a place for themselves in the world? I'm 27, and it feels like all of my friends are getting married these days, and I can't even begin to figure out how that makes me feel. I mean, I don't need to be married. I've never thought of that as a prerequisite for a wonderful, joyful life. And I desperately, desperately don't want to be stuck with someone I don't love: I think the loneliest a person can be is lying in bed, staring at the back of their spouse's head in the dark, wondering how long they can go on pretending to the world that everything is fine.

But. There are moments when I feel that bitter, shameful flash of jealousy when I hear about people, like Bret, finding and marrying their partners in life. Finding the person who adores them even when they're cranky and unshowered and petulant and unreasonable, the person who holds tightly to their sweaty hand through the tough stuff, the person who loves them and believes in them even when they don't love or believe in themselves. And I have faith that these things are possible for me, but some days it's hard to hold on to that idea, you know?

It's bizarre and embarrassing to me that this current spate of tortured self-pity has been triggered by the marriage and parenthood of someone I don't even know. I mean, for Christ's sake, I'm a grown-up. I suppose it's just that, in a funny way, I feel like Bret and Jemaine are friends of mine, in that cheery imaginary way that happens when you spend time in the laughing company of people you haven't actually ever met. It's weird, it's totally weird, I get that. But just like I sobbed my little heart out as a kid when Bambi's mother was shot, it feels strangely real to me. It's as if everyone in my world is all twitterpated and shiningly in love - even my IMAGINARY FRIENDS. :D

Nevermind. Poor old Turnip will find a nice carrot to love her one day. Or she'll find something else wonderful, and that'll be great. But right now, it's just me and this toblerone bar, and a lovesick lament on my ukulele. Who wants to come over and pour the wine? :yawinkle:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:57 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:I'm kind of surprised and frankly embarrassed at how the news of Bret's wedding and impending fatherhood has affected me over the last couple of days. I've been feeling kind of bruised and emotionally fraught and unable to figure out exactly why. I think it's complicated, and essentially has very little to do with my lovely weedy shy guy, who I wish only good and gentle and happy things for.

Will have to claim the fifth on some of what you've said, but I've also been thrown a lot more than I'd expected. My reasons are a bit different: and some of it, I fear, does have quite a lot to do with the guy himself. Which is just plain bizarre :worry: . But I also feel a bit like I did when a very good (male, platonic) friend got married - cried my eyes out when he was having the first dance with his beautiful wife, to the point where his mad old aunt assumed that I must be an ex and spent the remainder of the evening giving me increasingly drunken counsel. As well as something beginning, there's a sense of something ending.

At the risk of sounding like all the mad old aunts in the world... you have so much time. More than you think you have.

Argh, I suspect that you and I are arriving at a similar place from opposite directions. Here is our Projection Party:

:goodman: :rock: :partyman:

If there was a Toblerone and a carrot, they'd be there as well.

<Now have we, or have we not, veered off-topic yet? :puzzled: >

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:10 pm

:goodman: I totally get what you guys are saying. Heck, *I* even felt a little bit of it, and my feelings for the imaginary Bret in my head are totally platonic, and I'm happily married to boot.

:partyman: Hey, pass me that Toblerone, would ya?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:54 pm

First of all, this part of the article bugged me and it's not at all Bret related
Fellow Conchord Jemaine Clement married actress Miranda Manasiadis in Los Angeles earlier this year, after welcoming a son in October.
Pretty sure they got married in August of '08 right? I could make some "New Zealanders are way behind the times" jokes but I won't!

Second of all, lovely article. I was beaming ear to ear for my little Bret-y. So great for them to have made it official!

Turnip - dear you make me sad with all this talk :( I could console you with the "Things'll... work out" talking stove bit, but I don't really know that for sure and I'd hate for it to come bite me in the rump someday :lol: joking. A lot of what you say hits home for all of us, I think. The guys are so down to earth it's hard not to feel as if you know them on a more personal level. So when you are single and you see your friends (perceived friends) get off and get hitched, it hurts a little bit. More for yourself than for them. I definitely know where you're coming from with this. It's difficult. And your part about "staring at your spouse's head in the dark wondering how long you can go on like this" - my heart broke after I read it. I've been in a relationship like that, and it was so nice to get out of it. No one should go through that, not even if it's to keep from being the "spinster". Because I've been both, and I'll take the spinster any day. :goodman: There, there...there, there, there, there, there.

Return to “Bret McKenzie”